Table of Contents
Manganese is a common mineral which is found all around us. It is present in earth, water and in atmosphere. It is also an essential micronutrient which is required by body to make tissues, bones, sex hormones, for calcium absorption, metabolism, normal functioning of brain and nerves. It is enzyme activator and component of antioxidant enzymes. Antioxidants are required by our body to fight free radicals which damage body cells, causes premature aging and are reason for various diseases. Deficiency of manganese can cause various health problems such as improper metabolism, weak bones and even infertility.
If we have a diet which consists of whole grains, green leafy vegetables, nuts, fruits then we can get adequate amount of it. Its adequate and safe intake for a day is around 2.5 to 5 milligram per day.
Why we need manganese
- Helps to utilize nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C
- Help body synthesize cholesterol, carbohydrates, and protein
- Required for strong bones, nerves
- Prevents osteoporosis, arthritis
- Maintains normal blood sugar levels
- Reduces Premenstrual syndrome
- Component of a number of enzymes that are essential for normal functioning
Symptoms of manganese deficiency
If a person is having well balanced diet consisting of cereals, fruits, nuts then the chance of manganese deficiency are low. But if a person is not health consciousness and adhering to some particular type of diet or on dieting then he or she may suffer from low manganese level in body. Here are symptoms shown by body in case of manganese deficiency.
- Nausea and vomiting
- High blood sugar level, low cholesterol levels
- Premature hair greying
- Bone loss, Weak bones, Hearing loss
- Reproductive system difficulties, Infertility
- Slow nail growth
Food source for manganese
The main source of manganese is plant based.
Vegetarian Sources: Spelt (dinkel wheat), buckwheat, Brown Rice, Rye, Oats, Soybeans, potatoes, Garbanzo Beans (Kabuli Chana), Spinach (Palak), Green leafy vegetables, Pineapple, Pumpkin Seeds, nuts and seeds.