Table of Contents
Jawarish-e-Zanjabeel is an Unani medicine containing Zanjabeel as chief ingredient. It is useful in treating common digestive disorders such as dyspepsia, indigestion, nausea, etc. Jawarish-e-Zanjabeel improves appetite, stimulates digestion and gives relief in abdominal gas.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Manufacturer: Hamdard Laboratories (India) established by Late Hakeem Abdul Hameed Sahib.
- Purpose: Digestive disorders
- Hamdard Jawarish Zanjabeel 60 gm MRP / Price: Rs. 44 /-
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Suitable for: Unisex
Unani System of medicine evolved in Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani Tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is a traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicines are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicines are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products, etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Jawarish Zanjabeel
- Zanjabeel Zingiber officinale Rhizome 100 g
- Samagh-e-Arabi Acacia arabica Gum 50 g
- Dana Heel Khurd Elettaria cardamomum Seed 50 g
- Belgiri Aegle marmelos Fruit pulp 50 g
- Saleekha Cinnamomum cassia Stem bark 25 g
- Zarambad Curcuma zedoaria Rhizome 10 g
- Nishashta-e-Gandum Triticum aestivum Starch powder 200 g
- Qand Safaid Sugar, Crystal 1.015 kg
Method of Preparation
- Take all the ingredients.
- Clean, dry and grind the ingredients number 1 to 6 separately and pass through sieve number of mesh number 80.
- Take the required quantity of ingredient number 7 and keep separately.
- Dissolve the ingredient number 8 in 1000 ml of water on slow heat.
- Add 0.1% citric acid, while boiling, mix well and prepare the quiwam of 76% consistency.
- Remove the vessel from the fire.
- Add powders of ingredients 1 to 7 and mix thoroughly to prepare the homogenous mass and allow it to cool.
About the ingredients
Zanjabeel, Adrak, Sonth are common names of dry ginger. It is appetizer, laxative, stomachic, stimulant, anodyne, aphrodisiac, expectorant, anthelmintic and carminative and is found to be beneficial in jaundice, cough, hiccough, colic, diarrhea, flatulence, anorexia, dyspepsia, pile, hyperacidity, abdominal pain, vomiting, inflammations and rheumatoid arthritis. Dry ginger is hot in potency and reduces wind and phlegm in the body.
Gond Babool or Gum obtained from Acacia arabica is useful as a medicine because it is nutritive, demulcent (sooths inflamed surface) and coagulates the blood. This gum is mainly indicated in inflammatory conditions of respiratory, urinary or digestive tract. It sooths the surfaces and allays irritation which comes in its contact. Gum Acacia, also is also added to medicine as a vehicle for other substances. Gond Babool is frequently used in inflammatory conditions, diarrhea, stones and all diseases of the urinary system.
Elachi / Cardamom / Qaqla sighar / Elettaria cardamomum, is cold and dry in temperament. It is stimulant, stomachic, carminative diuretic in action. It is given as a laxative and tonic and helps in disease of the liver and uterus.
Benefits of Jawarish Zanjabeel
- It is intestinal tonic.
- It is hot in potency and stimulates digestion.
- It improves appetite.
- It is constipative and helps in diarrhea.
- It gives relief in bloating, gas and flatulence.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Jawarish Zanjabeel
- Jawarish Zanjabeel is helps in digestion related problems. It is given for better appetite and digestion.
- Common problems associated with weak digestion such as Dyspepsia, Indigestion, and Nausea
- Anorexia (lack or loss of appetite for food)
- Abdominal gas (belching, abdominal distention / bloating, or excessive rectal flatulence)
- Diarrhea (passage of three or more loose or liquid stools per day / more frequent passage than is normal for the individual)
The Dosage of Jawarish Zanjabeel
Jawarish Zanjabeel should be taken in a dose of 5 – 10 grams after meals with water.
Store in a cool and dry place in a tightly closed container, protected from light and moisture.