Table of Contents
Saunf or Sounf is Hindi name of aromatic fennel. It is used for flavoring food and also as a medicine. Fennel seeds are used therapeutically due to expectorant, digestive, stimulant and carminative properties. They are used as home remedy to treat digestive problems, gas, bloating, colic, nausea, inflammation and cough. The seeds also have ability to stimulate breast milk and is a useful remedy for breastfeeding mothers.
Saunf ark (also spelled as Arq) is liquid extraction from the fennel seeds. It is given alone or as an adjuvant with other medicines in case of common digestive problems such as colic pain, indigestion, diarrhea or upset stomach.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
What is Arka? Arka is a liquid preparation obtained by distillation of certain liquids or drugs soaked in water using the Arkayantra or any convenient modern distillation apparatus.
- Synonyms: Sounf Arka, Mishrey Ark, Mishreya Arka, Ark Saunf, Saunf ka Ark, Saunf Arq
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Digestive problems
- Suitable for: Everyone
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscles, nerve
- Srotas (channel): Digestive, respiratory, nervous, urinary, reproductive, lactation
- Dosha Prabhav (Effect on Humors): Pacifies Tridosha (Kapha-Pitta-Vata)
- Baidyanath Saunf Ark Price: INR 53.00
Ingredients of Saunf Ark
- Mishreya Foeniculum vulgaris (Fennel) (Fr.) 1.0 kg
- Water for soaking and preparation of arka 7.0 litre
- Distillate recovered as arka 5.0 litre
Preparation of Saunf Arka
The drug is cleaned and coarsely powdered. Some quantity of water is added to the drug for soaking and kept over-night. This makes the drugs soft and when boiled releases the essential volatile principles easily.
The following morning it is poured into the Arka yantra and the remaining water is added and boiled. The vapour is condensed and collected in a receiver.
In the beginning, the vapour consists of only steam and may not contain the essential principles of the drugs. It should therefore be discarded. The last portion also may not contain therapeutically essential substance and should be discarded.
The aliquots collected in between contain the active ingredients and may be mixed together to ensure uniformity of the arka.
Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) seed is considered an appetizer, stimulant, carminative, galactagogue, and stomachic and given for relieving flatulence, griping of the bowels and stomachache. It is useful in colic pain, vomiting, flatulence, indigestion, fullness, loss of appetite, burning syndrome, biliousness, anorexia and diseases due to vitiated blood.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Saunf is bitter, sweet in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya). It pacifies Pitta and Vata Dosha. It gives relief in daha (burning syndrome), vitiated blood, Sula (colic pain), trishna (morbid thirst) and chardi (vomiting). It is sweet, rochana (appetizer) and aphrodisiac.
It is a Sheet Virya herb or Cool potency herb and subdues Pitta (Bile) and Vata (Wind), gives nourishment to body and supports building of body fluids. Fennel seeds are tonic that improves body immunity and removes toxins. As mentioned in Ayurveda, it has following properties and action.
- Rasa (Taste): Madhura/Sweet, Katu (pungent), Tikta/Bitter
- Guna (Characteristics): Laghu/Light, Snigdha (Unctuous or Oily)
- Virya (Potency): Sheet/ Cool
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Madhura/Sweet
It is Madhur Vipak (digests into sweet) and has building, moistening and nourishing effect on body. Such herbs are cooling and reduce swelling, decreases Pitta and have Anabolic effect on body.
Action / Pradhan Karma
- Amadosha-hara: Removes toxins
- Anulomna: Takes vata / wind downward, mild laxative.
- Balya: Increase the strength of the body.
- Chardinigrahana: Antiemetic.
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha.
- Mukhasodhana: Purification of mouth.
- Mutral: Diuretics, increase the flow of urine.
- Sattva: Increases clarity of consciousness.
- Shulprashamana: Alleviates intestinal spasms.
- Stanya shodhana: These herbs purify the breast milk.
- Stanyajanana: Increases breast-milk.
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha.
- Vata-pitta-hara: Balances Vata and Pitta.
- Analgesic: Acting to relieve pain.
- Antiandrogenic: Blocks the action of androgens (male sex hormones).
- Antidopaminergic: Inhibiting or blocking the neurotransmitter activity of dopamine or related substances. Such agents are used in treating schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and stimulant psychosis.
- Antihepatosis: Anti acute or chronic liver disease of non-inflammatory nature.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Antispasmodic: Relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Antitussive: Prevent or relieve a cough.
- Cardiotonic: tonic effect on the action of the heart.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Digestive: Aids or promotes the digestion of food.
- Estrogenic: Properties similar to estrogen, female sex hormone.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- Galactagogue: Promotes or increases the flow of a mother’s milk.
- Gastrostimulant: Increase motility of the gastrointestinal smooth muscle, without acting as a purgative.
- Immunostimulant: Stimulate the immune system by inducing activation or increasing activity of any of its components.
- Secretolytic: Breaks up secretions especially phlegm.
- Spasmolytic: Able to relieve spasm of smooth muscle.
Benefits of Saunf Ark
- It is good for digestion.
- It stimulates digestion.
- It improves appetite.
- It reduces burning sensation.
- It gives relief in nausea and vomiting.
- It prevents and expels gas in digestive tract.
- It gives relief in gastrointestinal spasms and abdominal cramps.
- It is useful for kidney and spleen.
- It reduces excessive heat inside body.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Fennel Water
Digestive Problems such as colic pain, gas, bloating, abdominal distension, indigestion, griping of the bowels, stomachache, hyperacidity, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, constipation etc.
- Disorders of females such as menstrual cramps, pain during periods, less breast milk, pain in vulva etc.
- Respiratory Problems such as Cough, Dry Cough, Asthma
- Urinary problems such as Difficult Or Burning Urination
Dosage of Saunf Ark
- The recommended dosage of this medicine is 10-20 ml for children and 20-60ml for adults. It can be taken undiluted or with Dahi or Mattha.
- The medicine should be taken empty stomach. Take in either one hour before meal or 3-4 hours after having meal.
- This medicine can be taken twice or thrice a day.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- Health risks or side effects following the proper administration of designated therapeutic dosages are not commonly recorded.
- To avoid drug interaction, do not take fennel and medicines together. Maintain a gap of minimum two hours.
- Take Saunf arka empty stomach.