Table of Contents
Zandu Balm is proprietary Ayurvedic medicine from Zandu Pharmaceuticals Works Ltd. It is used externally to get relief from painful joints, painful muscles, back pain, leg pain, sprain, head ache, minor sport injuries, cold, etc.
Zandu Balm contains oil of gaultheria (Oil of wintergreen) which is used to treat aches and pain in the body. This oil is obtained by steam distillation of leaves of Gaultheria. The chief ingredient of this oil is methyl salicylate. The other ingredient is menthol. This combination is useful in treating aches. It has anti-inflammatory and cooling effect.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary
- Brand: Zandu Pharmaceuticals Works Ltd.
- Main Indication: Pain, stiffness, sprain, etc.
- Suitable for: Unisex
- 1 ml: Rupees 2
- 4.5 ml: Rupees 10
- 8 ml: Rupees 30
- 25 ml: Rupees 80 (Prices are inclusive of all taxes)
Zandu Balm Ultra Power
- 1 ml – Rupees 2
- 8 ml – Rupees 32
- Zandu Gel Balm Junior (mild gel balm for cold, headache and body ache)
- Zandu Balm
- Zandu Balm Ultra Power
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Anti-rheumatic: Counteracting rheumatism and rheumatoid disease.
- Cooling: Relaxing.
- Rubefacient: Produces redness of the skin on topical application by causing dilation of the capillaries and an increase in blood circulation.
- Soothing: Calming effect.
Ingredients of Zandu Balm
1. Zandu Balm
- Mentha Sp. Satva 14.0%
- Gaultheria Fragrantissima Oil 12.0%
- Eucalyptus Globulus Oil 0.80%, Base q.s.
2. Zandu Balm Ultra Power
- Menthol 20%
- Oil of Gaultheria 25%
- Cajuput Oil 5%
- Clove Oil: 5%
- Capsaicin Extract 0.02%
3. Zandu Gel Balm Junior
- Mentha sp – Satva 6%
- Gaultheria fragrantissima – Oil 1%
- Cinnamomum camphora – Satva 11%
- Syzygium aromaticum Oil 0.3%
- Trachyspermum ammi Satva 0.1%
- Eucalyptus globulus – Oil 2%
- Myristica fragrans – Oil 0.5%
- Origanum majorana – Oil 0.5%
- Quinazarine Green SS, Base q.s.
About the ingredients
Gaultheria (Oil of wintergreen), is obtained from the leaves (fruits) of Gaultheria fragrantissima, a bushy evergreen plant with procumbent stems and upright rigid branches. Wintergreen has an aromatic odor; the taste of the whole plant is astringent. Wintergreen Oil contains methyl salicylate (96-98%), oenanthic alcohol (n-heptan-1-ol) and its ester (giving characteristic odor of the volatile oil). The oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-rheumatic, stimulant and rubefacient effect. The oil is used in the form of ointment in acute rheumatism, muscular aches, sprains, headache and sciatica and also as an ingredient in the mouthwash, toothpaste, etc.
Mentha (from Greek word Mintha, the name of a mythical nymph thought to have metamorphosed into the plant) Satva has analgesic, anticatarrhal, antimicrobial, rubefacient, stimulant and emmenagogue action. It helps to treat headaches and gives symptomatic relief of the common cold. It is applied externally on neuralgia, myalgia, headaches, migraines and chicken pox.
Eucalyptus oil is extracted from the leaves of Eucalyptus tree. It has anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, Sinus Decongestant, asthma relieving properties and is used traditionaly for colds, influenza, other respiratory infections, rhinitis, and sinusitis.
Cajuput oil is a volatile oil obtained by distillation of leaves of Melaleuca species (Melaleuca leucadendra, also known as White Tea Tree, Swamp Tea Tree, Paperbark Tree, White Wood). It is used traditionally for cold and flu, painful muscles and joints in rheumatic disorders, sciatica, lumbago, slipped disk, low back pain, muscular tension and pain following sports injuries such as sprains, bruising, and pulled muscles or ligaments.
It may cause skin irritation. This oil must not be applied to the facialarea, in particular not around the nose, of infants and small children.
Clove oil is obtained from cloves. It has antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, spasmolytic and a local anesthetic action. It is used internally for stomach ulcers and externally for colds and headaches and as a local analgesic and dental antiseptic.
Capsaicin Extract, is an active component of chili peppers. It is used in pain killer ointment as it decreases the intensity of pain signals to brain. It helps in Pain disorders, neuralgia, Cluster headaches, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, and other painful conditions.
Cinnamomum camphora or Camphor or Kapur soothe muscle aches and reduces pain. It has stimulant, antispasmodic, antiseptic, decongestant, anesthetic, sedative, calming, antineuralgic and anti-inflammatory properties. It increases local blood flow and reduces pain and swelling on topical application.
Benefits of Zandu Balm
- It is for external use.
- It is completely safe to use.
- It has pain relieving action.
- As it has analgesic action it can be applied on various musculoskeletal disorders.
- Its application helps to reduce swelling, stiffness of joint and thus supports better functioning.
- It helps in headache due to its cooling, soothing, pain relieving and congestion reducing properties.
- It is applied on forehead in case of coryza, congestion, cold and cough. It helps indirectly by improving blood circulation and reducing congestion.
- It gives relief in sprain, strain and pain caused by abnormal twisting of the body part such as Moch.
- In the case of pain in neck region, lower back, upper back apply this for relief.
- This OTC Balm is useful in multiple pain related conditions.
- It is from well-known Brand Zandu.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Zandu Balm
- Arthritis, osteoarthritis
- Aches and pains of the muscles, joints
- Joint Pain
- Minor sport injurie
- Knee Pain
- Muscle Pain
- Neck and Shoulder Pain
- Pain caused by sciatica, other rheumatic conditions
- Pain due to abnormal twisting
- Sprains (Moch)
How to use Zandu Balm
For external use ONLY. Apply on the affected parts and massage in circular motion. Massaging helps to improve blood circulation and better absorption. You may apply 3-4 times a day on the affected body part.
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
- This product is for external use only. It must not be taken internally.
- It is completely safe for topical use in adults.
- This product is not suitable for infants.
- Keep away from sight and reach of children.
- Wash your hands carefully after every use.
- Duration of treatment and onset of action depends on various factors (severity, symptoms of disease, age physical conditions of the patient, etc. So do not expect magic.
- The results may vary from person to person.
- Keep away from eyes, sensitive areas, cut and irritated skin, genitals.
- In the case of accidental contact with eyes, wash eyes with cool plain water.
- Apply only up to four times a day.
- Do a patch test before using.