Patrangasava is an herbal Ayurvedic medicine used in treatment of leucorrhoea and other period related problems. The principal ingredient is Patranga Caesalpinia sappan, along with several other medicinal herbs.
Intake of this medicine reduces inflammation and detoxifies blood. Patrangasava helps to correct hormonal imbalance and hemoglobin level. It helps person by improving the appetite and digestion. It gives strength to body and works on the root cause of disease. Patrangasava is an Asava and taken in dose of 12-24 ml twice a day with equal water after meals.
It is herbal liquid medicine based on Asava Arishtha principle of Ayurveda. Asava and Arishtha are Ayurvedic medicines prepared by fermentation. These are medicated spirituous liquors. Fermentation generates alcohol which in turn extracts the active constituent of medicinal herbs. The self-generated alcohol also helps in better and rapid absorption of drug in body. All Asava and Arishtha possess common property of being stomachic, stimulant, astringent and tonic.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, PradarRogadhikara
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine in Liquid / Syrup form
- Main Indication: All type of Pradara, Rakta Pradar
- Suitable for: Females
What is Pradar Rog?
Pradar means abnormal discharge from vagina. It includes Shwet pradar and Rakta pradar.
- Shwet pradar is leucorrhoea or white discharge. Leucorrhoea is defined as a whitish or yellowish discharge of mucus from the vagina. It can be broadly divided into physiologic leucorrhea which occur due to estrogen stimulation (in puberty, pregnancy) and inflammatory leucorrhea which occur due to certain infection. Leucorrhea that occurs due to infection should be treated using medicines.
- Rakta pradar means abnormal bleeding from vagina and includes menorrhagia and metrorrhagia. Menorrhagia means abnormally heavy bleeding at menstruation and metrorrhagia is the term for abnormal bleeding from the uterus.
Ingredients of Patrangasava
- Patranga Caesalpinia sappan 48 grams
- Khadira Acacia catechu 48 grams
- Vasa Adhatoda vasica 48 grams
- Salmali Salmalia malabaricum 48 grams
- Bala Sida cordifolia 48 grams
- Bhallataka Semecarpus anacardium 48 grams
- Japakusuma Hibiscus rosasinensis 48 grams
- Sariva Hemidesmus indicus 48 grams
- Amra Bija Mangifera indica 48 grams
- Daruhaldi Berberis aristata 48 grams
- Rasont Berberis aristata 48 grams
- Kiratatikta Swertia chireta 48 grams
- Shvet Jeeraka Cuminum cyminum 48 grams
- Bilva Giri Aegle marmelos 48 grams
- Bringraja Eclipta alba 48 grams
- Twak Cinnamon Cinnamomum zeylanicum 48 grams
- Kesar Crocus sativus 48 grams
- Laung Clove Syzigium aromaticum 48 grams
- Loha Bhasma 48 grams
- Draksha 960 g
- Dhataki pushpa 768 g
- Water 24.576 liter
- Sharkara Sugar 4.8 kg
- Madhu Honey 2.4 kg
Know the ingredient
The principle ingredient of this medicine is Caesalpinia sappan (Synonyms Caesalpinia minutiflora, Binacaea sappan) family Fabaceae (Leguminosae). It is konwn as Patanga, Patranga, Pattaranga, Pattaranjaka, Pattranya, Pattura, Raktaka, Raktasar, Ranjana, Rogakashtha in Sanskrit and Sappan Wood in English.
The decoction of the wood is considered a powerful emmenagogue, a strong astringent and useful in diarrhoea and dysentery. Traditionally, decoction of the heartwood is given as a powerful agent to stimulate menstrual flow and a tonic for women for fast recovery after childbirth. It shows beneficial effects in heavy bleeding and short periods.
The heartwood along with other ingredients is used in dysmenorrhea and leucorrhoea. It is also beneficial in certain forms of skin diseases and hemorrhage from the lungs.
In Ayurveda, Patranga is considered astringent, bitter, in taste (Rasa), pungent after digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya). It balances Kapha and Pitta.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Panduhar: Cures anemia.
- Raktadoshahar: blood purifying
- Shothahar: Removes inflammation.
- Sthambhana: Stops the watery flow from the body in the form of vomiting, diarrhoea.
- Anthelmintic: Expel parasitic worms (helminths) and other internal parasites from the body.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antispasmodic: Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Depurative: Purifying agent.
- Digestive: Digestant.
- Uterine tonic: Tonic for female reproductive health.
Benefits of Patrangasava
- It corrects hormonal imbalance.
- It improves hemoglobin level.
- It nourishes body.
- It improves appetite and digestion.
- It improves overall health.
- It promotes strength and stamina.
- It reduces swelling in body.
- It balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- It has healing and anthelmintic in action.
- It supports better functioning of liver.
- It detoxifies blood.
- It treats leucorrhoea due to its nourishing, hemoglobin improving, anti-inflammatory, and Tridosha balancing property.
- It gives relief in symptoms associated with leucorrhoea such as itching, pain and discomfort.
- It also helps in reducing the size and arrests abnormal growth of endometrium.
- It gives symptomatic relief in 2 weeks’ treatment.
- It is well tolerated.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Patrangasava
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Prolonged menstruation
- Inter-menstrual bleeding
- Dysmenorrhea (Kashtartava) pain during menstruation.
- Leucorrhea (white discharge) or Svetapradara, whitish or yellowish discharge of mucus from the vagina.
- Anemia, low red blood cells or hemoglobin in blood. Hemoglobin is a main part of red blood cells and binds oxygen. Thus in low hemoglobin cells do not get enough oxygen.
- Poor appetite and assimilation
Dosage of Patrangasava
The recommended dosage of medicine is 10ml-15ml with equal amount of water.
- It should be taken twice or thrice a day.
- It is to be taken with water.
- Take this medicine after meal.
- This medicine can be taken continuously for 1-2 months. In one year, 2-3 bottles of this medicine can be consumed.
Endometrial Hyperplasia (excessive proliferation of the cells of the endometrium, or inner lining of the uterus): Patrangasava + Dashmula Kadha is given in treatment of hyperplasia of uterus. This combination acts on reproductive system and improves the functions of uterus and Artava.
Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding: Patrangasava, thrice a day + Kushmula (Desmostachya bipinnata stapf) Choorna, 6 grams twice a day. The treatment is given for 3 months.
Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- It contains jaggery and dry grapes hence it is not suitable for diabetic person.
- It contains about 5 to 10% of self-generated alcohol.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
Pharmacies Making Patrangasava
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
- Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath Patrangasava
- Dabur Patrangasava
- Maharishi Ayurveda Patrangasava
- Divya Patrangasava
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.