Table of Contents
Bhringrajasava is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine containing Bhringraj Ras (Eclipta alba), Chaturjaat, Haritaki, Pippali, Jatiphala and Jaggery. Chaturjat Churna is formed by mixing of Dalchini (bark Cinamonum zeylanicum), Ela (seeds of Elletaria cardamomum), Tejpatta (leaves of Cinnamomum tamala) and Nagkesar (flowers of Mesua ferrea). Traditionally Chaturjat is prescribed for improving appetite, promoting digestion, curing hepatic and renal disorders. It is Ruksha, Tikshna, Laghu and Ushna Veerya.
Bhringrajasava is an Asava and taken in a dose of 12-24 ml twice a day with an equal water after meals. It is indicated in Kapha Roga, Chronic Fever, Diseases of eyes, Weakness and Hair Greying. It is also used as Liver and General Tonic. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Ayurvedic Asava
- Main Indications: As a General Tonic, Respiratory Diseases (Cough, Asthma, Breathlessness, Anemia, Bronchitis, etc.)
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Dosha Effect: Balances Vata and Kapha
Ingredients of Bhringrajasava
- Bhringraj Eclipta alba Asteraceae Wh.pl. 12.250 liter
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula Combretaceae Fr. 384grams
- Pippali Piper longum Piperaceae Fr. 96grams
- Jatiphala Myristica fragrance Myristicaceae Fr. 96grams
- Lavanga Sygizium aromaticum Myrtaceae Fl. 96grams
- Twak Cinnamomum zeylanicum Lauraceae Br. 96grams
- Ela Elatteria cardamom Zingiberaceae Sd. 96grams
- Tamalapatra Cinnamomum tamala Lauraceae Lf. 96 grams
- Nagakesara Messua ferrea Guttiferae Fl. 96grams
- Guda Cane jaggery (Old) 9.600 kgs
The principle ingredient of this medicine is Bhringraj which is also known as Bhangra, Bhangro, Kesh Raja, Keshya and Eclipta. This plant grows along streams in hot areas and on humid soil. Bhringraj contains many alkaloids, alkenynes, cardiac glycosides, coumarins, flavonoids, lipids, polyacetylene compounds, triterpenes, steroids, saponins, steroidal alkaloids, etc. For the medicinal purpose the paste of whole plant of Bhringraj is used, both internally and externally.
This medicinal plant is bitter, hot and sharp taste and is used for the treatment of Kapha and Vata Roga. It has deobstruent, depurative, emetic, purgative, styptic, anti-hepatotoxic, anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcerogenic, antibiotic, expectorant, antipyretic, stomachic, anti-abortifacient, anti-asthmatic and anti-bronchitis properties. Eclipta alba is an effective the liver tonic and given in case of enlargement of the liver and spleen.
Bhringraj is revitalizer and used as a anti-aging drug in Ayurveda. Internally, whole plant is used in the treatment of anemia, skin diseases, cough, bronchitis, allergic urticaria, flatulence, colic, the liver infections, splenic and the liver enlargements, catarrhal jaundice, vertigo, tinnitus, tooth loss, premature greying of hair, hyperacidity, gastritis, dysentery, night blindness, eye diseases, constipation and as an antiseptic to ulcers.
Haritaki / Chebulic myrobalan / Terminalia chebula, consists of the pericarp of mature fruits of Terminalia chebula Retz. (Fam. Combretaceae), a moderate sized or large tree found throughout India, chiefly in deciduous forests and areas of light rainfall.
Its synonym in Sanskrit are Abhaya, Kayastha, Shiva, Pathya, and Vijaya. The main consitituent of Haritaki is Tannins, anthraquinones and polyphenolic compounds.
It is a tonic drug and is good for the digestive system. The main therapeutic use of Haritaki is a digestive and respiratory ailments. It has all taste except salty (rasa), light (Laghu), rough or dry (ruksa) in properties (Guna), hot (Ushna) is potency (Virya) and pungent (Katu) Vipaka. It balances Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. It works on all body tissues. It is a tonic with anti-inflammatory, laxative, astringent, diuretic, carminative, and anthelmintic properties. Haritaki treats intestinal parasites, constipation, diarrhea, gas, cough and diseases of eyes.
Pippali is heating, stimulant, carminative, alterative, laxative and useful in cough, hoarseness, asthma, dyspepsia, paralysis, etc.
Cinnamomum tamala Fr. Nees., belonging to family Lauraceae, is known as Indian Cassia, bay leaves and Tezpatta. Tejpatta is bitter, sweet, aromatic, antioxidants, anti-hyperglycemic, anthelmintic, diuretic, carminative and anti-inflammatory. It detoxifies blood, improves appetite and digestion.
Ela / Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is cool in potency. It is Tridosh-har, digestive, carminative, nutritive, laxative, and expectorant. It has diuretic action and gives relief in urinary disorders. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
Benefits of Bhringrajasava
- It has Anabolic (Brimhana) effect and promotes tissue growth.
- It has Expectorant action.
- It balances Kapha and Vata dosha.
- It gives relief in cold, cough, difficult breathing, bronchitis, etc.
- It helps to gain weight.
- It improves body immunity to fight recurrent infection.
- It helps in premature hair loss and hair graying.
- It is a tonic for the liver.
- It detoxifies blood.
- It has rejuvenating, revitalizing and antiaging properties.
- It is a general tonic.
- It has aphrodisiac action.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Bhringrajasava
As a general tonic for low weight, malnutrition, Dhatu Kshaya/depletion of tissues, emaciation, fatigue, tiredness, low immunity, hair problems, low appetite, and other conditions caused by weakness
- Cold, cough, dyspnea
- Hair fall
- Pallor and emaciation of the body
- Premature hair Graying
The Dosage of Bhringrajasava
12-24 ml with an equal amount of water after meals, twice a day, or as directed by a physician.
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
- It contains 5-10% of self-generated alcohol.
- It increases weight.
- There are no known side-effects of medicine.
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- It can be safely taken during breastfeeding.
- It is hot in potency. Larger doses may cause a burning sensation.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- It contains jaggery/gud and hence it is not suitable for diabetics.
Pharmacies Making Bhringrajasava
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Baidyanath Bhringrajasava Price: 450 ml for Rs. 133.00 /-
- Dabur Bhringarajasava 450ml for INR 133.00 /-
- Sanjeevika Bringrajasava
- DAV Ayurvedic products Bhringrajasava
- Bhardwaj Pharmaceutical Works Bringrajasava
- Kapiva Bhringrajasav
- Kerala Ayurveda Bhringarajasavam
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.