Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
- 2 Biomedical Action
- 3 Benefits of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
- 4 Important Therapeutic Uses of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
- 5 The Dosage of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam is a herbal Sidhha medicine. The single ingredient of this medicine is Amukkara. Amukkara, Acuvakanthi or Amukkara Kizhangu refers to the roots of the plant, Withania somnifera. This plant is known as Ashwagandha in Ayurveda, Asgandh in Unani and Withania in Homeopathy. Amukkara Kizhangu or Amukkara Powder is nohting but Ashwagandha Powder.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Synonyms: Ashwagandha Powder, Asgand Churna, Ashwagandha Choorna
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Fatigue, weakness due to overwork or nervous exhaustion and stress. It also helps in anemia and related weakness. Famously used as Aphrodisiac, tonic and promoter of vitality.
- Suitable for: Everyone, above the age of 12.
- Dosha effect: Vata and Kapha Reducing, Pitta increasing
- Dhatu (tissue): Blood, muscle, fat, bone, nerve, reproductive
- Srota (channel): Reproductive, nervous, respiratory
- Potency: Hot
- Vipak: Madhur/Sweet
Ingredients of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
Root powder of Withania somnifera
Know the Ingredient
Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal (Solanaceae)
Ashwagandha is also known as Withania, Winter Cherry, Indian Winter Cherry and Indian Ginseng. For the medicinal purpose the roots of the plant are used. It is especially useful for males as it promotes libido and increases the production of bone marrow and semen. It is well-known for its aphrodisiac property.
- Alkaloids: About 13 alkaloids are known as Isopelletierine, Anaferine, Cuseohygrine, Anahygrine, Tropine, etc.
- Somniferin: It is a bitter alkaloid with some hypnotic activity.
- Steroidal Lactones: Withanolides, Withanoferins.
- Saponins, resin, Iron, fat, coloring matters, a reducing sugar, phytosterol, Ipuranol and a mixture of saturated and unsaturated acids.
Ashwagandha is one of the best Ayurvedic herb with alterative, aphrodisiac, deobstruent, diuretic, narcotic, sedative, restorative rejuvenative, antiaging, immunostimulatory and adaptogenic properties. It stimulates the immune system, reduces inflammation, promotes memory, and helps maintain general health and wellness.
- Adaptogen: Substance considered to help the body adapt to stress.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Antianaemic: Treat or to prevent anemia.
- Antidepressant: Prevent or treat depression.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antitumor: Inhibiting the growth of a tumor or tumors.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulates sexual desire.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Reproductive tonic: Tonic for reproductive organs.
- Sedative: Promoting calm or inducing sleep
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Benefits of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
- It is a natural antioxidant.
- It helps to reduce level of stress and tension.
- It improves energy level.
- It supports better sleep.
- It is Rejuvenating.
- It helps to lower blood pressure and is highly effective in stopping the formation of stress induced ulcers.
- For males, Ashwagandha promotes sexual health by uplifting the mood, reducing anxiety, improving energy levels and fertility, thus supporting sexual performance.
- It has a direct spermatogenic effect and helps to improve sperm count. It exerts testosterone-like effect influencing the seminiferous tubules.
- It supports female reproductive system, and increases ovarian weight and folliculogenesis.
- It increases hemoglobin (red blood count) and hair melanin.
- It stabilizes blood sugar and lowers cholesterol.
- Ashwagandha may help to encourage weight loss when used in combination with other weight loss enhancing supplements. It is helpful in stress related weight gain.
When a person is stressed more Cortisol hormone is produced by the adrenal glands. Cortisol stimulates glucose production and triggers a hunger response in the brain. Ashwagandha can naturally lower cortisol levels up to 26%. It also helps to lose weight by reducing swelling in the body, stimulating metabolism and improving hemoglobin level.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
- Promoting virility in men and fertility in women
- Acid reflux
- Cardiovascular diseases
- For immunity boosting
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- Joint inflammation
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Nervine tonic
- Skin disorders
- Vata Roga
The Dosage of Amukkara Kizhangu Choornam
Ashwagandha is taken with milk due to its Pitta reducing property. Moreover, milk also improves a nourishing effect of Ashwagandha.
Ashwagandha Powder is taken in a dose of 3-6 grams, depending on health condition, constitution, digestion, environment and many other factors.
Symptoms of anxiety and stress improve within 2 months’ continual use and male fertility may improve after 4 months. It is not known when other effects start to develop.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings Withania somnifera
- It has qualities of being heavy, hard and solid. Excessive intake can result in obstructions to the cavities of the head with excessive earwax, nasal secretions, eye secretions, etc.
- It is Pitta increasing in the high dosage.
- Excessive doses of Ashwagandha should not be taken during pregnancy. Though traditionally used during pregnancy to strengthen the uterus and health of the mother and child. BUT Some western studies contraindicate use of Ashwagandha (spasmolytic activity on the uterus) during pregnancy.
- Do not take this herb with other sedatives or an anti-anxiety drugs.
- Large doses can cause diarrhea, stomach upset and Ashwagandha may have blood-glucose-lowering effects, these seem to be mild, and would not generally be expected to affect the control of diabetes with conventional medicines.
- Ashwagandha may affect the reliability of digoxin assays, and interfere with the control of hypo- and hyperthyroidism.
- Limited evidence suggests that Ashwagandha increases thyroid hormone levels and therefore interferes with the control of hypo and hyperthyroidism.
- High dosages of alkaloids from Withania exhibit prolonged hypotensive, bradycardia and respiratory stimulant actions, may also have a depressant effect on higher cerebral centers; sedative effects have also been demonstrated.
- It increases Ama Dosha.
- Use with caution in peptic ulcer disease as it may cause gastrointestinal irritation. People who are sensitive to the Solanaceae family should use this herb with caution.
- It appears to be well tolerated according to clinical research. No significant adverse toxicity or adverse reactions reported.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.