Albendazole is a broad spectrum anthelmintic drug to treat parasitic infections. It works by killing and preventing worm growth inside the body. It belong to class of Anthelmintics (anti-worm).
Children get easily infected with roundworms, whipworms and hookworms. These parasitic worms causes malnutrition, growth stunting, intellectual retardation and cognitive deficits. The symptoms of parasitic infestation are fever, anal itching, skin rashes, recurrent yeast infections, cough, and abdominal pain. So give albendazole to children (1-5 year) every 4-6 months.
Symptoms of Intestinal Parasites in Humans
- Muscle pain, joint pain, chronic fatigue, restlessness
- Suppressed immune system
- Skin rashes, urticaria, recurrent yeast infections
- Common cold, running nose, fever, asthma, flu like symptoms
- Blisters upon the mouth, drooling, shaking
- Bad smelling stools, Sometimes with mucous and blood
- Loss of appetite, abdominal cramps, abdominal gas
- Anal itching
- IBS, Constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, nausea, vomiting
Deworming Dosing Instructions for Children
- Infants younger than 1 year (0-11 months): DO NOT give to infants younger than 1 year (0-11 months) of age.
- Children ages 12-23 months: Give children ages 1 year up to 2 years (12-23 months) ½ tablet of albendazole, 200 mg.
- Children ages 2 years up to 5 years: Give one 400 mg tablet or suspension. Repeat after 2 weeks.
- For deworming kids (1-5 years), give albendazole after every 4-6 months.
- Albendazole tablets should be given with food to lessen stomach upset. Each Albendazole dose should be taken with a full glass of water.
Few Albendazole medicine available in India
- Womiban 400 mg Tablet (Blue Cross Laboratories)
- Esbend200 mg/5ml (Ambalal Sarabhai India/Assence Pharma Pvt Ltd)
- Zelbend Syrup 200mg/10 ml (German Remedies India)
- Zentel Oral Liquid 200 mg/ 5 ml (GSK India)
- Albex 400 Tablet 400 mg(Saga Laboratories, India)
- Alworm Suspension: 200mg/ 5 ml (Medopharm, India)