Che Qian Zi refers to the dried, ripe seed of Plantago asiatica L., Plantago depressa Willd. or Plantago major L., family Plantaginaceae. The seeds of the plant used for medicinal purpose. These are collected in summer and dried.
Table of Contents
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the seeds are considered sweet and lightly cold and influences Liver, Kidney, Lung, and Small Intestine. The seeds are given to reduce heat and promotes urination and unblocks painful urinary dribbling. Semen Plantaginis are also antirheumatic and tonic.
- Part used: Seeds
- Chinese Name: Che Qian Zi, Che Qian Ren
- Plantago asiatica L.
- Plantago depressa Wild.
- Plantago afra L.
Properties: Diuretic, Sweet and cold
Indication of Plantain Seeds
- The seeds promote urination and are cold in nature.
- The seeds clear phlegm from lungs and heat from liver.
- The seeds are given in case of wasting disease and to improve fertility in men by improving secretion of semen.
- The seeds have diuretic action and help in dribbling of urine, strangury (blockage or irritation at the base of the bladder, resulting in severe pain and a strong desire to urinate) edema, and urinary tract infections.
- The seeds are indicated in case of diarrhea.
- The seeds remove dampness and heat from liver.
Plantain Seeds Standard daily Dosage
- Plantain Seeds Standard daily Dosage is 4.5-9 grams.
- Seeds are cooked in boiling water to make tea or soup for consumption.
Plantain Seeds Contraindications
- It is contraindicated during pregnancy.
- It may interact with Antihyperlipidemics and Anticoagulants.
- It is contraindicated in seminal discharge due to kidney deficiency.
Plantain Seeds Side Effects & Warnings
- Plantain Seeds Contains glycosides.
- It is highly acidic.
- It could possibly cause crystalluria and hematuria.
- It reduces the therapeutic effect of reserpine, caffeine, opiates, scopolamine, and berbamin, sodium bicarbonate, aluminum hydroxide, many antibiotics (aminoglycosides and sulfas).
- Small dosage can raise blood pressure.
- Lager dosage can lower blood pressure and induce cardiac paralysis.