Table of Contents
Majun Falasfa (Majoon – E – Falasifa) is herbal Unani medicine. It strengthens kidneys, bladder, and nerves. It is indicated in disorders affecting the nerves, kidneys, and urinary bladder such as sexual debility, kidney dysfunction, excessive micturition etc. It is also given in case of gout, backache, indigestion, and loss of appetite.
Its name is given due to its use for intellectuals to improve mental power. It is Muqavvi Dimagh (Brain tonic), Muqavvi Aasab (Nervine tonic), Muqavvi Meda (Gastric tonic), Muqavvi Baah (Aphrodisiac) and Muallid Mani (Semen Procreator). In Males, it improves libido and semen quality and quantity. It thickens semen and helps in sperm formation
Majun Falasfa gives energy and improves weight. It is very nutritive due to the presence of Chamomile seeds, Coconut kernel, Chelgozha kernel, Salep orchid, and Indian Gooseberry. It also contains Trikatu which helps in better digestion of this formulation.
Majun Falasfa contains 4.82% Raisins and 75% honey or sugar. Due to its high sugar content, it should not be used in diabetes and obesity.
In Unani medicine system, Majoon or Majun are confections or sweet preparations containing the powders of drugs given in particular formulation and solution of sugar or honey. Word Majun is derived from Ajn, which means to mix. In this preparation powder of drugs is mixed well in Qiwam of sugar or Asl (Honey). The preparation of Majun involves mixing of powder of drugs in a particular consistency of solution of sugar or honey. They are named according to the chief ingredient, inventor or action.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Main Indication: Sexual debility, kidney dysfunction, excessive micturition, gout, backache, indigestion and loss of appetite
- MRP/Price: Hamdard Majun Falasfa @ MRP INR 68
- Description: Dark brown colored semisolid preparation with a sweet taste and aromatic odour.
Unani System of medicine evolved in Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani Tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is a traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicines are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicines are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Majun Falasfa Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
- Maweez Munaqqa Vitis vinifera Linn. Fruit 450 g
- Zanjabeel Zingiber officinale Rosc. Rhizome 150 g
- Filfil Siyah Piper nigrum Linn. Fruit 150 g
- Filfil Daraz Piper longum Linn. Fruit 150 g
- Darchini Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume, Bark 150 g
- Aamla Emblica officinalis Gaertn. Fruit 150 g
- Post-e-Balela Terminalia belerica Roxb. Fruit Rind 150 g
- Sheetraj Hindi Plumbago zeylanica Linn. Root 150 g
- Zarawand Madahraj Aristolochea rotunda Linn. Root 150 g
- Salab Misri Orchis latifobia Linn. Root 150 g
- Maghz-e-Chilghoza Pinus gerardiana Wall. Kernel 150 g
- Bekh-e-Babuna Matricaria chamomilla Linn. Root 150 g
- Maghz-e-Narjeel Cocos nucifera Linn. Kernel 150 g
- Tukhm-e-Babuna Matricaria chamomilla Linn. Seed 75 g
- Asal or Qand Safaid Honey or sugar Crystals 7.0 Kg
Method of preparation:
Take all the ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
Clean all the ingredients from 1 to 14 and make a fine powder using pulverizer and pass through the sieve of 80 mesh size. Dissolve sugar in 700 ml purified water in a steel vessel and heat till the consistency of three tar is achieved. Add all the ingredients to the hot syrup one by one and stir till complete homogenization. Allow the mass to cool to room temperature and fill it in moisture free airtight containers.
- Hazim (Digestive)
- Muallid Mani (Semen Procreator)
- Muqavvi Aasab (Nervine tonic)
- Muqavvi Baah (Aphrodisiac)
- Muqavvi Dimagh (Brain tonic)
- Muqavvi Meda (Gastric tonic)
- Muqawwi-e-Meda (Stomachic)
- Mushahhi (Appetizer)
Majun Falasfa of Biomedical Action
- Antioxidant: Inhibits oxidation.
- Anxiolytic: reduce anxiety.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulates sexual desire.
- Nervine: tonic for nerves, calm the nerves.
- Neuroprotective: Protects neuronal structure and/or function.
Majun Falasfa Health Benefits
- It gives strength to kidneys, bladder, and nerves.
- It enhances mental power.
- It is beneficial in Salasul Bol (Incontinence of Urine).
- It strengthens the nerves.
- It increases the density of semen and sex vigour.
- It strengthens kidney and bladder and stops excessive urination.
- It is also useful in gout and backache and aids in digestion and increases appetite.
- It is herbal health tonic.
Majun Falasfa Therapeutic Uses
- Anorexia (Loss of Appetite)
- Bed Wetting
- Nisyan (Amnesia)
- Salasul Bol (Incontinence of Urine)
- Salas-ul-Baul (Polyuria)
- Sue Hazm (Dyspepsia)
- Usr-ul- Baul (Dysuria)
- Wajaul kulliya (Kidney Pain)
- Wajaul Mafasil (Arthralgia)
- Waj-ul-Mafasil (Joint pain)
- The weakness of the Kidney & Urinary Bladder
- Zof-e-Bah (Sexual debility)
- Zof-e-Hazm (Weak digestion)
- Zof-e-Ishteha (Loss of appetite)
Majun Falasfa Dosage
- Majun Falasfa should be taken orally in a dose of 5-10 grams.
- It can be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with water or milk.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
It contains sugar and hence should be avoided by a diabetic person.
Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of the same disease.
Majun Falasfa of Side-effects
There are no known side-effects for this medicine.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- Do not use any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- Store in a cool and dry place in a tightly closed container, protected from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Keep bottle cap closed after every use.