Zhi Zi, Shan Zhi, Shan Zhi Zi refers to dried gardenia fruit pod. In Chinese medicine it is used for the treatment of acute heat toxins. It is bitter, cold, attacking, and draining. It is taken internally to clear heat, reduce fire and eliminate irritability. In some people it can cause diarrhea. Gardenia pod is more suitable for a strong patient for speedy eradication of the heat and toxins from body.
Table of Contents
Zhi Zi Indications
- Blood heat
- Blood stagnation due to trauma (topical)
- Damp-heat in the liver/gallbladder with jaundice
- Delirious speech
- Depression and oppression
- Excess heat in the heart, stomach and liver with high fever
- Eye problems
- Heart vexation
- Heat in the blood with epistaxis
- Hematuria (partially charred fruits are used)
- Less- reddish urination
- Painful urinary dysfunction
Zhi Zi Benefits
- It clear liver and gall bladder inflammation and increases their function.
- It clears heart and lung heat accumulation by stimulating urination.
- It clears internal heat with fruit pulp and clears external heat with its peel.
- It cools the blood and helps in bleeding disorders.
- It drains fire, heat and toxins from the system.
- It is bitter and cold.
- It is used for diseases caused due to excessive heat and toxins in the system.
- It is used for heat from excess or fire toxin with epistaxis, hemoptysis, hematuria, or abnormal vaginal bleeding.
- It reduces swelling and invigorates the blood.
- It resolves dampness (drains damp-heat).
- It stops bleeding when dry-fried until black.
- It stops nausea when roasted in ginger juice.
- The pods are ground into powder and mixed with egg whites, and applied externally to treat scalds and burns.
- Uncooked fructus gardeniae jasminoidis pods can be ground into powder, mixed with vinegar and applied topically on injury due to fall.
Zhi Zi – Fructus Gardeniae Standard daily dosage
For internal use the recommended dose is 3-12g. Its decoction is prepared in water, filtered and taken.
The dose for Tincture is 2-4 ml. Tincture is less cooling and more sedating.
In difficult urination, 2-7 fruits are pounded together with a little salt and one clove of garlic and applied to the navel or scrotum.
Topically, use a suitable amount.
Zhi Zi contraindications
It contraindicated in following conditions:
- Abdominal and epigastric pain that is not caused by Fire
- Blood Deficiency Heat
- Loss of appetite due to Spleen and Stomach Deficiency Cold
- Use caution when driving or operating heavy machinery
Fructus Gardeniae Side Effects
- It is safe when used appropriately.
- It contains geniposide which can cause diarrhea.
- It contains potassium and glycosides and possibly cause hyperkalemia when used with potassium-sparing diuretics.
- Acidic foods such as vitamin c, nicotinic Acid, glutamic acid, and other acids can reduce its therapeutic effect.
- It has sedative effect and may increase drug-induced sleep time when used concurrently with sedatives such as antihistamines, narcotic analgesics, barbiturates, benzodiazepenes and others.
- It may lower blood pressure
- It can increase the effect of anesthetics and reduce the effects of hypertension medications.