Yograj Guggulu is a very famous Ayurvedic herbal medicine. It is prepared from 29 ingredients. It is a Guggul Kalpa which means a medicine containing an equal or more amount of guggul as compared to the number of other ingredients.
For making Guggul Kalpa, first, the Guggul is purified by boiling in Triphala Kwath to remove impurities and then fried in ghee and ground to a powder. To make specific gugguls it is then triturated along with formulated herbs, fresh juices or decoctions of other complementary herbs. Gugguls are specifically detoxifying due to scraping action and clears toxins and generally prescribed in doses of up to 4g twice a day.
Yograj Guggulu is the most effective Guggulkalpa indicated in Vata Vyadhis (neurological, musculoskeletal disorders). It is warming, digestive, and detoxifying in nature. It has anti-inflammatory, Vatahar and pain relieving the action. It shows a beneficial effect in arthritis, gout, degenerative diseases of joints due to excess vata, rheumatoid arthritis, back pain, etc.
Here is given more about Yograj Guggulu such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Amavata Rogadhikar
- Synonyms: Yogaraj Guggulu, Yograj Guggul
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Arthritis
- Dosha Effect: Pacifies Vata and Kapha
Ingredients of Yograj Guggulu
Yogaraja Guggulu Vati is a preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation Composition, given below, with Guggulu as the basic ingredient.
- Chitraka Plumbago zeylanica Rt. 1 part
- Pippali Piper longum Rt. 1 part
- Yamani (Yavani) Trachyspermum ammi Sd. 1 part
- Karavi (Krishna Jiraka) Carum carvi Fr. 1 part
- Vidanga Embelia ribes Fr. 1 part
- Ajamoda um leptophyllum Fr. 1 part
- Jiraka (Shveta Jiraka) Cuminum cyminum Fr. 1 part
- Suradaru (Devadaru) Cedrus deodara Ht. Wd. 1 part
- Chavya Piper Chaba St. 1 part
- Ela (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 1 part
- Saindhava Lavana Rock Salt 1 part
- Kushtha Saussurea lappa Rt. 1 part
- Rasna Pluchea lanceolata Rt./ Lf.* 1 part
- Gokshura Tribulus terrestris Fr. 1 part
- Dhanyaka Coriandrum sativum Fr. 1 part
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula P. 1 part
- Bibhitaka Terminalia belerica P. 1 part
- Amalki Emblica officinalis P. 1 part
- Mustaka (Musta) Cyperus rotundus Rz. 1 part
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 1 part
- Marica Piper nigrum Fr. 1 part
- Pippali Piper longum Fr. 1 part
- Tvak Cinnamomum zeylancium St. Bk. 1 part
- Ushira Vetiveria zizanoides Rt. 1 part
- Yavagraja (Yava) Kshara Hordeum vulgare Water soluble ash of Pl. 1 part
- Talisa Patra Taxus wallichii Lf. 1 part
- Patra Cinnamomum Tamala Lf. 1 part
- Guggulu -Shuddha Commiphora wightii O.R. 27 parts
- Sarpi (Goghrita) Clarified butter From Cow’s milk 1 part
- * Actual part used in the formulation.
- Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;Sd.= Seeds;St.=Stem;St. Bk.= Stem Bark;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of preparation
Take all the ingredients of the pharmacopoeial quality. Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 to 27 of the formulation composition separately and pass through sieve number 85, weigh them separately in the required quantities and mix.
Crush weighed the quantity of Guggulu-Shuddha, add the fine powder of other mixed ingredients to it and pound well. Add Ghrita in small quantity at regular intervals for smooth pounding and continue pounding till a semi-solid uniformly mixed mass of suitable plasticity is obtained.
Expel the mass through Vati machine fitted with a suitable die and cut the Vatis to the desired weight. Roll the Vatis on a flat surface to round them by the circular motion of palm covered with a glove and smeared with Eranda Taila or use a suitable mechanical device. Dry the rounded Vatis in a tray-dryer at a temperature not exceeding 600 for 10 to 12 h. Pack it in a tightly closed container to protect from light and moisture.
Description: Dark brown spherical Vati with a spicy pleasant odor and astringent taste.
Storage: Store in a cool place in a tightly closed container, protect from light and moisture.
Know the Ingredients
Guggul is gum resin (Niryas) of the Commiphora Mukul tree. The principle action of Guggulu as mentioned in Ayurveda are Tridosha Shamaka, Vedanasthapana, Lekhana, Shulahara And Shothahara. It is anti-inflammatory, hypolipedemic, antiseptic, antibacterial, astringent, antispasmodic and antifertility.
Guggulu is highly effective in the treatment of Vata-Vikar and inflammatory conditions. The gum resin contains guggul sterons Z and E, guggul sterols I-V, two diterpenoids- a terpene hydrocarbon named cembreneA and diterpene alcohol- mukulol, a-camphrone, and cembrene, long chain aliphatic tetrols- octadecan-1,2,3,4-tetrol, eicosan-1,2,3,4-tetrol, and nonadecan-1,2,3,4-tetrol. Major components from the essential oil of gum resin are myrcene and dimyrcene.
It is effective in reducing the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver. It reduces serum triglycerides, LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases HDL. It can reduce 14-27 percent blood cholesterol and triglycerides by 22-30 percent. Guggulu increases metabolism of LDL.
Guggul removes toxins from the body. It also works as a carrier for other drugs. It is used in Ayurveda for the treatment of arthritis, rheumatism, gout, lumbago, disorders of the nervous, respiratory, digestive and circulatory systems. It has anti-inflammatory with strong purifying and rejuvenating properties.
Classical Ayurvedic texts recommend not to take guggul as a single drug but along with other herbs in combination.
Triphala is a combination of Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki and used extensively in Ayurveda for the treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for the whole body. It is being used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. It contains vitamin C, linoleic oil, phospholipids, and other important nutrients. It is a rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of the mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development. It is a Rasayana drug and used for detoxifying and tonifying the body.
Triphala pacifies Vata-Vikar and cleanses the digestive tract. It aids elimination and purification. It tones and strengthens the digestive tract and promote regular and complete the evacuation of the bowels. It helps with the digestion and assimilation of food, improves blood circulation and has anti-inflammatory properties.
It revitalizes the whole body by removing toxins, gas, and distension whilst a nourishing the nervous system. It is good for anemia, fatigue, candida, cancer, allergies, constipation, diarrhea, yeast infections, indigestion, and skin disorders.
Triphala and Guggulu, both are a rejuvenating tonic.
Trikatu is a combination of dry ginger, black pepper, and long pepper. It is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. Trikatu is used in the treatment of jaundice. It also balances Kapha.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Yograj Guggulu
Yograj Guggul is Agni Deepaka, Bala Vardhaka, and Kaphavatahara. It Is Indicated in Plihodara, Anaha, Arsha, Gulma, Sandhi Vata, Vataroga, Majjagata Vata. It is astringent, sweet and pungent in taste (Rasa), Pungent after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya).
It is an Ushna Virya medicine. Ushna Virya or hot potency medicine subdues Vata (Wind) and Kapha (Mucus) and increases Pitta (Bile). It has the property of digestion, vomiting, and purging, and gives a feeling of lightness. It is considered bad for sperms and fetus.
- Rasa (Taste): Katu (pungent) kashaya/Astringent, Madhura/Sweet
- Guna (Characteristics): Laghu/Light, Ruksha/Dry
- Virya (Potency): Ushna/Hot
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Katu/Pungent
- Action on the body: Cures arthritis, clears Vata from the body, scraps toxins.
- Dosha effect: It reduces Vata and Kapha and increases pitta.
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscles, bone, nerve
- Srotas (channel): Circulatory, female reproductive system.
It is a Katu Vipak herb. Vipak refers to post-digestive (effect after digestion/cooking of Rasa) effect of tastes after its mixing with digestive juices. It is the long-term effect of the herb. Katu Viapk herb increases dryness in the body. Such foods reduce fertility and Kapha.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Amanashaka: Destroys ama
- Balvardhak: Promotes strength.
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Kapha-Vatahar: Remover of the Humor of Kapha-Vata.
- Lekhaniya: Scrapes waste residues from the channels.
- Medhoghna: Clears fat tissue.
- Pachana: Digests Ama but does not increase appetite.
- Raktashodhaka: Blood purifier
- Shothahar: Removes inflammation.
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha.
- Vatashodhana: Clears vata from the body
- Alterative: Alter favorably the course of an ailment.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Antiarthritic: Relieving arthritis. A remedy for arthritis.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucus from the body.
- Anticoagulants/antiplatelet: Decrease platelet aggregation and inhibit thrombus formation.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: It has the ability to reduce oxidative stress. Hence, it helps in the management of conditions such as leukoplakia, diabetes mellitus, chronic eye disease, and tissue injury.
- Antirheumatic: Alleviating or preventing rheumatism.
- Antispasmodic: Relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Circulation stimulant: Improves blood flow through body tissues.
- Detoxifier: It is a natural blood detoxifier and anti-microbial which helps alleviate skin diseases and enhances the complexion.
- Emmenagogue: Stimulates or increases menstrual flow.
- Muscle relaxant: Affects skeletal muscle function and decreases the muscle tone
Benefits of Yograj Guggulu
Yograj Guggulu is indicated in diseases that mainly occur due to vitiation of Vata, accumulation of toxins in the body and restricted circulation. The oral administration of this medicine improves circulation, detoxifies the body, balances Vata Dosha, nourishes nerves, eliminates obstructions and gives relief in pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- It rejuvenates and strengthens the neuromuscular system.
- It nourishes bones and nerves.
- It is excellent medicine for the dry type of arthritis with degeneration of the joints due to excess Vata and deficiency of shlesaka kapha preventing the nourishment of the synovial fluid.
- It helps in frequent cramps in muscles of hands, thigh, and legs.
- It removes toxins accumulated in the body.
- It maintains a healthy metabolism.
- It has anti-arthritis, alterative, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, circulation stimulant, carminative and muscle relaxant properties.
- It gives relief in inflammation of joints and pain in gout, arthritis, and osteoarthritis.
- It gives relief in pain, cracking, coldness, dryness, inflammation, deformation and numbness in rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, lumbago, gout, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive strain injury, toxic accumulations, sciatica, spasms, neuralgia, tingling sensations, tremors and stiffness, painful periods, and poor circulation.
Therapeutic Uses of Yograj Guggulu
Yograj Guggulu is indicated in a variety of diseases. It is one of the best medicine for Vata-Vyadhis.
- Agnimandya (digestive impairment)
- Anaha (distension of abdomen)
- Arsha (piles)
- Arthritis, Amavata/Rheumatoid arthritis
- Carpel tunnel syndrome, Repetitive strain injury
- Daurbalya (weakness)
- Dushtavrana (non-healing ulcer)
- Gout, rheumatism, Osteoporosis, low bone density
- Gulma (abdominal lump)
- Lower back pain, pain in muscles
- Majjagata Vata (bone marrow disorders)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Pain, cracking, coldness, dryness, swelling, deformation, numbness of joints
- Painful periods
- Plihavriddhi (splenomegaly)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sandhigata Vata (osteoarthropathy)
- Sciatica, neuralgia
- Tingling sensation, tremors, stiffness
- Udararoga (diseases of the abdomen)
The Dosage of Yograj Guggulu
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 500mg to 1 gram.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with warm water or milk.
- It is taken after meals.
- The Anupan (fluid vehicle) for this medicine is lukewarm water or Rasna Kwath.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- Yograj Guggulu can be safely taken un recommended dosage for longtime without side-effects.
- It can be used as a supportive therapy along with other medicines.
- It is hot in potency.
- It should be taken only in recommended doses. High doses cause a burning sensation acidity, heartburn, etc.
- The upper dosage limit is 6 grams/day.
- This medicine should not be taken during pregnancy.
- It has Anticoagulants/antiplatelet action. When taken along with warfarin, enoxaparin, heparin, aspirin, dipyridamole, clopidogrel, it may increase the risk of bleeding. Therefore, in such cases caution is advised.
- It should not be taken while suffering from dengue.
- Guggullipid is reported to reduce the effect of anti-hypertensives such as propranolol and diltiazem
- and so, the medication should be adjusted accordingly.
- Take cautiously with hypoglycemic (blood sugar lowering) medication.
- Guggul is contraindicated in acute kidney infections, excessive uterine bleeding, thyrotoxicosis, pregnancy, and breastfeeding.
Pharmacies Making Yograj Guggulu
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Dabur Yogaraj Guggulu
- Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan Yogaraj Guggulu
- Patanjali Divya Pharmacy Divya Yograj Guggul
- Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited Yogaraj Guggul
- Pankajakasthuri Herbals India Yogarajaguggulu Gulika
- Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala
- Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala Yogaraja Guggulu Vatika
- and some other pharmacies.
Can I mixed yogarajaguggulu and indukandam Kashayam?is any problem sir?
After how many days the effect will be shown for arthritis patient
Very helpful details.