Table of Contents
Hadjod Capsules from Himalaya Drug Company is prepared from Hadjod and used for weak bones and bone fracture.
Asthisrinkala, Mangaravalli, Pirandai, Hadajora or Hadjod consists of dried stem of Cissus quadrangularis Linn. (Fam. Vitaceae), a perennial fleshy cactus-like climber with tendrils and a quadrangular stem, found throughout the hotter parts of India alongside hedges. It is indicated in intestinal parasites, Vata-Kapha roga, fractures, and joint pain. It is used as a specific for fractures of bones. For dislocation of joints and bone fractures. The stem is given internally with milk and its medicated oil was massaged externally.
Extracts and powders of Cissus quadrangularis have been used for many years to promote bone and tissues healing, as an analgesic, to treat infections, as an anabolic, and to promote weight loss and weight management.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Himalaya Drug Company
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary / Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Bone fracture
- MRP/Price: Himalaya Hadjod Tablets 250 mg-60 Tablets Rs 150.00
- Best Before: 2 years from the date of manufacture
- Storage: Cool and dry place
Himalaya Hadjod Capsules Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
Each capsule contains
Asthisamhara Cissus quadrangularis Synonyms Vitis quadrangularis Stem 250 mg
Cissus quadrangularis is commonly known as Asthisamhari, Vajravalli, Asthishrinkhala, Asthisamhara, Kandavalli, Vajrangi, Asthisamyojaka, Hadjod, Hadjora, Hadsankari, Hadsarihari and Kandvel. It is a succulent plant of family Vitaceae commonly found throughout the hotter parts of India. All parts such as stems, leaves, roots possess medicinal properties. Asthi sarhhara is useful in asthi bhagna (fracture of bone). It promotes strength and alleviates vayu.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Order: Vitales
- Family: Vitaceae
- Genus: Cissus
- Species: quadrangularis
The plant contains calcium oxalate, β-carotene, ascorbic acid, β-sitosterol and 3-ketosteroids, also flavonoids such as quercetin, and kaempferol. The stem contains two unsymmetrical tetracyclic triterpenoids, onocer-7-ene-3α, 21β-diol and onocer- 7-ene-3β, 21 α –diol, two steroidal principles I and II, δ-amyrin, δ-amyrone. The air dried plant contains moisture 13.1%, protein 12.8%, fat and wax 1.0%, fibre 15.6%, carbohydrates 36.6%, mucilage and pectin s 1.2%, and ash 18.2 %. Phosphates of sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium are also present.
Cissus quadrangularis contains 2 tetracyclic triterpenoids and 2 steroidal principles. Steriods supports better rate of fracture- healing by influencing early regeneration of all connective tissues involved in the healing and quicker mineralization of the callus.
Cissus Quadrangularis Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Cissus Quadrangularis or Bone Setter is known as in Sanskrit Asthisamharaka. It is considered sweet and pungent in taste (Rasa), pungent after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya).
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Madhura (Sweet)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Dosha Effect: Vatahara, Kaphahara
It gives strength to bones and joints and supports healing of bone fracture. Fresh juice obtained from the plant is given in a dose of 10-20 ml for this purpose.
Ayurvedic Actions / Karma
- Ama nashak: toxin digester
- Kasahara: Removes cough
- Krimighna: Destroys worms
- Pitta vardhak: Increases pitta
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha
- Vrishya: Increases sexual potency, the quantity of semen
Biomedical Action of Himalaya Hadjod Capsules
- Analgesic: Acting to relieve pain.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antiosteoporotic: Countering osteoporosis, whole plant possesses antiosteoporotic activity.
- Antioxidant: Exhibits strong antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity.
- Anti-ulcer: Significant antiulcer activity by decreasing gastric secretions and by enhancing glycoprotein levels.
- Bone healing: Due to rich content of calcium, phosphorous and phytoestrogenic steroids it is shown to influence early regeneration and quick mineralization of bone fracture healing process.
- Central nervous system activity: The root extract possesses central nervous system depressant activity.
Himalaya Hadjod Capsules Health Benefits
- It strengthens the bones.
- It hastens the fracture healing.
- It reduces swelling.
- It reduces fracture pain.
Himalaya Hadjod Capsules Therapeutic Uses
Himalaya Hadjod Capsules, supports healthy bone restoration and bone formation. It reduces the pain and inflammation associated with fractures and assist in building the chemical composition of fractured and a weak bones.
- Any type of bone fractures
- Internal Bleeding
- Joint pains
- Low bone mineral density
- Weak and fragile bones
Himalaya Hadjod Capsules Dosage
The recommended dosage of medicine is 2 tablets.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with water.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
- Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of the same disease.
- It may lower blood sugar.
- Stop using this at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery as it lowers blood sugar level.
- Specific contraindications have not been identified.
- It increases Pitta.
In some sensitive people it may produce some side effects due to its heating and drying action, such as burning sensation, restlessness, insomnia, dryness, dry mouth, sweating etc.
Study about safety of taking Cissus quadrangularis in pregnancy or breastfeeding is not available. Hence, avoid its use while pregnant and breastfeeding. Please inform your physician before consuming in the following situations: