Vinca Minor is known as lesser Periwinkle. It is a species of flowering plant native to central and southern Europe, from Portugal and France north to the Netherlands and the Baltic States, east to the Caucasus. It also grows in southwestern Asia in Turkey. It is found in woods and shady places.
Table of Contents
It is a trailing shrub that spread along the ground. Its stems form large colonies. It is up to 40 centimeters high. The leaves are evergreen, broad, glossy dark green with a leathery texture. The flowers are solitary and produced mainly from early spring to midsummer. Some flowers still produced in the autumn. The flowers are violet-purple in color. The closely related species Vinca major is similar but larger in all parts, and also has relatively broader leaves with a hairy margin.
It was traditionally known as the “flower of death” by Italians as it was placed on the coffins of dead children.
Vinca minor contains more than 50 alkaloids, including vincamine. Other alkaloids include reserpine, reserpinine, akuammicine, majdine, vinerine, ervine, vineridine, tombozine, vincamajine, vincanine, vincanidine, vincamone, apovincamine, vincaminol, desoxyvincaminol, vincorine and perivincine
Classification of Vinca minor
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Order: Gentianales
- Family: Apocynaceae
- Genus: Vinca
- Species: V. minor
- Vinca minor
- Lesser periwinkle
- Dwarf periwinkle
- Common periwinkle
- Creeping myrtle
Preparation of Vinca Minor Remedy
The tincture of the remedy is prepared by the whole fresh plant. The whole, fresh plant, including the root, is finely chopped and macerated in alcohol.
Vinca Minor Homeopathic Remedy Indication
Vinca Minor is indicated in the following condition:
Acne is a skin condition characterized by red pimples on the skin, especially on the face, due to inflamed or infected sebaceous glands and prevalent chiefly among adolescents.
Symptoms of acne
- Pustules which has pus at their tips
- Large, solid, painful lumps beneath the surface of the skin.
- Painful, pus-filled lumps beneath the surface of the skin.
Alopecia or baldness
- Alopecia is the partial or complete absence of hair from areas of the body where it normally grows.
- Alopecia totalis, which is the total loss of all hair on the scalp.
- Alopecia Universalis, which is the loss of all hair on the entire body.
- It is a rare condition that is first described in Poland in 1884 by Dr. LePage in which hair shafts become intertwined and matted.
- Lack of regular combing.
- Exposure to chemicals in the process like bleaching, coloring, permanent waving, hair fixing gels, use of detergents
- Use of hydrogen peroxide, ammonium thioglycollate, sodium hydroxide, bleaching powders. This damages the protein-rich Cuticle so that hair-shafts adhere together and stick together.
- The use of steamers, hair driers, and other thermal styling appliances damaged the cuticle.
- Infection of pediculus capitis infestation.
Crusta lactea or Cradle cap
- Crusta lactea is seborrhea of the scalp in an infant.
- A symptom of cradle cap:
- It is a yellowish, patchy, greasy, scaly, and crusty skin rash that occurs on the scalp. This is seen in recently born babies. It is an inflammatory condition.
- It is not itchy.
- It begins sometime in the first 3 months, but it can occur in later years.
- If seen in older children, it is caused by dandruff.
- The rash is seen around-ear, eyebrows, eyelids.
- If this type of rash occurs at any place, it is known as seborrhoeic dermatitis.
- Prover- Rosenburg
It is suited to a person who is sad, weepy, weak, and faint. These people have a feeling that they are going to die. These people have a feeling that they are going to die.
Cause of symptoms:
- The red nose is angered by anger.
- Exertion especially mental causes many complaints.
It is a skin disorder, which involves the scalp, face, and chest.
- Poor immune function
- Parkinson disease
- Down syndrome
- Stress Poor hygiene.
Symptoms of seborrhoea:
Seen in the scalp, behind the ears, on the face, and in areas where is skin folds, the skin near the eyelashes, on the forehead, sides of the nose, on the chest, and on the upper back.
In severe cases, yellowish to reddish scaly pimples are seen along the hairline, behind the ears, in the ear canal, on the eyebrows, on the bridge of the nose, around the nose, on the chest, and on the upper back.
- The patient has hair loss.
- Yellow, white or greyish flakes are seen
- Sore throat
- Bleeding from uterus
- Skin diseases: mainly eczema
The Symptoms Present in Suited Patient of Vinca minor Remedy
- It is given in headache where the patient has tearing pain in the back of the head with whistling in ears.
- It cures whirling vertigo when a patient has flickering before eyes.
- It also cures a condition where a patient has pustules that discharge moisture. This causes matted hair.
- It cures extreme itching of the scalp.
- It cures bald spots on the head with an irresistible desire to scratch.
- It is a very good remedy for the nose where the tip of the nose gets red easily. It cures eruptions on the septum which oozes moisture.
- It is a very good remedy for the stoppage of one nostril.
- It treats seborrhoea’s upper lip and base of the nose.
- It cures difficulty in swallowing with frequent hawking.
- It is a very good remedy for females with excessive menstruation with great weakness.
- It is a very good remedy for excessive menses with continuous flow. It should be given during menopause when there are excessive menses.
- It is a very good remedy for fibroids.
- It is a very good remedy when a patient has great sensitiveness of skin, with redness and soreness. The patient has extreme redness of the skin from slight rubbing.
- It is a very good remedy for eczema of the head and face. It treats pus-filled eruptions with itching and burning, with an offensive odor.
- It is given to people who feel very weak. He feels so weak as if he would die. A person has a tendency to stretch.
- It is given to people who feel extreme weakness after passing stool.
- Weakness is a key symptom which is present with most of the complaint.
- In uterine hemorrhages, it is given when a patient has blood that is dark red in color. It is copious in amount and almost uninterrupted. It causes extreme weakness. In this case, Vinca minor should be taken in 1x.
- It cures the cutting sensation in the lower part of the abdomen when the patient is swallowing food.
- It cures empty faintness in the stomach which is worse by eating.
- It is given in hemorrhoids which is sore to the touch and causes burning after stool.
- It is given to the patient where he has most complaints on the left side.
- It cures sleeplessness and restlessness at night.
- It can also be given in fever when a patient suddenly feels cold with shivering. In the heating phase, the patient feels a firm, hard pulse. The patient has the heat of cheeks with redness.
- It is very good for weeping eczema (with continuous discharge). Discharge has a foul and thick crust.
Symptoms are worse
- From anger
- From walking
- From stooping
- From swallowing
- Symptoms are better:
- When moving in the open air.
Dosage of Vinca minor Remedy
- 4 pellets or 5 drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours.
- Take medicine in every 15 minutes for intense symptoms.
- Take medicine in 4 hours if symptoms for milder ones.
- Once an improvement is noticed, don’t take medicine. Repeat the remedy only if symptoms return.
- If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.
Side effects: No side effects of Vinca minor
Contraindications: No contraindication is seen in Vinca minor.
Interactions: No interactions between Vinca minor and other products are known.