Karpooradi Thailam (Karpuradi Tailam) is Ayurvedic medicated oil. It is a pain relieving oil and used externally on painful joints, swelling and inflammation. The main ingredient of Karpuradi Taila/oil is Cinnamomum camphora (Camphor). The base oil taken can be sesame oil or coconut oil.
Sesame Oil is one of the most popular massage oil. It is heavy, unctuous, bitter, astringent and hot in potency. It contains 8 essential amino acids good for brain and used for head massage since ancient times. It is best oil for Vata. It gives relief in aches, pains and stiffness. It nourishes the nervous system and cures nervous disorders. It strengthens the muscles and cures the dryness. Massaging with this oil detoxifies body.
Coconut oil is more suitable for people living in hot climate. Coconut oil is relatively light and gets absorbed in skin readily. It is good for skin conditions such as skin rashes, swelling, and fungal infections. Massaging with coconut oil reduces body heat.
Karpooradi Thailam is a versatile medicated oil with camphor as the major ingredient, used to relieve pain and inflammation on external application. It relieves the stiffness caused by spasm, cramp, chronic ailments etc and imparts painless movements of joints. It acts as refreshing oil for massage which also helps in soothing down the painful muscles and joints. With its pleasing fragrance it revives the mind and body.
As a medium of support, it is usually mixed in adequate quantities with appropriate oils for external application in several Rheumatic conditions of joints. Since the Karpooradi Tailam instantly helps in alleviating pain and swelling, it is usually advised in acute ailments and blunt injuries. Here is given more about Karpooradi Thailam such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and how to use.
- Synonyms: Karpooradi Thailam, Karpooradi Oil, Karpuradi Tailam
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical herbal Ayurvedic Medicine, Massage oil
- Main Indication: Pain, Stiffness, Joint Pain
- Suitable for: Only topical use
Composition / Ingredients of Karpooradi Taila
- Trachyspermum ammi Ajamoda 600 gm
- Cinnamomum camphora Karpooram 120gm
- Sesame Oil or Coconut Oil 1 litre
- Each 10 ml contains
- Tailam 10 ml
- Karpuram 2.500 g
Karpura is also known as Ghanasara, Chandra, Himahva, Himabaluka (Sanskrit) and Natural Camphor (English). It is obtained from the leaves, chipped wood and roots of Cinnamomum camphora (L.) Nees & Eberm. (Fam. Lauraceae) and whole plant of Ocimum kilimandscharicum Guerke (Fam. Lamiaceae) by hydro distillation process.
Karpura is colourless or white crystals, granules or crystalline masses. It has aromatic, bitter, thermogenic, diaphoretic, stimulant, antiseptic, pain relieving, and anti-inflammatory activities.
Camphor uses include muscular rheumatism, muscle pain, cardiac insufficiency and asthma. Camphor is locally rubefacient and anti-inflammatory and also produces a menthol-like cooling which makes it slightly anesthetic.
Camphor should be protected from light.
Side Effects of Camphor
- Camphor should not be used on babies and toddlers. Liver toxicity occurred in 2-month-old baby after topical application.
- Long term application on baby may result in symptoms similar to Reye’s syndrome.
- Few sensitive people may develop contact dermatitis after camphor application.
- Contact eczema occasionally appears following the application of oily salves containing camphor.
- Camphor ingestion in small children can be fatal. Symptoms of poisonings that have been seen, particularly in children, include intoxicated states, delirium, spasms and respiratory control disturbances. Treatment proceeds symptomatically. Less than 1 g can be a lethal dosage for young children. So, keep camphor away from children.
- Local administration can lead to skin irritation, as well as to resorbent and/or airborne poisonings.
- Do not use on children’s faces. Do not apply near children’s nostrils.
- It must not be applied on in broken, damaged skin or burned skin.
- Camphor is used only topically. Never ingest.
Biomedical Action of Karpooradi Thailam
- Analgesic: acting to relieve pain.
- Anesthetic: substance that induces insensitivity to pain.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Fungicide: destroys fungus.
Benefits of Karpooradi Thailam
- It is medicated herbal massage oil containing camphor.
- It reduces pain and stiffness.
- It gives relief in pain in muscles on massaging.
- It gives relief in pain due to analgesic action.
- It reduces swelling.
Uses of Karpooradi Thailam
Karpooradi Thailam is used in pain and stiffness problems such as muscular pain, rheumatoid complaints, joint pain, joint stiffness, neck pain, back pain, cramps and numbness. It is also applied on chest to relieve chest congestion by improving blood circulation. Due to its pain relieving action, it can be applied on forehead in case of migraine attack. The oil is taken in amount of few drops and massaged on the forehead.
- Blunt injuries
- Chest congestion
- Gout, rheumatism
- Joint pain, back pain
- Joint stiffness
- Leg pain
- Massage oil
- Muscle spasm
- Muscle stiffness, cramps
- Rheumatic Pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- and other chronic as well as acute disorders
How to use Karpooradi Thailam / Directions for Use
- This is for external use ONLY.
- Warm Oil slightly and rub on desired part of body, avoiding above the neck.
- Do not put on open wounds. Apply 1 hour before bathing for best results.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- This oil is for external use only.
- It must not be taken internally.
- Do patch test before use. If no irritation, rash, sensitivity occur on the tested area then you may use the oil on other affected parts.
- It should be stored in well closed containers away from heat, preferably 20-25 degree Celsius.
- Discontinue if hypersensitivity occurs.
- This oil gives relief in symptoms only. It may not work alone but may require other medicine for a condition.
- Coconut based oil solidifies in low temperature.
- Keep out of reach of children. Camphor in large doses is toxic. Toxicity symptoms are headache, nausea, excitement, confusion and delirium; ultimately there is loss of consciousness.
- The ingestion of solid camphor by children is a common cause of camphor poisoning.
Pharmacies Making Karpooradi Thailam
- You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
- Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Kerala Ayurveda Karpooradi Thailam PRICE 200 ml @ ₹140.00
- Kottakkal Karpuradi Tailam RICE 200 ml @ 111.00
- Pankajakasthuri Herbals India XYZ
- Kairali Products Karpooradi Thailam Base oil Sesamum Oil PRICE 200 ml @ Rs.125.00
- AVP XYZ
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.