Table of Contents
Himalaya Ashwagandha is herbal medicine from Himalaya Drug Company. It contains single pure herb extract of Ashwagandha. Himalaya Ashvagandha is herbal supplement for improving overall health. It is excellent rejuvenator, a general health tonic and a cure for a number of health complaints.
Ashwagandha is sedative, diuretic, anti-inflammatory and generally indicated for increasing energy, endurance, and acts as an-adaptogen that exerts a strong immunostimulatory and anti-stress agent. In Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is indicated for cold and coughs, ulcers, emaciation, diabetes, conjunctivitis, epilepsy, insomnia, senile dementia, leprosy, Parkinson’s disease, nervous disorders, rheumatism, arthritis, intestinal infections, bronchitis, asthma, impotence and a suppressant in HIV/AIDS patients.
Ashwagandha promotes a stronger immune system, physical strength, lustrous complexion, clarity of mind and sense of Well-being.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Name of Product: Himalaya Ashvagandha GENERAL WELLNESS
- Manufacturer: The Himalaya Drug Company, Makali, BENGALURU 562 123 India.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Medicine
- Main Indication: Rejuvenative tonic
- Suitable for: Any person above the age of 18
- MRP/Price (Variable): Himalaya Herbals Ashvagandha 60 Capsules @ Rs. 135.00
Ingredients of Himalaya Ashvagandha
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Ashwagandha Roots
Know the Ingredient
Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal (Solanaceae)
Ashwagandha Medicinal Uses and Health Benefits: This is also known as Withania, Winter Cherry, Indian Winter Cherry and Indian Ginseng. For the medicinal purpose the roots of the plant are used. It is especially useful for males as it promotes libido and increases the production of bone marrow and semen. It is well known for its aphrodisiac property.
- Alkaloids: About 13 alkaloids are known as Isopelletierine, Anaferine, Cuseohygrine, Anahygrine, Tropine etc.
- Somniferin: It is a bitter alkaloid with some hypnotic activity.
- Steroidal Lactones: Withanolides, Withanoferins.
Saponins, resin, Iron, fat, coloring matters, a reducing sugar, phytosterol, Ipuranol and a mixture of saturated and unsaturated acids.
Ashwagandha is one of the best Ayurvedic herb with alterative, aphrodisiac, deobstruent, diuretic, narcotic, sedative, restorative rejuvenative, antiageing, immunostimulatory and adaptogenic properties. It stimulates the immune system, reduces inflammation, promotes memory, and helps maintain general health and wellness.
- Adaptogen: Substance considered to help the body adapt to stress.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Antianaemic: Treat or to prevent anemia.
- Antidepressant: Prevent or treat depression.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antitumor: Inhibiting the growth of a tumor or tumors.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulates sexual desire.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Reproductive tonic: Tonic for reproductive organs.
- Sedative: Promoting calm or inducing sleep
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Benefits of Himalaya Ashvagandha
- It is natural antioxidant.
- It helps to reduce level of stress and tension.
- It improves energy level.
- It supports better sleep.
- It is Rejuvenating.
- It helps to lower blood pressure and is highly effective in stopping the formation of stress induced ulcers.
For males, Ashwagandha promotes sexual health by uplifting the mood, reducing anxiety, improving energy levels and fertility, thus supporting sexual performance.
It has a direct spermatogenic effect and helps to improve sperm count. It exerts testosterone like effect influencing the seminiferous tubules.
- It supports female reproductive system, and increases ovarian weight and folliculogenesis.
- It increases hemoglobin (red blood count) and hair melanin.
- It stabilizes blood sugar and lowers cholesterol.
Ashwagandha is anabolic in effect and mainly considered to help in weight gain. But it may help in weight loss when used in combination with other weight loss enhancing supplements in stress related weight gain.
When a person is stressed more Cortisol hormone is produced by the adrenal glands. Cortisol stimulates glucose production and triggers a hunger response in the brain. Ashwagandha can naturally lower cortisol levels up to 26%. Because it is an adaptogenic herb, it helps support cortisol production and the adrenal glands. It also helps to lose weight by reducing swelling in the body and improving hemoglobin level.
It is from well-known and trusted brand Himalaya.
It is free from sugar, artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives, and gelatin.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Ashvagandha
- As a tonic
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- Joint inflammation
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Skin disorders
- Ulcers, acid reflux
The Dosage of Himalaya Ashvagandha
The recommended dosage is 1 capsule twice a day (500mg/day) after the meal with water or milk or as directed by physician.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- Specific contraindications have not been identified.
- Do not take if congested.
- It is difficult to digest without digestive spices.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- Always take in recommended doses.
- Excessive doses of ashwagandha should not be taken during pregnancy. Though traditionally used during pregnancy to strengthen the uterus and health of the mother and child.
- Some studies contraindicate use of Ashwagandha (spasmolytic activity on the uterus) during pregnancy.
- Do not take this herb with other sedatives or an anti-anxiety drugs.
- Large doses can cause diarrhea, stomach upset and Ashwagandha may have blood-glucose-lowering
- effects, these seem to be mild, and would not generally be expected to affect the control of diabetes with conventional medicines.
- Ashwagandha may affect the reliability of digoxin assays, and interfere with the control of hypo- and hyperthyroidism.
- Limited evidence suggests that Ashwagandha increases thyroid hormone levels and therefore interferes with the control of hypoand hyperthyroidism.
High dosages of alkaloids from Withania exhibit prolonged hypotensive, bradycardiac and respiratory stimulant actions, may also have depressant effect on higher cerebral centers; sedative effects have also been demonstrated.