Table of Contents
Majun Najah is a Unani medicine containing Itrifal, Turbud, Ustukhuddus and other ingredients. This medicine is prescribed in insanity, melancholia, epilepsy and hysteria.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Manufacturer: Hamdard Laboratories (India) established by Late Hakeem Abdul Hameed Sahib.
- Hamdard Majun Najah MRP / Price: Rs 46.00 /-
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Suitable for: Unisex
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Majun Najah
- Post-e-Halela Kabuli Terminalia chebula Retz Pericarp 50 g
- Post-e-Balela Terminalia bellerica Roxb Pericarp 50 g
- Aamla Emblica officinalis Gaertn Fruit 50 g
- Halela Siyah Terminalia chebula Retz Unripe fruit 50 g
- Turbud Operculina turpethum Silva Manso, UPI Root 25 g
- Bisfayej Polypodium vulgare Linn Rhizome 25 g
- Aftimoon Cuscuta epithymum Stem 25 g
- Ustukhuddus Lavandula stoechas Inflouresence 25 g
- Qand Safaid Sugar, IP Crystal 600 g
Triphala or Itrifal is combination of Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki and used extensively in Ayurveda and Unani System of medicine for treatment of variety of disorders due to rejuvenating properties.
Post-e-Halela / Haritaki / Chebulic myrobalan / Terminalia chebula, consists of the pericarp of mature fruits of Terminalia chebula Retz. (Fam. Combretaceae), a moderate sized or large tree found throughout India, chiefly in deciduous forests and areas of light rainfall.
It is a tonic drug and is good for digestive system. The main therapeutic use of Haritaki is digestive and respiratory ailments. It works on all body tissues. It is a tonic with anti-inflammatory, laxative, astringent, diuretic, carminative, and anthelmintic properties. Haritaki treats intestinal parasites, constipation, diarrhea, gas, cough and diseases of eyes.
Post-e-Balela / Bibhitaki / Vibhitaki / Terminalia belerica, consists of the pericarp of mature fruits of Terminalia belerica. The pericarp of fruits contain Saponins, tannins (17%), glycosides, triterpenoids, mannitol, lignans, beta-sitosterol, and polyphenols. They have laxative, expectorant, bronchodilator, astringent, anthelmintic, lithotropic, eye tonic and tonic properties. Vibhitaki is considered a brain tonic and is used for insomnia, Kapha and all Vata problems.
Amla / Emblica officinalis, is cooling in nature. It contains vitamin C, fatty acids, bioflavonoids, polyphenols, cytokinins, B vitamins, calcium, potassium, iron, tannins and pectin. Amla is rejuvenative, antioxidant, hepato protective, cooling, stomachic, anti-inflammatory, laxative, hypoglycemic, diuretic and tonic. It lowers cholesterol. Amla shows beneficial effects in ulcers, gastritis, dyspepsia, acidity, peptic ulcer, general debility, constipation, hypercholesterolemia, fever, hepatitis, hemorrhoids, skin problems, urinary problems, headaches, bowel problems, chest infections, and asthma. Amalaki is a good brain tonic.
Turbud / Operculina turpethum, is a large perennial twiner with milky juice and fleshy roots. The roots are hot in potency and have purgative action.
Benefits of Majun Najah
- It is nervine tonic.
- It removes toxins from blood.
- It has laxative action and gives relief in constipation.
- It is rejuvenating.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Majun Najah
- Majoon Najah is prescribed in nervine disorders.
- Colic / Qulanj (severe pain in the abdomen caused by wind or obstruction in the intestines)
- Epilepsy (eurological disorder charaterized by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions, associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain)
- Hysteria / Ikhtenaq-ur-Raham (exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement)
- Insanity (mentally ill / madness)
- Melancholia / Malikhuliya (feeling of deep sadness)
Dosage of use Majun Najah
Majoon Najah should be taken orally in dose of 5-10 grams, with at night with water.
Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.