Table of Contents
Arsh Kalp is proprietary Ayurvedic medicine from Vaidrishi labs. This medicine is useful in Arsha or piles. Piles is also known as hemorrhoid. In medical term, it is defined as pain caused by venous swelling at or inside the anal sphincter. Piles develops due to excessive pressure on anus. This excess pressure in anus develops due to constipation, pregnancy, delivery or any other reasons, causes swelling of anal cushions.
It can be internal and external depending on location of hemorrhoids. Internal hemorrhoids are inside anus and External hemorrhoids occur outside the anus. Piles can be due to many reasons such as sitting for long times, irregular diet, chronic constipation, dry foods, lack of fibre etc.
Arsh kalp capsules are taken orally and ointment is applied topically on piles. The main ingredient of this medicine is Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa). Vaid Rishi Arshkalp, helps in piles as it gives relief in constipation and makes stool softer which reduces straining.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary
- Brand: Vaid Rishi Herbals
- Main Indication: Piles / Hemorrhoids / Haemorrhoids / Arsha / Bawaseer
- Pack Size (Weight): 6 capsules of 500 mg Arshkalp Capsules per bottle.
- Price Vaidrishi Ayurvedic Arsh Kalp Capsules 6 capsule: Rs. 76.00
The advertisement of Arsh Kalp Capsules claims to cure piles through three doses in three days and the medicine being replacement for surgery. The CCC (Consumer Complaints Council) has found this claim to be either misleading or false or not adequately / scientifically substantiated and hence violating ASCI’s Code.
This page gives information about the product, its ingredients, benefits that can be due to presence of ingredients and method of use.
Composition of Arsh Kalp Capsules
Each Arsh Kalp capsule is of strength 500 mg and contains following ingredients:
- Katuki Picrorhiza kurroa 300 mg
- Neem Azadirachta indica 30 mg
- Maricha Piper nigrum linn 30 mg
- Chitraka Plumbago zeylanica 30 mg
- Nagkesar Mesua ferrea 30 mg
- Sonth Zingiber officinale 30 mg
- Daruhaldi Extractum berberis 30 mg
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula 20 mg
Know the ingredients
Katuka (Synonyms: Picrorhiza kurroa, Tikta, Tiktarohi, Kutki, Katuka rohini, Katuku rohini, Kadugurohini) is a perennial, hairy herb found in north-western Himalayas from Kashmir to Sikkim. The main constituent of the rhizomes are Glucoside (Picrorhizin). The rhizomes of plant are dried and used for medicinal purpose.
It has alterative, bitter, tonic, antibacterial, antiviral, anthelmintic, hepatoprotective, choleretic, spasmolytic, insecticidal and laxative activities.
Traditionally, Picrorhiza is used for constipation, chronic dysentery, scabies, leucoderma, joint pain, chronic asthma, infections, inflammations, coughs, hepatitis, menstrual problems, enteritis, gall bladder complaints, jaundice and hemorrhoids. It works on plasma, blood and muscle tissues.
Kutki pacifies Vata and Pitta and reduces Ama in body. It helps in liver conditions and is considered main herb for jaundice, hepatitis etc. It purges excess pitta from the liver and gall bladder. It protects the liver.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Action: Dipan, Bhedi, Jwarhar, Pittahar
Dosha effect: Reduces Pitta and Kapha but increases Vata
There are few conditions in which use of Picrorhiza kurroa should be avoided. For example, it stimulates immune system and therefore should be taken carefully in auto-immune disorders (systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), Hashimoto thyroiditis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, polymyositis, scleroderma, Addison disease, pernicious anemia etc). As stimulation of immune system can worsen the symptoms. Picrorhiza also affects blood sugar level. It lowers the blood sugar level.
It should be taken with caution in high Vata condition, tissue deficiencies, diarrhea and hypoglycemia.
Neem (Synonym: Azadirachta indica Melia azadirachta, Margosa Tree) is well-known and common tree of India. The active constituents of neem are mainly triterpenoids, sterols, bitter principles nimbin and nimbiol. It has significant antiseptic, insecticide, Analgesic, Anti-inflammatory and Laxative properties.
Neem is used to treat intestinal worms, heat-rash, boils, wounds, jaundice, leprosy, skin disorders, stomach ulcers, chicken pox, malarial fever etc.
Kali Mirch (Synonym: Piper nigrum) is commonly used spice with Analgesic, Antibacterial, Antioxidant, Antiseptic, Digestive, Emmenagogue, Expectorant, Sialagogue and Stomachic properties. It is used traditionally in treatment of Anorexia, Colic, Constipation, Congestion, Cough, Dyspepsia, Dysuria, Fever, Gas, Hemorrhoid and Water Retention.
Piper nigrum is added to medicines for drug potentiation. It improves bioavailability of phytochemicals.
Chitrak (Synonyms: Plumbago Zeylanica, Agnisikha, Anala, Leadwort, Akkini) roots contain plumbagin. In less dose Plumbagin stimulates the muscles and paralyses at high dose. Roots of this herb increases the appetite, digestive power and useful for dyspepsia, flatulence, piles, anasarca, diarrhoea, skin diseases, constipation, etc. It has Abortifacient, Antibacterial, Antifertility, Anti-implantation, Antiseptic, Digestive, Diuretic and Laxative properties.
The main therapeutic use of the roots are colitis, indigestion, hemorrhoids, diarrhea, gas, intestinal parasites, digestive weakness, malabsorption syndrome, abdominal pain and swelling of anus.
Nagkeshar (Synonyms: Mesua ferrea, Keshara, Nagapushpa, Naga, Hema, Gajakeshara) consists of dried stamens. It is hot in potency and given in treatment of Vasti roga (Diseases of urinary bladder) and bleeding disorders.
Shunthi (Synonyms: Zingiber officinale, Sukku, Chukku, Aushadha, Muhaushadha, Nagara, Vishva, Vishvabheshaja, Shringavera, Vishva) is dry ginger powder. It is hot in potency and increases pitta and decreases Kapha. It is a digestive stimulant. Ginger is also used to give relief in sea sickness and morning sickness.
Daruhaldi is bactericidal, amoebicidal and fungicidal. It is been used for many conditions, such as amoebic dysentery and diarrhoea, inflammation and liver diseases.
Haritaki / Chebulic myrobalan / Terminalia chebula, consists of the pericarp of mature fruits of Terminalia chebula Retz. (Fam. Combretaceae), a moderate sized or large tree found throughout India, chiefly in deciduous forests and areas of light rainfall. The main constituent of Haritaki is Tannins, anthraquinones and polyphenolic compounds. Chebulic Myrobalan is a good purgative. Haritaki treats intestinal parasites, constipation, diarrhea, gas, cough and diseases of eyes.
Vaidrishi Arsh Kalp Ointment
This ointment is to be applied before and after the evacuation. Or apply as directed by physician.
Manufacturer: SAGIUS LIFESCIENCES LTD. Hisar, Haryana
Marketed by: Vaidrishi Laboratories, Janak Puri, New Delhi
- Anal bleeding
- Anal pain
- Anal itching with external or internal piles and fissure
Ingredients: Nirgundi, Genda Patti, Bhringraj, Majuphal, Kattha, Neem oil, Kasisadi TAila, Karpoor, Bee’s wax, Paraffin
Price of Vaidrishi Arsh Kalp Ointment / tube 20grams: Rs76.00
Biomedical Action of Vaid Rishi Arshkalp Capsules
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Hypoglycemic: Reducing level of the sugar glucose in the blood.
- Digestive: Digestant.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate evacuation of the bowels.
Indication of Arsh Kalp
This medicine is specifically for piles treatment.
- Bleeding piles
- Non-bleeding piles
Dosage of Arsh Kalp Capsules
- Arsh kalp Capsules is given in the dosage of 1-2 capsules twice a day depending upon the condition.
- Arsh kalp Capsules should be taken with butter-milk or lukewarm water on empty stomach in the morning and in the evening before dinner.
- Once the piles are relieved, it is advisable to consume one more pack of Arshkalp one week later to avoid recurrence.
- In case, person is suffering from constipation, then regularly take 2 teaspoons full of Triphala Churna with warm water at bedtime to avoid constipation.
Note: While taking Arsh Kalp capsules, one should not eat anything except, Roti with Moong Dal (Without adding any salt or condiments), Wheat Dalia without any sugar or salt, Milk without sugar and plain water.
Arsh kalp Capsule should be taken frequently under the physician’s advice in case of piles as well as fistula in ano.
Safety of Drug
It is Unsafe to take this medicine during Pregnancy. The Leadwort, Black Pepper, are hot potency medicine and are considered abortifacient.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Side-effects and Warnings
- Do not expect magic. It is a medicine.
- Hemorrhoids or piles often clear up by themselves after a few days.
- The medicine helps to reduce itching and discomfort.
- Make necessary dietary changes. Avoid constipation and keep stools soft and regular.
- Add wholegrain bread, cereal, fruit and vegetables in diet.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine.
- You make take herbal laxatives such as Triphala, Psyllium husk etc.
- Do exercise.
- Do not strain on the toilet.
- Application of cream helps to reduce swelling and discomfort. But apply cream only for 5-7 days at a time as it may irritate the sensitive skin around anus if used for longer duration.
- Hemorrhoid surgery is usually be recommended in case piles is located in the lower part of the canal where the nerves are present.
- Do not use more than one product at once.
- Do not take during diarrhea.