Table of Contents
- 1 What is the meaning of Potency?
- 2 How to take homeopathic medicine in form of pellets?
- 3 Method of taking medicine
- 4 The substance which should be avoided while taking homeopathic remedies
- 5 When to take the remedy?
- 6 Homeopathic medicine during pregnancy
Homeopathic medicines are very safe. They can be given to everyone depending on the condition. They come in form of pellets and drops in various potencies. These medicines work effectively if taken in the right manner. This page is intended to give you such few important pieces of information regarding homeopathic medicines.
What is the meaning of Potency?
The term “Potency” is often used along with medicine. The potency is basically the strength of homeopathic medicine. Potencies usually range from3x or 3c, progresses up to M, CM, and LM potencies.
It is often seen that various people avoid going to a homeopathic doctor and do self-prescription. This practice should not be encouraged. But in case, anybody does self-prescription then always use lower potencies like 12c.
How to take homeopathic medicine in form of pellets?
Try not to touch the pellets as given by your physician. This is so because it can antidote the action of medicine by something the patient has touched earlier. It also spoils the medicine as the medicine is exposed to the external environment. In the case of infants when medicines are crushed on paper, always ensure that paper should be plain. It should not contain any print. Any ink can spoil the effects of the remedy.
Method of taking medicine
First, pour the pellets into the cap. Then put these into your mouth and under your tongue and allow them to slowly dissolve there.
- For adults- Take 4 pellets.
- For children- Either take 3 pellets under the tongue.
- For very young children crush pellets in a clean paper and pour them into their mouth.
- For infants- Dissolve 3 pellets in 1/2 glass of water and give two teaspoons as prescribed.
How to take homeopathic medicine in form of liquid
- Drops should be placed under the tongue and held for 15-30 seconds before swallowing.
- Remedies should be taken 30 minutes (15 minutes minimum) before taking anything by mouth like food, drink, toothpaste, water.
- Remedies should be stored in a cool place away from direct sunlight, X- rays, microwave ovens, strong odors, or near electronic appliances.
The substance which should be avoided while taking homeopathic remedies
- Mint in any form- mint candy, toothpaste, mouthwash.
- Coffee in any form.
- Caffeine in any form, such as tea, chocolate.
- Nicotine in any form.
- Avoid sour foods.
- Any strong-smelling material or any volatile material such as paint thinner, eucalyptus, camphor, and menthol (which is generally found in muscle and joint rubs). Any kind of perfumes should be avoided.
- Avoid the use of Tiger Balm as it contains camphor. The use of Vicks should also be avoided as it contains camphor.
- Avoid the use of strong after-shave products, and soap, smelly chemicals. Avoid contact with moth-balls.
- Avoid taking chocolate and cigarettes during the course of medicine. Only natural water should be consumed while taking homeopathic medicines. Reverse Osmosis (R.O) water with a TDS of 40 and below is preferred.
- Avoid drugging of any kind like the use of steroids and opiates. These remedies can antidote the action or remedy.
- Avoid the use of the deep cleansing product which reaches deep into pores to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. As it is a strong acting product, it can interfere with the action or remedy.
- Avoid the use of coffee-flavored ice cream and spices.
- The use of alcohol should be avoided.
- Raw garlic should be avoided. In case it is not avoided you can use it after 1 hour from remedy use. Cooked garlic is acceptable.
- If anybody is highly sensitive to the use of homeopathic remedies, then use the remedy by applying it to the forearm, wrists, chest, or underarms.
- If anybody is sensitive to alcohol, such individuals should place the remedy in a small amount of warm water, take 15 minutes for the alcohol to evaporate, and then consume it.
- Never touch mouth or tongue with remedy dropper, as this will contaminate the remedy.
- Unless directed, homeopathic remedies should be taken on an “empty stomach”.
- Remedies should be a least three feet away from plugged-in appliances like radios, clocks, as these appliances have strong electromagnetic fields.
- Never place medicine along with magnets.
- Do not keep the homeopathic medicines in open. Always keep them in a cold place.
- Always close the lid after taking out the pills or liquid.
- Never put homeopathic medicines on the palm.
- Try not to mix homeopathy with other medications. Allopathic and Ayurvedic medications should not mix up with homeopathy. Your physician will decide the dosage of allopathic medicine.
- Always consult your homeopathic physician when taking ayurvedic medicine along with homeopathic medicine.
- Never put the homeopathic remedies in the refrigerator.
When to take the remedy?
- Always take the remedy at bedtime, as the body is at rest.
- During the day take the remedy with a gap of 1/2 hour before eating and at least one hour after eating.
- In case of injury, take the remedy immediately no matter when the food is taken.
- A person can drink liquids shortly before and after taking a remedy.
- Some medicines should be taken empty stomach (Meaning of an empty stomach: At least 20 minutes before and 2 hours after taking anything by mouth, which includes food, drink, tobacco, chewing gum, toothpaste).
- If a remedy is taken several times a day, always schedule some of the doses before bed, upon waking, and during the day.
- Nothing should be taken at least ten minutes before and after taking homeopathic medicine.
Homeopathic medicine during pregnancy
Remedies with lower potencies like 3x to 30x is usually recommended during pregnancy.
Tablets form is preferred for pregnant women.