Table of Contents
Bahumutrantak Ras is herbo-mineral Ayurvedic medicine referenced from Bhaishajya ratnavali and is useful in Bahamut Chikitsa or problem of frequent urination and loss of semen.
It is a Ras Aushadhi. Mercury is known as Rasa in Ayurveda and medicines that are prepared using purified mercury, purified Sulphur, and other Bhasma, etc. are named as Ras Aushadhi (Mercurial Preparations). Para, Parad, Rasa or mercury is a heavy metal that remains liquid at room temperature. It is used in Ayurveda only after proper detoxification as per classical Ayurvedic texts. Parad is an ingredient of numerous medicines due to its powerful medicinal properties. It balances Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
Ras Aushadhi (Parad containing medicine) are fast acting. They nourish the whole body and has Tonic, aphrodisiac, rejuvenative, anti-aging, wound-healer, and antimicrobial effect. The combination of mercury with other medicinal ingredients enhances the therapeutic efficacy of the medicine due to Yovani property of Parad. In preparation of Ras Aushadhi/medicine first Kajjali is made from purified Parad and Gandhak. As these medicines contain heavy metals, it is better to take them as prescription drugs.
This medicine contains herbomineral ingredients. The formulation given in classical texts also contains Opium. Though many pharmacies, make this medicine without Opium. But you should better check before taking. It is highly recommended to take this medicine with due caution. This page is intended to give you the correct information about this medicine. Do not use this information to self-diagnose and self-medicate. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali
- Synonyms: Bahumutrantaka Rasa
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Prameha
- Suitable for: Adults Only
Ingredients of Bahumutrantak Ras
As mentioned in Bhaishjya Ratnavali, this medicine contains an equal amount of the following:
- Ras Sindura 1 Part
- Lauha Bhasma 1 Part
- Bang Bhasma 1 Part
- Gular Bija 1 Part
- Bilva mool, Chhaal 1 Part
- Tulsi 1 Part
- Shuddha Ahiphena / Afeem 1 Part (Many pharmacies make Bahumutrantak Ras without Opium; Do check the list of ingredients)
Bhavna Dravya: Gular Fruit Juice
Know the ingredients
Ras Sindoor/Rasa Sindura is a mineral preparation of Ayurveda. It is a Kupipakva (processed in Kaach-Kupi or glass bottle) Rasayan containing Shuddha Parad and Shuddha Gandhak. Chemically, it is a red Sulphide of mercury. It is very effective in Kaphaj roga (disease due to Kapha), Balakhasya (loss of strength), Dhatukhasya (tissue wasting), Hridyadurbalya (weakness of heart), Prameha (Diabetes), Shula (colicky pain) and inflammatory conditions.
Lauha Bhasma is calcined iron. It is an inorganic preparation. Luha Bhasma has the following composition:
- Ferris oxide Fe2O3 87.930%
- Ferrous oxide FeO 2.850%
- Silica SiO2 7.338 %
- Phosphorous pentoxide P2O5 0.338%
- Magnesia MgO 0.083 %
- Lime CaO 0.363 %
- Potash K2O 0.012 %
Lauha Bhasma is Vayasthapana (anti-aging), Lekhana (emaciating) and Rasayana (immunomodulator) properties. It increases strength, complexion, and appetite. It cures diseases caused by vitiated Kapha and Pitta.
Lauha Bhasma is useful in anemia (Panduroga), chlorosis, visarpa, heart’s affections, phthisis, scrofula, general debility, sexual debility, Bright’s disease, blood impurity, jaundice, the liver and spleen complaints, pain, asthma, piles, skin disease. It promotes digestion.
Vang Bhasma is incinerated tin. It is aphrodisiac, rejuvenator, appetizer, and gives strength. It cures diseases caused by vitiation of Kapha and pitta. It cures cough, worms, asthma, and oligospermia.
Ahiphena/Aaphuuka/ opium is obtained from the fruits of Papaver somniferum Linn. It is bitter, astringent, sweet, constipating, aphrodisiac, sedative, somniferous, narcotic, myotic and antispasmodic. It is used for the treatment of cough, fever, inflammatory affections of eye, proctalgia and low back pain due to diarrhea and dysentery, migraine, malaria, dysmenorrhea, cystitis, menorrhagia, and other painful conditions. A large dose of opium exhibited toxic effects of the central nervous system, induces sleep, relieves pain and develops euphoria.
Ahiphena or opium is used for the preparation of medicine only after proper purification. This is done by rubbing or processing opium with fresh ginger juice 21 times (Bhavprakash Nighantu). Thus obtained Ahiphena is known as Shuddha Ahiphena.
Ayurveda mentions Ahiphena or opium as a substance which when used for the long duration cause a severe effect on the body. It kills appetite and dries the mouth and respiratory organs.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Balya: Increases strength
- Dahashamak: Gives relief in the burning sensation
- Pramehnashak: Treats Prameha
- Rasayana: Tonic medicine, cures body and mental diseases, delay old age, increase mental power, generating power, vital energy, eyesight, impart intelligence, memory, aid proper digestion and clear complexion
- Vrishya: Increases the quantity of semen
Benefits of Bahumutrantak Ras
- It is excellent medicine for Prameha, Madhumeha, Shukra kshaya, Oj kshaya, and Dhatu shaithilya.
- It is Vajikarak or Aphrodisiac.
- It improves Shukra Dhatu.
- It works on urinary and reproductive organs.
- It balances Kapha and Vata Dosha.
- It helps in urinary disorders.
- It cures anemia.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Bahumutrantak Ras
This medicine is indicated in Bahumutra, Prameha, Seminuria, Impotency, Premature Ejaculation, Thin Semen, Low Sperm Count, Soma Rog, etc.
1- Prameha Roga
Prameha (chronic urinary disorders; ‘pra’ means excess and ‘meha’ means to pass urine so ‘prameha’ means disease in which excess urine is passed). In Ayurveda, twenty different types of Prameha are described and they are put under vataj, pittaj and kaphaj category according to dosha. Madhumeha (‘Madhu’ means sweet and ‘meha’ means pass urine) is a subtype of Prameha. It is classified under the Vata dosh category.
2- Bahumutra Roga
In Ayurveda, Bahumutra is being classified as a variety of Prameha. It can be related to modern medical term Polyuria.
Polyuria is defined as the production of abnormally large volumes of dilute urine. In Polyuria, an adult person produces greater than 2.5 or 3 L urine over 24 hours.
Seminuria is defined as excretion of urine containing semen.
The Dosage of Bahumutrantak Ras
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1 tablet.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken according to disease.
- For, Bahumutrta/Polyuria, take with Jamun Guthli Churna (1 gram) + Gudmar Churna (1 gram) + Gular Ras + Honey.
- For Madhumeha/Diabetes, take with Giloy Ras.
- For Semen in urine, Impotency/namardi, premature ejaculation/Shighrapatan, low sperm count, take with milk added with Mishri.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- It is safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
Pharmacies Making Bahumutrantak Ras
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Baidyanath Bahumutrantak Ras
- Lion Bahumutrantak Rasa
- Unjha Bahumutrantak Rasa
- Dindayal Bahumutrantaka Rasa
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.