Magnesium is mineral which is required in body for enzymes activities, nervous system, brain and good bone health. This mineral is required by every major organ. The balance between magnesium and calcium should be maintained in body to keep bones and teeth healthy. Low level of magnesium in body is responsible for many chronic ailments.
In our body calcium and magnesium work together. Calcium needs magnesium for its proper absorption in the body. There must be a balance between combined calcium, magnesium with phosphorus. If body is deficient in magnesium than for balancing calcium level rises which is extracted from teeth and bones. This causes weaker bones and teeth. Now there becomes excess of calcium in blood. This excessive blood calcium gets deposited on soft tissues. This causes development of other ailments such as arthritis, osteoporosis, calcification of ovaries etc. So it is important to understand we should have adequate intake of magnesium for stronger bones and teeth as this keeps calcium inside bones rather than in blood.
- Activating various enzymes
- Healthy bones and teeth
- Proper bowel function
- Regulating calcium, copper, zinc, potassium, vitamin D levels in body
- Regulating of blood sugar levels
- Magnesium deficiency can cause calcification of ovaries (leads to hormonal imbalance), calcification of kidneys and calcifications in breast tissue
- Frequent headaches
- Loss of appetite
- Emotional disturbance, anxiety, confusion
- Personality changes
- Restless leg syndrome (Wittmaack-Ekbom syndrome), muscle spasm, weakness, Numbness and tingling
- Sleep problems, insomnia
- Nausea and vomiting
- Heart palpitations
- Premenstrual syndrome
Whole grains, spelt, buckwheat, brown rice, quinoa, millet, Green leafy vegetables, Spinach, nuts (almonds and cashews), legumes, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, beans.