Table of Contents
In Unani system of medicine, Majoon or Majun can be defined as a confections or semisolid sweet preparation where one or more single drug of the plant, animals or mineral origin are mixed in powder or liquid form in the base Qiwam. Qiwam is solution of sugar or honey or jaggery of particular consistency. Majoon are named according to the chief ingredient, inventor or action.
Majoon-e-Suranjan, is confection of Suranjan Shireen (colchicum), Zanjabeel (dry ginger), Zeera Siyah, Post Halela Zard, Turbud Safaid, Asal (honey) or Sugar and some other ingredients.
This medicine has anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, uric acid reducing and laxative properties and is useful in inflammatory condition of joints.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Manufacturer: Hamdard Laboratories (India) established by Late Hakeem Abdul Hameed Sahib.
- Purpose: Joint problems
- Hamdard Majun Suranjan 125 gram MRP / Price: Rs 55.00 /-
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Suitable for: Unisex
Unani System of medicine evolved in Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is a traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicines are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicines are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Majun Suranjan
Each dose of 5 g contains:
- Turbud Safed Ipomoea turpethum – 350.74 mg
- Roghan Badam Shirin – Prunus amygdalus Oil – 259.81 mg
- Halela Zard – Terminalia chebula Yellow – 155.89 mg
- Suranjan Shirin Safed – Colchicum luteum Sweet – 123.41 mg
- Gule Surkh – Rosa damascena – 68.20 mg
- Kishniz Kohi – Coriandrum sativum – 68.20 mg
- Zanjabeel- Zingiber officinale – 68.20 mg
- Saqmonia – Convolvulus scammonia – 68.20 mg
- Buzidan – Tanacetum umbelliferum – 45.47 mg
- Mahi Zeeraj -Animarta cocculus – 45.47 mg
- Sheetraj Hindi – Plumbago zeylanica – 45.47 mg
- Bekhe Kebar Capparis spinosa – 45.47 mg
- Tukhme Karafs- Apium graveolens – 30.85 mg
- Badiyan – Foeniculum vulgare – 30.85 mg
- Samandar Jhag – Cuttle Fish Bone – 30.85 mg
- Mirch Safed – Piper nigrum – 30.85 mg
- Satar – Satureja hortensis – 30.85 mg
- Namak Hindi – Indian Salt – 30.85 mg
- Berge Hina – Lawsonia inermis – 30.85 mg
- Shahed – Honey- 3.431 g
- Preservative q.s.
Suranjan or Colchicum luteum Baker, a type of lily plant with yellow flowers. It is found growing on grassy slopes in the temperate Himalayas, Afghanistan and Turkestan. It is effective in the treatment of gout and periodic diseases due to anti-gout and anti-inflammatory activities. Colchicine is considered best remedies for acute gout pain.
It possess following properties:
Mamooli Mus-hil (Mild purgative): Discharges one or two stool.
Moarriq (Sudorific): Causes sweat.
Mufatteh (Deobstruent): Remove the obstruction in the form of thick or sticky secretion or any other form.
Mudirat Safra (Cholagogue): Increase production of bile in liver. Also a liver tonic.
Turbud or Ipomoea turpethum, is used for treatment of constipation, digestive ailments, fever, anemia, intestinal parasites etc. It has purgative properties and helps in habitual constipation, colic and piles. It also expels inflammatory watery accumulations from blood and fat. It is given with ginger, for rheumatic and paralytic affections, anemia, jaundice and inflammations.
Post-e-Halela / Haritaki / Chebulic myrobalan / Terminalia chebula, consists of the pericarp of mature fruits of Terminalia chebula Retz. (Fam. Combretaceae), a moderate sized or large tree found throughout India, chiefly in deciduous forests and areas of light rainfall.
It is a tonic drug and is good for the digestive system. The main therapeutic use of Haritaki is a digestive and respiratory ailments. It works on all body tissues. It is a tonic with anti-inflammatory, laxative, astringent, diuretic, carminative, and anthelmintic properties. Haritaki treats intestinal parasites, constipation, diarrhea, gas, cough and diseases of eyes.
Benefits of Majun Suranjan
- It reduces swelling.
- It is beneficial in all kinds of pains like rheumatism, gout, sciatica etc.
- It gives relief in gas and constipation.
- It expels uric acid deposits from the blood and joints.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Majun Suranjan
- Majun Suranjan is mainly used in the treatment of inflammatory condition of joints.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Joint pain
- Other joint disorder
The Dosage of / How to use Majun Suranjan
Majun Suranjan should be taken orally in a dose of 5-10 grams, with at night with water.
Store in a cool and dry place in a tightly closed container, protected from light and moisture.