Punarnavarishta/ Punarnavadyarishta is a herbal Ayurvedic medicine. It is an Arishta prepared by fermenting the decoction of medicinal herbs for enhancing the therapeutic properties and better drug delivery on oral consumption.
The principle active ingredient of this medicine is Punarnava. Punarnava has significant diuretic and slight laxative properties. It is one of the important medicinal herb of Ayurveda which is used to treat diseases of the liver and spleen. It is very effective in internal abscess, jaundice and piles. It improves the digestive system, reduces inflammation, cures the fluid retention and very useful in managing heart diseases. It is useful in managing the lipids and cholesterol in healthy limits. Punarnava shows a beneficial effect in anemia, hernia and respiratory distress. It contains many flavonoids, alkaloids, steroids, triterpenoids, lipids, lignins, carbohydrates, proteins, glycoproteins, 14 amino acids, including 7 essential amino acids, large quantities of potassium nitrate, and punarnavine.
Ingredients of Punarnavarishta
Punarnavarishta/ Punarnavadyarishta/Punarnavarista is a fermented liquid preparation, made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 percent, and not less than 5 percent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Shveta Punarnava Boerhavia verticillata Rt. 144 g
- Rakta Punarnava Boerhavia diffusa Rt. 144 g
- Bala Sida cordifolia Rt. 144 g
- Atibala Abutilon indicum Rt. 144 g
- Patha Cissampelos pareira Rt. 144 g
- Vasa Adhatoda vasica Rt. 144 g
- Guduci Tinospora cordifolia St. 144 g
- Citraka Plumbago zeylanica Rt. 144 g
- Nidigdhika (Kantakari) Solanum surattense Pl. 144 g
- Jala for decoction Water 12.288 liter reduced to 6.144 liter
- Guda Jaggery 9.6 kg
- Madhu Honey 768 g
- Hema ( Nagakeshara) Mesua ferrea Stmn. 24 g
- Tvak Cinnamomum zeylanicum St. Bk. 24 g
- Ela (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 24 g
- Marica Piper nigrum Fr. 24 g
- Ambu (Hrivera) Coleus vettiveroides Rt. 24 g
- Patra (Tejapatra) Cinnamomum tamala Lf. 24 g
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;St.=Stem;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 to 9 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain a coarse powder.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 13 to 18 (Prakshepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain a fine powder.
- Add the specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to half and filter through a muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
- Add the ingredient number 11 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Madhu, finely powdered Prakshepa Dravyas and seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of the fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth. Pack in airtight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear, dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with an astringent taste.
Store in a cool place in a tightly closed amber colored bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Therapeutic use of Punarnavarishta
Punarnavarishta is useful in the treatment of diseases of the liver, jaundice, inflammation, and fluid retention in the body. This medicine mainly works on the liver and spleen, heart and urinary system. It gives strength to heart. It has diuretic action which helps to stimulate production of urine and thus helps in curing fluid retention in the body. It has diuretic, alterative and hematinic properties.
- Jaundice, enlargement of the liver and spleen
- Dropsy of hands, feet and body
- Regulates the function of the kidney
- Shotha (inflammatory diseases)
- Udararoga (abdominal diseases)
- Pliharoga (splenic disorders)
- Amlapitta (hyperacidity)
- Gulma (abdominal lump)
- Oedema or edema, ascites
- Jvara (fever), dengue fever
- Anemia, fluid retention
- Painful urination, burning sensation while urinating
The Dose of Punarnavarishta
12-24ml orally with an equal amount of water after meals twice a day. Or take as directed by a physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur, Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Patanjali Divya Pharmacy, Shri Bajranga Ayurved Bhawanand some many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.