Zinc is a nutrient which is required to build all cells of our body and stay healthy. This is very vital thing to build up immunity to fight with external bacteria and viruses. Zinc is very much required during pregnancy and childhood when brain and body is developed. If there is any deficiency of zinc then it will harm development of body tissues and will lead to serious health problems.
Information of zinc for healthy body, details of problems due to zinc deficiency, zinc supplements and foods.
Who required adequate amount of zinc diet?
- Everyone required zinc according to their age and body size.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women required more zinc.
- Infants older than 6 months also required zinc rich foods as mother milk has less zinc, so it is advised to add formula milk or other food in diet because zinc is very crucial for infants.
- Vegetarians have more chances to develop zinc deficiency because grains and vegetables have less amount of zinc.
- Alcoholic drinks decrease zinc absorption in body and increase loss of zinc in urine. So alcoholic people should take care of zinc deficiency.
Health problems due to zinc deficiency
- It can reduce body immunity which can cause problem in Wound healing and lead weight loss
- Zinc deficiency can cause several eye disease.
- Zinc deficiency causes slow growth in infants and children
- It can delay sexual development in adolescents
- It can cause impotency in men.
- Zinc deficiency can cause hair loss and other hair problems
- It can cause loss of appetite and diarrhea.
- It can decrease sense to taste food and lower alertness.
- Excess intake of zinc can also cause health problems like nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea and headache.
Foods containing zinc
In general if someone is eating variety of foods then there is very less chances of zinc deficiency.
- There are many Ayurvedic and other alternate medicines which are good source of zinc and in ayurveda Yashada bhasma is a preparation based on zinc which is very beneficial.
- Supplements like multi vitamin, iron and other containing zinc.
- Foods like seafood, red meat, poultry, beans, dairy products and nuts are rich source of zinc.
- Vegetable has less zinc
So always check diet of your family that every one is getting enough zinc along with other nutrient specially if you and your family is vegetarian and there are pregnant, infants, children in your family because they required it most. Infants older than 6 months also required zinc rich foods so please consult your paediatrician.