Sukumara Lehyam or Sukumaram Leham is polyherbal Ayurvedic formulation. This medicine is useful in treating a variety of diseases related to Vata and Pitta. It is nutritive, improves strength and increases weight. It is given in case of gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), constipation, hemorrhoids, ulcer, hernia, abscesses, female problems, Vata disorders and as a tonic. It improves the chances of pregnancy.
Here is given more about Sukumara Ghrita such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Synonyms: Sukumara Leham, Sukumaram Lehyam, Sukumaram Rasayana, Sukumara Ghritham, Sukumara Lehyam, Sukumara Kalyana Lehyam
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Digestive problems, constipation, Vata Roga, gynecological problems
- Dosha Effect: Balances Vata and Pitta
Sukumara Lehyam Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
- Punarnava (Rakta Punarnava) (Pl.) 4.800 kg
- Bilva (Rt./St. Bk.) 480 g
- Shyonaka (Rt./St. Bk.) 480 g
- Gambhari (Rt./St. Bk.) 480 g
- Patala (Rt./St. Bk.) 480 g
- Agnimantha (Rt./St. Bk.) 480 g
- Shalaparni (Pl.) 480 g
- Prishniparni (Pl.) 480 g
- Brihati (Pl.) 480 g
- Kantakari (Pl.) 480 g
- Gokshura (Pl.) 480 g
- Payasya (Kshirakakoli) (Sub. Rt.) 480 g
- Ashvagandha (Rt.) 480 g
- Eranda (Rt.) 480 g
- Shatavari (Rt. Tr.) 480 g
- Darbha – mula (Rt.) 480 g
- Kusha – mula (Rt.) 480 g
- Shara – mula (Rt.) 480 g
- Kasha – mula (Rt.) 480 g
- Ikshu – mula (Rt.) 480 g
- Potagala – mula (Rt.) 480 g
- Water for decoction 49.152 l reduced to 6.144 l
- Guda 1.440 kg
- Eranda taila (Ol.) 768 g
- Ghrita (Goghrta) 1.536 kg
- Payas (Godugdha) 1.536 l
- Krishna (Pippali) (Fr.) 96 g
- Krishna mula (Pippali) (Rt.) 96 g
- Saindhava lavana 96 g
- Yashti (Rt.) 96 g
- Madhuka (Fl.) 96 g
- Mridvika (Draksha) (Dr. Fr.) 96 g
- Yavani (Fr.) 96 g
- Nagara (shunthi) (Rz.) 96 g
Know the Ingredient of Sukumara Lehyam
Punarnava is one of the best herb used for diseases of the liver and kidney. Punarnava is diuretic and decreases urinary albumin, urinary protein excretion, and specific gravity. It helps to reduce swelling by losing extra fluid from the body. It also helps in enlargement of the liver, cirrhosis of the liver, jaundice, dropsy, oedema and similar inflammatory conditions.
As Punarnava is anti-fibrinolytic and anti-inflammatory it is used in menstrual disorder like menorrhagia, dysmenorrhea and to stop intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) induced bleeding. The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of Punarnava is comparable to that of ibuprofen.
- Punarnava is astringent, bitter, sweet in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya).
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
Punarnava alleviates Kapha and Vayu, reduce Ama and cure durnaman (piles), vradhna (inguinal lymphadenitis), sopha (oedema) and udara (obstinate abdominal diseases including ascites.) It is a laxative and hot in potency. It is Rasayana (rejuvenating).
Dashmula is a combination of ten roots (Bilva, Agnimantha, Gambhari, Shyonak, Patala and Shalparni, Prishniparni, Brihati, Kantkari, Gokhru). It is extensively used in Ayurveda for the treatment of a variety of diseases including inflammation.
It has significant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
Dashmoola has a balancing action on Kapha, Pitta and Vata doshas, and useful especially for Vata-Vikar. Its intake reduces inflammation and pain.
It is such an intelligent blend of medicinal herbs that balances Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Study show, it exhibits aspirin-like antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effects.
Ashwagandha Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal (Solanaceae)
Ashwagandha is also known as Withania, Winter Cherry, Indian Winter Cherry, and Indian Ginseng. For the medicinal purpose, the roots of the plant are used. It is especially useful for males as it promotes libido and increases the production of bone marrow and semen. It is well-known for its aphrodisiac property.
Ashwagandha is one of the best Ayurvedic herbs with alterative, aphrodisiac, deobstruent, diuretic, narcotic, sedative, restorative rejuvenative, antiaging, immunostimulatory and adaptogenic properties. It stimulates the immune system, reduces inflammation, promotes memory, and helps maintain general health and wellness.
Ashwagandha is generally indicated for increasing energy, endurance, and acts as an-adaptogen that exerts a strong immunostimulatory and anti-stress agent. In Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is indicated for cold and coughs, ulcers, emaciation, diabetes, conjunctivitis, epilepsy, insomnia, senile dementia, leprosy, Parkinson’s disease, nervous disorders, rheumatism, arthritis, intestinal infections, bronchitis, asthma, impotence and a suppressant in HIV/AIDS patients. Ashwagandha promotes a stronger immune system, physical strength, lustrous complexion, clarity of mind and sense of well-being.
Ashwagandha nourishes Majja (Bone marrow and nerve tissues) and Shukra Dhatu (Reproductive tissue). For males, Ashwagandha promotes sexual health by uplifting the mood, reducing anxiety, improving energy levels and fertility, thus supporting sexual performance.
It has a direct spermatogenic effect and helps to improve sperm count. It exerts testosterone-like effect influencing the seminiferous tubules.
Asparagus racemosus (Wild Asparagus) is known as Shatavar or Shatavari. The fascicled tuberous roots of the plant are of medicinal importance.
The roots are dried after harvesting and may be boiled, peeled and cut into pieces. The dried roots are then ground to make a powder (Shatavri Churna) which is used alone or with other ingredients. Shatavar contains saponins, steroidal glycosides, and aglycones, flavonoids including quercetin, rutin and hyperoside, alkaloids and mucilage.
Shatavar is a renowned tonic for the female reproductive system. It is a uterine tonic and regulates the periods. Shatavari is very useful in menopausal symptoms with hot flushes, irritability, irregular memory and dryness.
- According to Ayurveda, Shatavari is heavy, cold, bitter, nutritive; it relieves vata and Pitta and is a Rasayana.
- Taste/Rasa: sweet/Madhur, bitter/tikta
- Potency/Veerya: cold/sheeta
- Quality/Guna: heavy/guru, unctous/Snigdha
- Post digestive/Vipak: sweet/Madhur
- Dosha: Reduces Vata and Pitta and increases Kapha
- Tissue/Dhatu: all tissues
Shatavar is galactagogic, antispasmodic, nervine, anti-inflammatory, demulcent, cooling, diuretic, general Tonic, expectorant, antibacterial, antitumor, and antacid. It is a nourishing, soothing, lubricating and is useful in conditions when the diseases are due to excess heat inside the body.
Shatavari’s main action is on the female reproductive tract. It has a phyto-estrogenic effect and supports lactation. It nourishes Rasa dhatu and improves milk flow and quantity.
Shatavar use is contraindicated in acute lung congestion, high Kapha, low digestive fire and high Ama.
While taking Shatavar one should avoid, any activity which generates body heat, eating non-vegetarian or heavy food, hot potency food items, tobacco, sleeping during the day, excessive work, sexual intercourse, and exercise.
Sukumara Lehyam Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Anulomna: Anulomna means one which promotes excretions and favor discharge. Takes vata / wind downward, mild laxative
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha
- Mutral: Diuretics, increase the flow of urine
- Mutrakrcichraghna: Alleviates Dysuria
- Pittahar: Reduces Pitta
- Shothagna: Reduces swelling and inflammation, relieve edema
- Shleshmahar: Reduces phlegm.
- Rasayana: Improve the quality of the tissues.
- Vishhar: Antidote to toxins.
Biomedical Action of Sukumaram Rasayana
- Antioxidant: It possesses preventive and productive role to maintain the cell survival, cellular interaction, and maintenance of cell membrane architecture.
- Anti-inflammatory: Used to reduce inflammation.
- Antifibrinolytic: Treat excessive bleeding as in menorrhagia or to help in the control of bleeding during surgery. Due to antifibrinolytic and anti-inflammatory properties, it is recommended for the treatment of menorrhagia.
- Anti-nociceptive: Reduces sensitivity to painful stimuli.
- Anti-stress: Prevent or reduce stress.
- Diuretic: It increases the secretion and discharge of urine as it is effective on controlling excessive fluids filled in the body cavity.
- Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Sukumara Lehyam Health Benefits
- It balances Vata and Pitta.
- It cleanses the body by flushing out the toxins due to its diaphoretic, diuretic and laxative action.
- It gives relief in pain and inflammation in the body.
- It gives strength to the uterus.
- It has significant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
- It helps in gynecological diseases such as vaginal complaints, menstrual disorders, ovarian cyst, pain during periods, infertility, etc.
- It helps in the problem of infertility.
- It improves complexion.
- It improves digestion.
- It improves overall health and potency.
- It is good medicine in intestinal ulcers.
- It is useful in detoxifying the liver.
- It reduces excess heat inside the body.
- It reduces pain and flatulence associated with peptic ulcers, gastric hyperacidity, heartburn, hernia, and amoebiasis.
- It significantly reduces the size of the ovarian cyst.
- It supports better digestion and gives relief in constipation.
Sukumara Lehyam Therapeutic Uses
Sukumara Ghrita is indicated in the following conditions:
- Arsha (hemorrhoids)
- Diseases of abdomen
- Enlargement of abdomen
- Gulma (abdominal lump)
- Ovarian cysts
- Pleeha roga (splenic disease)
- Polycystic ovarian disease
- Premenstrual syndrome (pms)
- Shotha (oedema)
- Uterine fibroids
- Vatarakta (gout)
- Vataroga (disease due to Vata Dosha)
- Vidradhi (abscess)
- Vriddhi (inguinoscrotal swellings)
- Yonishula (pain in female genital tract)
Sukumara Lehyam Dosage
The recommended dosage of medicine is one to two teaspoonsful mixed with a cup of milk and given as first thing in the morning.
- It can be taken twice a day.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
Toxicological studies conducted on Punarnava demonstrated the absence of teratogenic and mutagenic effects. The ethanol extract was administered twice daily in pregnant female albino rats during the entire period of gestation. It did not cause any teratogenic effect or foetal abnormality.
It can be safely during breastfeeding.
Contraindications of Sukumaram Rasayana
- There is no known contraindication for this medicine.
- As clarified butter is the base ingredient of this formulation, it should not be taken by people with high cholesterol, obesity, diabetes, etc.
- It should not be taken in loose motions.
- It is not suitable for diabetes.
Drug Interactions of Sukumaram Rasayana
Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
Sukumaram Rasayana Side-effects
There are no known side-effects for this medicine.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- Do not use any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- Store in a cool and dry place in a tightly closed container, protected from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Keep bottle cap closed after every use.
Pharmacies Making Sukumara Lehyam
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala Sukumara Leham
- Arya Vaidya Pharmacy Sukumara Lahayam
- Arya Vaidya Sala Sukumara Ghritam
- Nagarjuna Sukumaara Lahyam
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.