Limcee is supplement for vitamin C. It cures and prevents deficiency of this vitamin. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin that is not stored in body and required for normal wellbeing. Excessive vitamin C is excreted from body through urine. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that scavenges free radicals from body and protects body from many diseases. Smokers and secondhand smokers of any age requires 35 mg extra vitamin C along with their daily dose of this vitamin.
About Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin and does not get stored in body. Naturally, it is found in food of plant origin and particularly in citrus and soft fruits, Amla, and leafy green vegetables.
This vitamin does not tolerate heat and easily destroyed while cooking. Vitamin C is present in numerous dietary supplements and in licensed medicines at doses of up to 3000 mg.
Vitamin C is required in body for performing many important functions. It maintain capillaries, bones, and teeth and aids in the absorption of iron. Severe deficiency of ascorbic acid causes scurvy. Symptoms appear when the serum level falls below 0.2 mg/dl.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Brand: AHPL
- Type: Overthecounter OTC
- Supplementation for: Vitamin C
- Contains: Ascorbic acid 100 mg, sodium ascorbate 450 mg
- Interactions: Absorption of metal ions may be altered by vitamin C.
- Absorption: Gastrointestinal absorption of vitamin C occurs in the small intestine.
- Excretion: Unmetabolised vitamin C and vitamin C metabolites, such as oxalate, are largely excreted in the urine.
- Drug Interactions: Deferroxamine, hormonal contraceptives, flufenazine, warfarin, elemental iron, salicylates, warfarin, fluphenazine, disulfiram, mexiletine, vitamin B12.
Ingredients of Limcee tablet
Limcee (500mg) = Ascorbic acid 100 mg and sodium ascorbate 450 mg.
Ascorbic acid or Vitamin C: The naturally occurring organic compound with antioxidant properties. Ascorbic acid is chemical name of vitamin C.
Sodium ascorbate: It is mineral salt of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
Health Benefits of Vitamin C
- It has strong antioxidant effect and prevents damaging effects of free radicals.
- It is required for synthesis of collagen (protein that gives structure to bones, cartilage, and muscle), neurotransmitters and carnitine.
- It is must for absorption of iron from gastrointestinal tract.
- It boosts immunity and protects against the recurrent common cold.
- It also helps maintain capillaries, bones, and teeth.
Symptoms of Vitamin C deficiency
Vitamin C deficiency leads to the clinical syndrome of scurvy. Scurvy is a disease caused by prolonged severe dietary deficiency of ascorbic acid. In this condition the breakdown of intercellular cement substances leads to capillary haemorrhages and defective growth of fibroblasts, osteoblasts, and odontoblasts results in impaired synthesis of collagen, osteoid, and dentine. It is characterised by hemorrhagic gingivitis, inflammation of the gums, small red or purple spots on the skin, joint pain, poor wound healing, and corkscrew hairs.
- Vitamin C deficiency causes fatigue, weakness, aching joints and muscles.
- It also leads to anemia and delayed wound healing.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Limcee tablet
Treating and preventing Vitamin C deficiency
Dosage of Limcee tablet
Chew 1 tablet once a day. It may be taken with or without food.
Side effects of Limcee tablet
- Vitamin C intake in recommended dose is not associated with significant adverse effects.
- Excess intake can cause diarrhea, nausea, and stomach cramps.
- High doses of vitamin C exhibited decreased growth rates in guinea pigs and increased cholesterol levels. It may increase oxalate excretion and cause the formation of urinary stones.
- In people with a condition called hemochromatosis, which causes the body to store too much iron, high doses of vitamin C could worsen iron overload and damage body tissues.