Table of Contents
Murivenna is a special medicated oil developed regionally in Kerala out of highly potent herbs like Karanja, Kumari, Sigru, Palandu etc., processed in coconut oil as base. Murivenna is popular for the appreciable results it has in the treatment of acute injuries like sprain, cramps, closed, fractures and bruises.
Murivenna has marked results in the treatment of arthritic disorders like pain, swelling, stiffness, spasticity and other acute as well as chronic ailments present in the joints.
Abyangam, Pichu, Kativasti etc. are performed with Murivenna for better results. It is either applied wholly over the body or applied over the site of injury, as per the case. The anti- inflammatory properties of the herbal ingredients present in Murivenna make it the prime medicine of treatment in acute injuries which involves swollen and painful sites.
- Significance of Name: The name Murivenna comes from two Malayalam words, Muri / Murviu = Wound and Enna=Oil. So the oil which heals the wound is called Murivenna Taila.
- Synonyms: Murivenna Taila, Murivenna Oil
- From: Kerala Tradition of Ayurveda
- Base Oil: Kera (Coconut) Thailam
- Principal Action: Vrana Ropana or wound healing
- Abyangam (Massage)
- Pichu (Treatment process in which a long, thick layer of cotton pads /Pichu soaked with warm medicated oil is applied over the affected area) for spondylosis
- Kati Vasti / oil application on lumbosacral region (Retention of warm thick medicated oil over the lower back or other parts of the spine for certain period) for lower back pain, sciatica, slip disc, lumbago, affections of hip area, pain in nerves etc.
- Price / MRP: It available from various Ayurvedic pharmacies in range of Rs. 110 to 150 for 200ml.
Medicinal properties of Murivenna Oil
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Antiseptic: Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents.
- Antiulcer: Tending to prevent or heal ulcers.
- Cooling: Gives cooling.
- Demulcent: Relieving inflammation or irritation.
- Main Indications / Usage of Murivenna Oil
- Burns, Bruises
- Black pigmentation
- Blunt injuries
- Diseases of Skin, itch, inflammation and pain due to Vata and Kapha
- Fractures of all kinds
- Inflamed joints from a fracture
- joint pain and inflammation
- Local application for traumatic pain and inflammation
- Muscular Skeletal Injuries
- Pimples, Acne
- Pain, Sprain, Strains
- Pain in muscles
- Swelling, gout, Arthritis
- Ulcers, Non healing wounds
Composition of Murivenna Oil
The formulation of Murivenna Thailam is not given in classical Ayurvedic treatise. The knowledge has been passed from the generations. Therefore, there can be slight variation in the choice of ingredients for preparing the oil.
Below is given one of its formulation:
- Betel leaves / Paan ke Patte (Piper betel) 450 g
- Drumstick tree leaves / Shigru / Moringa Moringa oleifera) 450 g
- Indian aloe / Aloe Vera/ Ghrit Kumari (Aloe barbadensis) 450 g
- Indian coral tree / Kaliyanamurukkan (Erythrina indica) leaves 450 g
- Indian beech leaves / Karanj (Pongamia pinnata) 450 g
- Onion / Pyaz (small variety) 450 g
- Vasu / Nathaichoor (Borreria articularis Syn. Spermacoce hispida) 450 g
- Wild asparagus tuber / Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) 120 g
- Rice wash of un-boiled rice 1500 ml
- Coconut oil / Kera Thailam / Nariyal Tel 1500 ml
- The fresh juice of leaves, Aloe vera and onion is extracted by sprinkling the rice wash.
- Paste of Shatavari is made.
- The juices, paste are added to oil and cooked till all the moisture is removed.
- It is filtered and stored.
Benefits of Murivenna Oil
- Murivenna is Ayurvedic oil and has no known side-effects.
- Its application effectively gives relief in wounds, swellings, fractures, sprains, and arthritis.
- It fastens the healing of wounds.
Directions for Use
For external use only, Warm the oil slightly and apply on body 1 hour before bathing.
- For a pimple, when you start feeling the pain itself, take few drops of oil in your figure and apply on top of pimple and around area.
- For small cuts, apply after some time of stopping the Bleeding and before you go for sleep. Apply it on cuts and the area where the swelling is there.
- But don’t apply continuously without allowing to dry. Once applied, we should give at least 8 hour gap, before applying second time.
- For cuts which you supposed to take Tetanus Injection, you need to take the same. Murivenna will help you only to heal the cuts.
- You can use Murivenna for body pains, in winter season.
- It is given internally in very low doses (10-15 drops), once or twice a day for osteoarthritis.
Few Important Points
- The base oil in this medicine is Coconut Oil which has tendency to get solidify in temperature below 20 degree Celsius. So in such case, warm the oil before use.
- The Oil has unpleasant smell. You can apply it in evening and leave it for overnight. Next morning you can wash it off.
- Use carefully on area around the eyes and open wounds.
- Keep in cool and dry place.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Kottakal Arya Vaidya Sala (Murivenna Massage Oil), Arya Vaidya Sala (Murivenna), Kerala Ayurveda (Murivenna), Oushadasala (Murivenna), AVP (Murivenna), and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.