Peanuts or groundnuts are nutritious and affordable nuts. Nuts are very beneficial for health as they provide vitamins, protein, minerals and amino acids in small servings. Groundnuts are a good source of fibre, vitamin E, niacin, folate, protein and manganese. These help in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, helps in lowering blood pressure and in better weight management. You can add a handful of peanuts in your daily diet to get its health benefits.
Benefits of eating Peanuts
- High folic acid content which is required for proper brain development
- Good in pregnancy as provides folic acid, amino acids (13% by weight) and other nutrient that help in better foetal growth
- Improves quality of diet and provide adequate nutrients
- Rich in fibre (25% by weight) and anti-oxidant as contain vitamin E, isflavones, resveratrol and saponins
- Good for the skin as these contain Vitamin E
Source of micronutrients such as copper, zinc and magnesium
Contains healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides
- Good for cardiovascular health as contain beta-sitosterol
Reduces risk of heart disease and diabetes
- Feeling of fullness so lesser tendency to overeat and eating unhealthy snacks. This helps in better weight control.
- Have low glycemic index (14 on 100 point scales) which means these release glucose more slowly and steadily in blood and gives more suitable after the meal blood glucose readings.
- Affordable nut