Manasamitra Vatakam is a traditional herbomineral formulation used for treating psychosomatic diseases (physical illness or other condition caused or aggravated by a mental factor such as internal conflict or stress), stress, psychiatric/mental disorders, depression, anxiety, and other brain-related disorders. This medicine is also helpful in improving brain functions, concentration, and learning.
Manasamitra Vataka is made from more than 73 unique herbal ingredients. It contains medicinal herbs such as Shankhapushpi, Vach, Ashwagandha, Vacha, Giloy, Nirgundi, Tulsi, Pushkara, Malkangni, Bilva and Bhasma of Gold, Silver, and Iron. The combination protects brain cells and prevents brain damage. It is good medicine for the brain related ailments. The medicine has very significant antioxidant action. It is also given traditionally in case of poisoning by neurotoxins such as snake poison.
Manasamitra also helps to treat a severe chronic disorder known as GAD. Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a severe, chronic, and disabling disorder characterized by excessive worry about everyday events and day-to-day difficulties. This disorder is very bad for daily life quality and is very difficult to treat. Now, Manasamitra Vataka is clinically proven Ayurvedic medicine to treat GAD and it also improves overall health condition. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Reference Text: Sahasrayoga Gutika prakarana
- Synonyms: Manasamitra Vatakam, Manasamitra Vati, Manas Mitram Vatakam
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Diseases related to brain
Manasamitra Vatakam Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
- Bala (Rt.) 1 Part
- Nagabala (Rt.) 1 Part
- Bilva (Rt./St.Bk.) 1 Part
- Dhavanimula (Prishniparni) (Pl.) 1 Part
- Vidruma (Pravala) – pishti 1 Part
- Shankhapushpi (Pl.) 1 Part
- TamracudaPadika (Pl.) 1 Part
- Pushkara mula (Pushkara) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Vaca (Rz.) 1 Part
- Shveta Candana (Ht.Wd.) 1 Part
- Raktacandana (Ht.Wd.) 1 Part
- Mauktika (Mukta) – Pishti 1 Part
- Madhuka (Fl.) 1 Part
- Tvak (St.Bk.) 1 Part
- Magadhi (Pippali) (Fr.) 1 Part
- Ghanasaraka (Karpura) (Sub.Ext.) 1 Part
- Aileya (Elavaluka) (Sd.) 1 Part
- Arkaraga (Aklari) (Pl.) 1 Part
- Nirgundikamula (Nirgundi) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Plava (Rz.) 1 Part
- Rasna (Rt./Lf.) 1 Part
- Shaileya (Shilajatu) – shuddha 1 Part
- Gojihva (Pl.) 1 Part
- Padma kesara (Adr.) 1 Part
- Jivaka (Rt.Tr.) 1 Part
- Rishabhaka (Rt.Tr.) 1 Part
- Kakoli (Sub.Rt.) 1 Part
- Kshirakakoli (Sub.Rt.) 1 Part
- Brihati (Pl.) 1 Part
- Kshudra (Kantakari) (Pl.) 1 Part
- Shravani (Munditika) (Pl.) 1 Part
- Mahashravni (Munditika) (Pl.) 1 Part
- Bhunimba (Kiratatikta) (Pl.) 1 Part
- Kritamala (Aragvadha) (St.Bk.) 1 Part
- Parushaka (Rt.) 1 Part
- Haritaki (P.) 1 Part
- Bibhitaka (P.) 1 Part
- Amalaki (P.) 1 Part
- Amrita (Guduci) (St.) 1 Part
- Shveta Sariva (Rt.) 1 Part
- Krishna Sariva (Rt.) 1 Part
- Jivanti (Rt.) 1 Part
- Somavalli (Pl.) 1 Part
- Hayagandha (Ashvagandha) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Ushira (Rt.) 1 Part
- Draksha (Dr.Fr.) 1 Part
- Yashtyahvaya (Yashti) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Riddhi (Sub. Rt. Tr.) 1 Part
- Durva (Pl.) 1 Part
- Hasapadi (Pl.) 1 Part
- Bhadra (Pl.) 1 Part
- Lavanga (Fl.Bd.) 1 Part
- Tulasi (Lf.) 1 Part
- Kunkuma (Stl./Stg) 1 Part
- Trayanti svarasa (Trayamana) (Pl.) Q.S.
- Shankhapushpi- kashaya (Pl.) Q.S.
- Vacatoya (Vaca) – kashaya (Rz.) Q.S.
- Ananta (shvetasariva) – kashaya (Rt.) Q.S.
- Lakshmana- kashaya (Rt.) Q.S.
- Bilva – kashaya (Rt.) Q.S.
- Balamula – kashaya (Rt.) Q.S.
- Gokshira (Godugdha) Q.S.
- Jiraka kvatha (Shveta jiraka) (Fr.) Q.S.
- Somavalli – svarasa (Pl.) Q.S.
- Kasturi (Mrigamada) 1 Part
- Tapya (Svarnamakshika) 1 Part
- Hema (Svarna) – Bhasma 1 Part
- Mrigashringa Bhasma 1 Part
- Kalaloha (Lauha) – Bhasma 1 Part
- Rajata bhasma 1 Part
- Stanya Q.S.
Know the Ingredients of Manasamitra Vatakam
Shankhpushpi / Convolvulus pluricaulis bears conch shell-like flowers and hence it is named as Shankhpushpi (Shankha = Conch; Pushp = Flowers). It is boon for the brain. It is a powerful brain stimulant. Shankhpushpi is hypotensive, antithyroid and sedative. It improves mental functions and reduces stress due to traumatic, chemical or psychological reasons. Shankhpushpi is used in the treatment of epilepsy, insanity, weakness of nerves and mental retardation.
Shankhpushpi is Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter) and Kashaya (Astringent) in taste (Ras) and Laghu (light), Slimy and Oily in action (Guna). Its post-digestive effect (Vipak) is Madhura (Sweet). It is a Sheet Virya herbs. Sheet Virya or Cool potency herb subdues Pitta (Bile) Vata (Wind) and increases Kapha (Mucus). Sheet Virya herb gives nourishment to the body and steadiness. It supports the building of body fluids.
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Snigdha (Unctuous), Laghu (Light), Picchal (Slimy)
- Virya (Action): Sita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
Shankhpushpi is tridoshhar and balances Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
Shankhpushpi reduces different types of stress, including psychological, chemical and traumatic. It has an anti-anxiety, hypotensive and mental function improving the property. It is a brain tonic and used to treat mental weakness, mental disorders, insanity, to improve memory.
Guduchi / Giloy / Tinospora cordifolia is recommended for diabetes, burning sensation, fever, edema, etc. It has been scientifically validated in various animal models for hypoglycemic, immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and other pharmacological activities. The aqueous and alcoholic extract of the plant has been shown to improve glucose tolerance. It has hypoglycemic, anti-oxidant and analgesic activity and reduces the burning sensation.
Triphala (Amla + Harad + Baheda) is used extensively in Ayurveda for the treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for the whole body. It is being used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. Amla, has significant acid lowering, cooling, and anti-ulcer properties. Triphala is a rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development.
Mukta Pishti is Ayurvedic preparation of Moti or Pearls. For the preparation of Moti Pishti, heat is not used. The pearls are triturated in Gulaab Jal or rose water daily and dried. The process is repeated for 21 days. Then it is powdered to get Moti Pishti. Pishti stabilizes the inherent properties of the drug with an immense reduction in its particle size allowing penetration of that drug at the cell level.
Swarnmakshik / Swarna Makshik Bhasma, Ayurvedic preparation of Swarna Makshika or yellow Pyrites. Swarna Makshik is not related to Gold BUT it is copper containing Iron pyrites with chemical formula CuFeS2 Chalcopyrite. The Swarna Makshika Bhasma contains Fe2O3 , FeS2, CuS, and SiO2. Chemically Swarna Makshika Bhasma is incinerated Chalcopyrite or Chalcopyrite Calyx.
It is Madhura, Tikta, and Kashaya in Rasa/Taste, Sheet Virya/Potency, Madura Vipaak/ Post digestive effect, and Laghu Guna/quality. It pacifies excessive Pitta and Kapha.
Swarna makshika bhasma has been used for Pandu (anemia), Anidra (insomnia), apasmara (convulsions), mandagni (poor digestion), kustha (skin diseases) and as a potent Rasayana.
Swarn Bhasma is incinerated gold. It is considered elixir. It is a Rasayana. It gives complexion, strength, and cures diseases caused by vitiation of Vata-Pitta -Kapha. It is used in the management of Visha or poisoning. Swarn bhasma is used in the treatment of T.B., fever, cough, worms, low appetite, diseases of eyes, weakness of heart and poisoning.
Rajat bhasma / Rajata Bhasma / Raupya Bhasma is a calcined bhasma of silver. It is given to strengthen the immune system and the body and combating cardiovascular diseases. It is aphrodisiac, anti-aging, scraping, and Rasayana. It gives strength and intellect.
Rajat Bhasma is excellent medicine for Prameha, vitiligo, tuberculosis, cough, piles, and emaciation.
Lauha Bhasma is Vayasthapana (anti-aging), Lekhana (emaciating) and Rasayana (immunomodulator) properties. It increases strength, complexion, and appetite. It cures diseases caused by vitiated Kapha and Pitta.
Lauha Bhasma is useful in anemia (Panduroga), chlorosis, visarpa, heart’s affections, phthisis, scrofula, general debility, sexual debility, Bright’s disease, blood impurity, jaundice, the liver and spleen complaints, pain, asthma, piles, skin disease. It promotes digestion.
Kasturi or Musk is regarded as stimulant and aphrodisiac and is used in the fever, chronic cough, general debility, and impotence. It strengthens the heart and reproductive system and awakens senses. It reduces Vata and Kapha but increases Kapha
Shring (Shrunga / MrigShringa / Mrug Shrung) refers to stag’s horn. Shringa Bhasma is indicated in pneumonia, cough, chest pain and angina.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma of Manasamitra Vatakam
- Chedana: Laxative
- Majja dhatu Rasayana: Rejuvenative to the nervous tissue
- Medhya: Promotes intellectual capacity
- Nidrajanana Promotes sleep
- Tridosahara: Alleviates all three Dosha
- Unmadaghna: Alleviates insanity and emotional instability
- Vrishya: Aphrodisiac
Manasamitra Vatakam Biomedical Action
- Analgesic: Relieves pain.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Antidepressant: Alleviates depression.
- Antispasmodic: Relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Antistress: Relaxes mind.
- Anxiolytic: Reduces anxiety.
- Astringent: Helps to stop bleeding form intestines, urinary and reproductive system.
- hypolipidemic: reduction of lipid concentrations.
- Immunomodulatory: modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels.
- Nervine sedative: Nerve Tonic, calms nerves.
- Nervine: Tonifying effect on the nervous system.
- Neuroleptic: reduce nervous tension by depressing nerve functions.
- Nootropic: Enhance memory or other cognitive functions.
- Nutritive: Providing nourishment, nutritious.
- Psychostimulant: Antidepressant or mood-elevating action.
- Psychotropic: Affect a person’s mental state.
- Sedative: Promoting calm or inducing sleep.
- Spermatogenic: sperm-producing.
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Health Benefits of Manasamitra Vatakam
- It has a protective effect on the levels of various biochemical and neurochemical parameters in blood and brain.
- It can protect against cognitive impairment during stress-induced conditions.
- This medicine is very effective in the treatment of GAD by reducing the anxiety, severity of the disease, stabilized the mood, increased the quality of life.
- Using Shirodhara therapy as an add-on to Manasamitra Vataka treatment is very good in decreasing the daytime sleepiness and improving the quality of life in patients.
- Manasamitra Vataka is a better alternative to Benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines are commonly used drugs to treat anxiety disorders, and many studies have proved their efficacy in the management of GAD.
- It nourishes the brain.
- It improves concentration by steadying neurotransmitters.
- It improves learning, grasping power and retention of memory.
- It improves mental functions and mental quotient.
- It is a mood stabilizer.
- It reduces stress and distraction.
- It controls the hyperexcitability of the nerves.
- It gives alertness and sharpness to mind.
- It gives relief in mental and physical fatigue.
- It is an excellent herbal remedy for children with low intelligence or learning problems.
- It should be used as an adjuvant to many mental disorders.
- This medicine has strong properties as an antioxidant.
Therapeutic Uses of Manasamitra Vatakam
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Anxiety and insomnia
- Apasmara (Epilepsy)
- Bhuta Badha (Psychological disorder)
- Bipolar disorder
- Damage to brain cells
- Difficult decision making
- Difficulty in speaking, Stammering, Speech problems
- Forgetfulness, poor memory, Memory loss
- Generalized anxiety disorder (gad)
- Loss of interest in daily activities, life
- Mada (Intoxication)
- Mandabuddhitva (Retarded intellect)
- Manodosha (Mental disorder)
- Mental disorders, Psychiatric disorders
- Mental stress
- Mood disorders
- Murccha (Syncope)
- Nutritional antioxidant
- obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Panic disorders
- Poor cognitive functions
- Psychiatric problem
- Samnyasa (Coma)
- Sarpa Visha (Snake poison)
- Social anxiety disorder
- Stress-related disorders
- Suicidal thoughts
- Unmada (Mania/Psychosis)
- Vakdosha (Disorder of speech)
- Vishucika (Gastroenteritis with piercing pain)
Manasamitra Vatakam Dosage
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1 tablet once or twice or thrice a day depending on the condition to treat.
- It is to be taken with milk, tender coconut water or Saraswatharishtam or as directed by the physician.
- You may take this medicine for a period of 6 months.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses. Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humors, and the properties of individual drugs.
Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of the same disease.
Pharmacies Making Manasamitra tablets
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies. While buying this medicine form any brand, do check on the label, if it contains Gold.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Kottakkal Manasamitra Vatakam 100 Tablets @ Rs 1860
- Arya Vaidya Sala Manasamitramvatakam 10 tablets @ 150
- Amrita Manasa Mitra Vatakam With Swarna Bhasma- 100 Tablets @ Rs 1,300
- Nagarjuna Maanasamithra Vatakam 50 Tab MRP INR 425
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.