Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Hingwastak Churna
- 2 Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- 3 Benefits of Hingwastak Churna
- 4 Important Medicinal Uses of Hingwastak Churna |Ashta Choornam
- 5 Dosage of Hingwastak Churna
- 6 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- 7 Pharmacies Making Hingwastak Churna
Hingwastak Churna (fine powder) is an Ayurvedic medicine containing eight ingredients viz. asafoetida (fried in ghee), dry ginger, black pepper, long pepper, rock salt, cumin, black cumin and ajwan. Ashta Choornam is another name this medicine.
This medicine is very helpful in disorders of gastrointestinal tract. It has carminative action and hence excellent for Vata Roga. For gas, indigestion, constipation and other common problems associated with poor digestion, Hingwastak churna is very good. It improves appetite, digestion and assimilation and reduces Ama dosha.
Ama is the unmetabolised waste that is not utilized by the body. It is sticky, heavy, viscous, slimy, unctuous, wet, cold, sweet and is the root cause of most of diseases in the body, resulting from excess Vayu or Kapha (or both). Ama Dosha in body causes blockage of the channels, mucus congestion, loss of strength, lack of movement and reverse flow of vata, accumulation of wastes, oedema, low digestive fire, bloating, constipation, itchy anus, thick tongue coating, sluggish and slippery pulse, lack of enthusiasm and stagnation in the tissues. Ama is decreased in body by intake of foods which are pungent, hot in potency and pungent after digestion (Katu Vipak). Spices such dry ginger, black pepper, long pepper, etc. burns the Ama (Ama-Pachana).
Hingwastak powder taken in dose of ¼ teaspoon twice a day after lunch and dinner, relieves abdominal muscle pain. To stimulate digestion, it should taken before meal. Benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage of this medicine given below.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Agnimandyadirogadhikara
- Synonyms: Ashta Choornam, Hingastak Churna, Hingvastak Churna, Hingwastak Powder, Hingvastak churna (powder), Hingwastakachurna, Hingashtaka
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Digestive Problems, Abdominal Distension, Gas, Colic, Indigestion, Poor Appetite
- Dosha Effect: Decreases Vata and Kapha, increases Pitta
Ingredients of Hingwastak Churna
- Sunthi Dry Ginger Powder 3 gram
- Maricha Back Pepper 3 gram
- Pippali Long Pepper 3 gram
- Ajamoda 3 gram
- Saindhava Namak 3 gram
- Jeeraka Cumin Seeds 3 gram
- Kalajira 3 gram
- Shuddha Hingu Asafoetida fried in Ghee 3 gram
Know the Ingredients
Hingu (Asafoetida) is a strongly foetid brownish resinous latex of a tree. It is bitter, acrid, carminative, antispasmodic, expectorant, digestive, and laxative. Heeng is helpful in abdominal gas, colic, indigestion, and anorexia.
Hing should be avoide in High pitta, inflammatory conditions of the liver and brain and pregnancy.
Trikatu is combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper. It is effective for burning Ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. This herbal churna supports better digestion and cures constipation. Used to stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha. Very effectively clears mucus from the stomach and lungs.
- Rasa (taste): Pungent
- Virya (energy): Heating
- Vipak (post-digestive effect): Pungent
- Gunna (quality): Light, dry
- Dosha effect: VK−, P+, can aggravate V in excess
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscle, fat
- Srotas (channel): Digestive, respiratory, fat, eliminatory
Trikatu stimulates sluggish agni. Ayurvedic trikatu churna is helpful in Vishamagni (irregular appetite, variable hunger, bloating, indigestion, intestinal cramps, constipation, dry stool, gas.) and Mandagni (slow digestion, heaviness after a meal, sluggish bowels, bulky stool, feeling cold, sweet craving, stimulant craving). This Ayurvedic powder is indicated especially in low digestive activity with sluggishness, bloating, abdominal pain and flatulence due to high kapha or vata. Herbal trikatu churna also helps in conditions of poor nutritional assimilation due to parasites, a leaky gut or low enzyme secretions.
Saindhava namak, sendha namak or Rock salt, is brownish-white crystal salt mined from the underground dry sea beds. It is hot in potency but believed to be more cooling than natural sea salt. In Ayurveda for digestive disorders Sendha namak is preferred. It stimulates salivation and digestion.
Cumin seeds are used in the treatment of mild digestive disorders, diarrhea, indigestion, low appetite, gas, flatulence, colic, dyspeptic headache and bloating. Cumin seeds are used for gastrointestinal, gynecological and respiratory disorders.
Ajwain is carminative spice. It is and is beneficial in anorexia, indigestion and abdominal gas. Ajwain subdues both Vata and Kapha, improve secretion of digestive enzymes, gives relief in gas and colic and cures problems due to overeating. For treating indigestion, colic pain, internal obstructions, anaemia and diarrhea this medicine is very good.
A teaspoonful of seeds with a little salt is given for indigestion from irregular diet. For stomach ache, cough and digestion, the seeds are masticated and swallowed, followed by intake of a glass of hot water.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Amadosha-hara: Removes toxins
- Anulomna: Takes vata / wind downward, mild laxative.
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha.
- Pachana: Digests Ama but does not increase appetite.
- Ruchikarak: Improve taste.
- Sthaulyamedoghna: Removes fat and obesity
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha.
- Vatanulomana: Takes Vata / wind downward, mild laxative.
- Anti-cough: Reduces cough.
- Antispasmodic: Relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Digestive: Aids or promotes the digestion of food.
- Digestive: Digestant.
Benefits of Hingwastak Churna
- This herbal preparation is mixture of salt, spice and herbs.
- Provide relief in gas, bloating, and spasms.
- Very good to improves metabolism.
- This medicine helps in reducing fat.
- For improving appetite, digestion and assimilation this is very good.
- This medicine stimulates healthy and unobstructed peristalsis.
- It balances downward moving energies.
- Very effective in stomach infection, bloating, indigestion and abdominal pain.
- This churna regulates apana vayu (vata responsible for moving downwards and eliminating stool, flatus, urine, menses and the fetus).
Important Medicinal Uses of Hingwastak Churna |Ashta Choornam
- Hingwastak powder is mainly indicated in indigestion (heaviness, gas formation, constipation or loose motion).
- Abdominal distention
- Agnimandya (Digestive impairment)
- Ama Dosha (metabolic waste and toxins)
- Gulma (Abdominal lump)
- Heaviness, gas formation, constipation or loose motion
- Intestinal colic
- Loss of appetite
- Low metabolism
- Shula (Colicky Pain)
- Vataroga (Disease due to Vata Dosha)
Dosage of Hingwastak Churna
The recommended dosage of medicine is 1-4 grams.
It should be mixed with Ghee and taken twice or thrice a day before meal as deepaniya (a digestive stimulant).
Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is very safe medicine to take. It is just mixture of spices and salt.
- This Ayurvedic medicine is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- It should be taken cautiously, (in very low dose, if taken) in pregnancy, high pitta, and hyperacidity in the stomach.
- This medicine contains salt, and hence not suitable for people suffering from high blood pressure and kidney related disorders.
- Over-dosage may cause burning sensation in abdomen.
- People on restricted sodium diet should not take this medicine.
- It increases pitta and hence may cause acidity and gastric irritation.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
Pharmacies Making Hingwastak Churna
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since this is a classical medicine, many Ayurvedic pharmacies making this.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath Hingvastak Churna
- Dabur Hingwastak Churna
- Sri Sri Ayurveda Hingvastaka Churna
- Zandu Hingwashtak Churna
- Kottakkal Ashta Churnam
- Arya Vaidya Pharmacy Ashta Choornam
- Vaidyaratnam Ashta Choornam
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.