Magnesium phosphoricum, phosphate of magnesia or Mag. phos. is Homeopathic medicine mainly indicated in painful conditions. It is given in case of cramping pain, shooting pains in the lower abdomen during menstruation, pains on the right side of the back of the neck, spreading over the head and settling around the right eye, dull – throbbing pain, or sharp twinges of pain, common in teething infants, pain in ears and other painful conditions.
The remedy is prepared by mixing Magnesium sulfate and sodium phosphate in water. This is left to crystallize. The resulting crystals are then triturated with lactose sugar
MAG. PHOS. Information
It is a compound that does not exist in nature. It is prepared chemically from sodium phosphate and epsomite (magnesium sulfate).
- Homeopathic: Phosphate of Magnesia, Hydric magnesia phosphate. (MgHPO47H2O)
- English: Magnesium phosphate
- French: Phosphtedemagnesie
- German: Magnesium phosphate
- Other Common names: Magnesium phosphate, Phosphate of magnesia
Source: Mineral kingdom.
Molecular weight: 174.34.
Parts used in the preparation of remedy: Magnesium phosphate. It is prepared by dissolving two parts of magnesia sulfate in thirty: two parts of water and mixing with a solution of three parts of sodium phosphate in thirty-two parts of water and setting aside to crystallize. Salt separates in the course of 24 hours in tufts of prism or needles.
- Distribution: It is found in Canada, India, and the U.S.
- Description: It is a white crystalline powder. It is slightly soluble in water and insoluble in alcohol. It is freely soluble in dilute acid.
- Magnesium sulfate forms in caves and on the rock face as epsomite.
- It is used as “tissue salt” by Dr. Schussler.
Preparation of remedy:
Magnesium sulfate and sodium phosphate are mixed in water and left to crystallize. The crystals are then triturated with lactose sugar. Phosphate of Magnesia is contained in-blood-corpuscles, muscles, brain, spinal marrow, nerves, teeth. Disturbance of its molecules results in-pains, cramps, paralysis.
Role of Magnesium phosphoricum in body
Magnesium phosphoricum plays important role in the transmission of signals in the nervous system. It helps in muscular excitability. It is useful in protein synthesis and the production of energy.
- The concentration of Magnesium is 1.5:2.2 mg in the body.
- Absorption of Magnesium occurs in the upper part of the small intestine by an active process closely related to the transport system of Calcium.
- It is excreted principally by kidneys.
- Low level of Magnesium results in an increased proportion of Calcium in the body.
- Magnesium is a co-factor in all enzymes involved in phosphate transfer reaction
It is known as “homeopathic aspirin” as it is used in all kinds of pain.
Prover: Drs. W.P. Wessehoeft and J.A. Gann.
It was published in Dr. H. C. Allen’s Medical Advances in the year 1889.
Magnesium phosphoricum Suitability
This medicine is best suited for people who are restless in nature. They are very sensitive in nature. They are mostly artistic in nature and highly intelligent individuals. They are very forgetful and not able to concentrate.
They are very irritable, nervous, and easily get tired. They have fear of dark and thunderstorms. They are unable to face others. They have a craving for sugar. They do not like coffee.
It is given to a person who is thin and emaciated having a dark complexion. He has complaints from standing in cold water. It is suited to young and very strong persons and teething children. It is given when a patient is tired, exhausted, and unable to sit up.
It is given to a person who has various kinds of illusions. He always laments when he has pain in his body. A patient has mental depression and anxiety. The patient feels very drowsy and so he cannot study. He is very forgetful and cannot think clearly. He cannot do any mental activity.
It is very useful to increase the concentration of children in studies. It is seen that when students are given few doses of Mag phos, their mind seems clearer and they think clearly. It improved them academically.
Causes of symptoms
- Washing of face in cold water
- From standing in cold water
- After mental labor
- From piano or violin playing
- From excessive writing
- When feeding on cow’s milk
- Taking excess Calcium tablets during pregnancy
Clinical Conditions in Which Magnesium phosphoricum is useful
- Complaints of the right side of the body
- Gall stone colic with flatulence
- Intercostal neuralgia
- Locomotor ataxia
- Membranous Dysmenorrhoea
- Pain mainly cramps
- Prolapse of rectum
- School headache
- Whooping cough
- Writer’s cramp
Indications of Magnesium phosphoricum
Magnesium phosphoricum can be given in cramps in the abdomen when it is sharp pain. The patient has a medical history of irritable bowel syndrome. Pain is seen on the right side of the body. The pain appears suddenly and disappears suddenly. Pain is very intense in nature which causes restlessness inpatient. The patient often cries with pain. Along with pain patient also complains of bloating of the abdomen with great flatulence. This is not eased by belching. The patient doubles over with pain.
- The patient feels better by heat and applying pressure on the abdomen.
- The patient feels worse from the cold.
It is given when a patient has sharp pain that radiates to other areas of the body. The pain appears and disappears suddenly. The patient cries with pain. Muscles are stiff with no sensation after doing exertion.
- The patient feels worse by cold air and at night.
- Patients feel better by heat, from a hot bath and applying firm pressure on the affected area.
It is a very good remedy for menstrual cramps( dysmenorrhoea) when a patient has sudden cramps. Pain often goes to the lower part of the abdomen. The patient feel worse on the right side and before menses.
Patients feel better by heat, by drinking hot drinks, and by doubling over.
It is a very good remedy for headaches when pain is spasmodic in nature. Pain is seen on the right side of the back of the neck. Suddenly pain spreads over the head and settles over the right side. It is given when a patient has a red face with throbbing. This can be given to teenage girls.
- The patient feels worse from the cold.
- The patient feels better by heat and pressure on the head.
Headaches and other symptoms of head
It is given when a patient has severe pain which is darting and stabbing in nature. This pain appears suddenly and disappears suddenly. A patient has a nervous headache with sparks before eyes. The patient also sees double. A patient has severe pain at night. He feels as if his brain is too heavy. He cannot do any mental work during headache.
The headache begins in the back of the head and pain is constant in school. Pain in the head is seen along with redness of the face. Pain suddenly spreads to the whole head. Sometimes the pain is associated with nausea.
- It can be given in large pimples with redness and rawness on the right side of the scalp.
- It is given when the patient feels sleepless because of indigestion.
- It is given when a patient feels vertigo on moving and a tendency to falls forward on closing eyes. This is better walking in the open air.
- It is given in pain in the eyes with increased secretion from the eyes.
- It is given when a patient has pain in the right ear which is worse in cold air.
- It is given when the patient feels drowsy and falls asleep. He awakes as from an electric shock then falls asleep again. It cures spasmodic yawning.
- It can be given in strabismus with spasms and jerking of eyes. This is associated with pain.
- It can be given for convulsions with the stiffness of the limbs. This medicine can convulsions in adults or children. Convulsions are seen during dentition.
- It is given when a patient has lightning-like pain in the face which is worse by touch and pressure. Pain begins in the right upper jaw and teeth. Pain is worse at 2 p.m. and lasts till it gets the warmth from the bed. Pain is worse by cold and better by heat. The patient has swelling in the face as if stung by bees.
- It is a very good remedy for photophobia where a patient has difficulty in seeing a bright light. It can be given in conditions like nystagmus, strabismus, spasmodic ptosis. It cures the twitching of lids.
It can be given for pain in teeth when pain is dull, throbbing in nature. It is so severe that the patient becomes restless. It can be given to teething infants.
The patient is worse from cold drafts and from touch.
Patients feel better by heat and applying firm pressure on the gums or tooth. It is given when a patient has toothache which is worse after going to bed. It changes place rapidly. Pain is worse from eating or drinking esp cold things and better by heat. Pain is very localized in nature and can be a point with a finger. Pain is so severe that he could not brush his teeth with cold water for months. It can be given when a child has spasms during teething. A patient has severe pain in decayed or filled teeth.
Cramping Pain in Body
- It can be given for cramps that are stabbing in nature. Pain is seen in arms, fingers, wrists, and hands. It can be given to musicians and writers.
- It is very useful when a patient has pain in the ears that is spasmodic in nature seen especially by exposure to cold wind.
- The patient feels worse by a cold and turning head.
- Patients feel better by firm pressure on the ears.
- It can be given in swelling of the tongue.
- It is given when a patient has darting pain in the chest which is on the right side with the desire to take a deep breath. This is worse when first entering the warm room and better being in it a short time.
- It can be given in rheumatic pains in the forearm from elbow to hand. A patient has felt as if the skin of fingers is stretched too tightly.
- It is a very good remedy when a patient has pain in the hands and fingers in writing, playing instruments, and piano practice. Pain is sudden in nature with a stiffness of the fingers. It can be given to laborers and carpenters.
Heart and Nerve Conditions
- It can be given for angina pectoris with a sensation of constriction in the chest.
- It can be given for paralysis and involuntary shaking of hands.
- It can be given when a patient feels chilliness after dinner and in the evening. Chills run up and down the back with shivering followed by suffocating sensation.
- It is indicated for pain along nerves. It is known as neuralgia. The pains are very violent in nature. Pain localizes in the nerve and becomes worse and worse. Pain often goes into paroxysms. The patient becomes frantic. Pain is better by heat and pressure. The patient feels better in a warm place.
- It can be given to a person when diarrhea stopped suddenly and mental symptoms started.
- It is a very good remedy for spasmodic hiccoughing.
- It is given when a patient has alternate stuffing and profuse gushing of discharge with raw feeling in the nose.
- It is a very good remedy for facial neuralgias where the pain is worse on the right side. It can be given for Tic douloureaux.
Pain in Oral Cavity
- It is given when a patient has canker-sore with a feeling of burning with a bad taste in the mouth on waking. Warm food seems hot and burning.
- It is given when a patient has difficulty in swallowing liquids with the sensation of choking. The throat is very red and sore.
- It can be given when a patient has a hiccough 30 times a minute. A patient has hiccough with retching day and night for 3 days.
It cures when a patient has burning and tasteless eructations which come on about 3 hours after eating in the evening. This is worse by physical exertion and he feels better by drinking hot water.
It is a very good remedy for cancer of the stomach with intolerable burning pain, vomiting, and hiccough. Pain is also felt in the lower margins of the ribs. Pain brings restlessness and he walks about hurriedly to get relief. The patient feels relief for a short duration when lying on the stomach. Pain often radiates to the umbilicus. The patient has bloated and full sensation in the abdomen and he must loosen clothing.
It can be given when a patient has diarrhea immediately after breakfast. Stools are thick and dark brown in color. This is seen every day. It can be given in dysentery with cramp-like pains. It is a very good remedy for constipation in infants with spasmodic pains at every attempt at school.
It can be given for involuntary urination at night for nervous individuals. Patient has pain which is burning in nature during passing urine.
It is given when patient has menses for 6-9 days and come too soon. Patient has weakness with menses. Pains are cutting and drawing in nature.
Dosage of Magnesium phosphoricum
Mag. p. 6x, 4 pellets, 2 times a day for 10 days.
- Radical Medicine Magnesium phosphoricum 6X
- Schwabe Magnesium Phosphoricum Pentarkan Tablets for Irregular Periods
- Schuessler Salts Nr 7 Magnesium Phosphoricum
- Reckeweg Biochemic Magnesium Phosphoricum
- DHU Magnesium Phosphoricum