Table of Contents
Punarnavasava is a polyherbal Ayurvedic formulation. It is referenced from Bhaishajyaratnavali, and is indicated in Sotha rogadhikar (treatment of inflammation conditions). This medicine is prepared from Trikatu, Triphala, Daruhaldi, Gokhru, Choti and Badi kateri, Adusa, Punarnava, and many other medicinal herbs.
This medicine is especially indicated in deficiency of iron, spleen disorders, ascites and dropsy. Punarnavasam gives strength and stamina. Punarnavasava has diuretic and liver-protecting activities.
Asava are Ayurvedic medicines that contain self-generated alcohols. Asava are prepared from cold infusions or juice of medicinal herbs without using heat. The fermentation is done by burying sealed pots in the ground or husk for a period of one month followed by filtration. The self-generated alcohol during fermentation extracts the active principles from the ingredients and also acts as preservative.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as indication/therapeutic uses, ingredients and dosage.
Punarnavasava is a fermented liquid preparation, made with the ingredients of the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Shothaghni (Punarnava) Boerhaavia diffusa Rt. 16 g
- Marica Piper nigrum Fr. 16 g
- Pippali Piper longum Fr. 16 g
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula Fr.P 16 g
- Bibhitaka Terminalia belerica Fr.P 16 g
- Amalaki Emblica officinalis. Fr.P 16 g
- Darvi (Daruharidra) Berberis aristata St. 16 g
- Gokshura Tribulus terrestris Fr. 16 g
- Brihati Solanum indicum Rt. 16 g
- Kantakari Solanum xanthocarpum Pl. 16 g
- Vasamula (Vasa) Adhatoda vasica Rt. 16 g
- Erandamula (Eranda) Ricinus communis Rt. 16 g
- Katuka Picrorrhiza kurroa Rt./Rz. 16 g
- Gajapippali Scindapsus officinalis Fr. 16 g
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 16 g
- Picumarda (Nimba) Azadirachta indica St. Bk. 16 g
- Guduci Tinospora cordifolia St. 16 g
- Shushka Mulaka (Mulaka) Raphanus sativus Rt. 16 g
- Duralabha Fagonia cretica Rt. 16 g
- Patola Trichosanthes dioica Lf. 16 g
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa Fl. 256 g
- Draksha Vitis vinifera Dr. Fr. 320 g
- Sita Sugar 1.6 kg
- Makshika (Madhu) Honey 800 g
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;St.=Stem;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of Preparation
Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 to 20 of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Wash and clean the ingredient number 22 of the formulation composition.
- Add specified amount of water to the ingredient number 23 of the formulation composition, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Madhu, Draksha, Dhataki and coarsely powdered other drugs. Seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.
- Pack in air tight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with aromatic odour and acrid taste.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Punarnavasava is an effective medicine in treatment of Shotha (inflammation conditions), Udar-roga (eight type of abdominal disorders), diseases of liver and spleen, hyperacidity, Gulma, and Kricchra sadhya Roga (related to difficult conditions to manage).
- Gulma/Abdominal lump
- Udar roga/ Diseases of abdomen, enlargement of abdomen
- Disorder of Spleen and Liver
- Liver diseases with edema
- Hepatitis, Cirrhosis of Liver, Ascites
- Generalized oedema
- All types of disorders with difficult prognosis
12-24 ml with equal amount of water after meals, twice a day, or as directed by physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Sandu, Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited Punarnavasav, Vaidyaratnam Punarnavasavam, Kerala Ayurveda Punarnavasavam, Kottakkal Punarnavasavam, Pankajakasthuri Herbals India Punarnavasavam and some other pharmacies.