Petroleum jelly or petrolatum is mixture of saturated branched hydrocarbons which is obtained as by product in refining of petroleum. It is prepared from semisolid residue left after the steam or vacuum distillation of petroleum. It has no smell and taste. It has translucent appearance and is highly flammable.
Vaseline is brand of petroleum jelly which is manufactured by Unilever Company.
Uses of Vaseline or petroleum jelly
- It is used for treating dry skin.
- It is used as ointment for dressing wounds, cuts, bruise, and burns.
- It is used on nappy rashes.
- It can be applied on skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, chapped skin etc.
- It can be applied in nostril in case of dryness.
- You can apply petroleum jelly to remove chewing gum from hairs.
- You can apply petroleum jelly on the face for miniaturization. It should be applied after washing face in wet condition.
- It can be applied on chapped lips.
- It can be used for removing makeup from face.
- It can be applied on articles made from iron to prevent rust formation.
Since petroleum jelly is hydrocarbon it interacts with latex. Therefore it should not be used on gloves and condoms. When used on condom it causes it to fail.
Petroleum jelly is non toxic, non-irritant and is safe to use.