Table of Contents
- 1 Moti Bhasma, Moti Pishti and Mukta Shukti Bhasma
- 2 Ingredients of Mukta Bhasma
- 3 Preparation of Moti Bhasma
- 4 Composition of Mukta Bhasma
- 5 Ayurvedic Properties and Action
- 6 Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- 7 Biomedical Action
- 8 Benefits of Mukta Bhasma
- 9 Important Therapeutic Uses of Mukta Bhasma
- 10 Dosage of Mukta Bhasma
- 11 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- 12 Pharmacies Making Mukta Bhasma
Mukta Bhasma is prepared from Pearl or Moti. For preparing Mukta Bhasma first pearls are purified and then reduced to oxide by calcination. It contains calcium as main element and other elements in fewer amounts such as magnesium, silicon, phosphorous and manganese. It is antacid, antipyretic, antiulcer, soothing and cooling in action.
Mukta Bhasma is useful In Calcium Deficiency, All Kinds of Debility, Consumption, Nervousness, Chronic Fever, Cough, Asthma, Hysteria, Cardiac Tonic, Heart Diseases, Hemoptysis (Rakta Pitta), Indigestion, Seminal Diseases, Hemorrhage, Rickets, Diabetes Mellitus, Dysuria, Acid Peptic Disorder, Eye Disorders, As Mood Elevator, To Promote Strength, Intellect, and semen production. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
What is Bhasma: Powder of a substance obtained after First stage Shodhana (purification), Second stage (Marana), and calcination is called Bhasma. Bhasma maintain their potency indefinitely. They have no characteristic taste.
- Mukta (Moti) Bhasma Prepared from: Mauktik or Pearl
- Chemical Formula: CaCO3
- Synonyms: Mukta Bhasma, Moti Bhasma, Pearl calyx
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Mineral Preparation
- Main Indication: Calcium deficiency, acidity, cough, rickets, bleeding disorder/hemorrhage, burning sensation of urine, etc.
- Dosha Effect: Balances Pitta and Kapha
Moti Bhasma, Moti Pishti and Mukta Shukti Bhasma
Moti Bhasma is Bhasma of Pearl and Moti Pishti is Powder of Pearls. Mukta Bhasma is prepared using direct heat as media of transformation while Mukta Pishti is prepared using indirect heat (trituration).
- Mukta Bhasma is a unique calcium containing preparation, prepared by trituration and calcination of pearl. Chemically, it contains mainly CaCO3. For preparation of Moti Bhasma, heat is used.
- Mukta Pishti is also Ayurvedic preparation of Moti or Pearls. For preparation of Moti Pishti, heat is not used. The pearls are triturated in Gulaab Jal or rose water daily and dried. The process is repeated for 21 days. Then it is powdered to get Moti Pishti. Pishti stabilize the inherent properties of drug with immense reduction in its particle size allowing penetration of that drug at cell level.
- Mukta Shukti (Shukti = Oyster Shell) Bhasma and Muktashukti Pishti are preparation of oyster shells which produces pearls.
Ingredients of Mukta Bhasma
Purified and incinerated Pearl (Mytilus Margaritiferus)
Pearl (Mytilus Margaritiferus) is a valuable gem included in Ratna Varga. It is used for making jewelries. In Ayurveda, pearls are processed to make Mukta Bhasma and Mukta Pishti.
Pearl preparations contain calcium, traces of magnesium, zinc, strontium, selenium, and 20-22 amino acids. It contains proteins which renew the skin cells, vitamin B complex and Polysaccharides which strengthen the muscles and the metabolism.
Raw Mukta contain calcium carbonate in aragonite form, which on repeated calcinations converts into a more stable calcite form.
Preparation of Moti Bhasma
- Trituration of purified Pearl with Rose water (per day 6 hours for 3 Days) is done till a homogenous paste is formed.
- After triturating, small pellets of uniform size (3×3 cm) and thickness are prepared and dried in sunlight.
- Pellets are kept inside a sharava (shallow earthen disc) and another sharava is inverted over it.
- The joint between the two discs is sealed with mud smeared cloth to ensure proper closure.
- The properly sealed and dried samputa is subjected to puta system of heating with approximately 1.5 kg cow dung cake. Maximum temperature is 600-700 °C with total duration of 8 hours.
- The process is repeated for 2 more times to obtain Bhasma of desired quality.
Composition of Mukta Bhasma
Mukta Bhasma contain Calcium (45.07%), Oxygen (41.52%), Carbon (12.44%), Sodium (0.15%), Phosphorus (0.13%), Silicon (0.12%), Chlorine (0.11%) Sulphur (0.08%), Manganese (0.07%), Magnesium (0.07%), Potassium (0.07), Strontium (0.05%), Aluminium (0.04%), Iron (0.04%), and Copper, Zirconium in traces.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Mukta Bhasma is Kapha-pitta shamaka, Vrishya, Aaushyam, Balakara and Brihmana and indicated in Kasa, Shwasa, Kshaya, Agnimandhya, Daha, Kaphaja Unmada, Vata vyadhi, Rajayakshma, Vish vikara and Netra roga.
Mukta Bhasma is sweet in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya). It is a Sheet Virya herb. Sheet Virya or Cool potency herb, subdues Pitta (Bile) and Vata (Wind), gives nourishment to body and steadiness and supports building of body fluids.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Madhura (Sweet)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Shita (Cold)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
It is Madhur Vipak (digests into sweet) and has building, moistening and nourishing effect on body. It is cooling and reduces swelling, decreases Pitta and have Anabolic effect on body.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Dahaprashamana: Removes and subsides internal heat and burning.
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Hridya: Beneficial for heart and mind.
- Jwarahara: Decreases vega of jwara and reduces the burning sensation.
- Kasahara: Removes cough.
- Medhya: that dravya which increases medha (intelligence ormemory) is known as Medhya e.g. Brahmi or Shankhapushpi.
- Pachana: Digests Ama but does not increase appetite
- Shvasahara: Cures asthma.
- Varnya: Increases the glow of complexion or establishes normal glow.
- Virya vardhak: Improves Virya / Semen.
- Vishahara: Destroyer of poison.
- Vrishya: Increases the quantity of semen.
- Alterative: Alter favorably the course of an ailment.
- Antacid: Neutralizes stomach acidity, which in turn relieves heartburn, indigestion or stomach upset.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Anti-ulcer: Treats ulcers in the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine.
- Cooling: Lower body temperature to relieve pain, swelling and reduces body heat.
- Gastroprotective: Counteract gastric mucosal damage.
- Nervine: Tonifying effect on the nervous system.
- Sedative: Promoting calm or inducing sleep.
Benefits of Mukta Bhasma
- It contains natural calcium, hence excellent in treating deficiency of calcium.
- It contains high quality calcium which strengthens bones, teeth and muscles.
- It is useful for growing children and pregnant women.
- It is cooling in nature.
- It reduces heat, pitta inside body and hence helps in gastritis, acidity, ulcers, excessive thirst, burning sensation in eyes, bleeding through nose and mouth etc.
- It has gastroprotective action.
- It protects against gastric ulcers.
- It is a Veerya Vardhak and helps in impotence, chronic spermatorrhoea.
- It increases libido, sexual desire, sperm count and strength.
- It is useful in gynecological conditions such as leucorrhoea, dysmenorrhea, excess bleeding, menstrual
- irregularities and menopause symptoms.
- It gives strength to the heart. It is useful in palpitation of heart (Hridaya prakampan), high blood pressure / hypertension (Uccha Raktachap).
- It gives longevity.
- It gives strength to bones.
- It gives luster to the eyes.
- It is good for skin as it revitalizes the skin and catalyzes new skin cell growth.
- It is useful in urinary diseases such as painful urination, urine retention, burning urination etc.
- It is cerebral tonic.
- It helps in nervous disease such as chronic headache, epilepsy, convulsive attacks etc.
- It is a well-known drug to promote strength, intellect and enhances semen production.
- Being mild in nature it is predominantly used in pregnant females, aged persons, and others who cannot tolerate strong medicines.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Mukta Bhasma
- Asthma/Dyspnoea (Shvas)
- Bleeding disorders (RaktaPitta)
- Bleeding piles (Raktarsh)
- Burning sensation in genitourinary tract
- Burning sensation in body
- Burning sensation in the eyes, palms and soles
- Burning sensation while urination (Mutrakrichhcha)
- Calcium deficiency
- Chronic fever
- Cough (Kasa)
- Decreased bone mineral density, Osteoporosis
- Dentitional fever (Dantodbhava Jvara)
- Fever due to Pitta Dosha (Pitta Jwara)
- Hyperacidity (Amlapitta)
- Insomnia (Anidra)
- Irritated nerves
- Mental disorder (Mano Vikar)
- Neuro-muscular disorders (Vata Vyadhi)
- Nose bleeding (Nakseer)
- Phthisis (Kashaya)
- Tonic (Rasayan)
- Tuberculosis (Rajayakshma)
- Unmad (Insanity)
- Urinary disorders (Prameha)
- Useful in pitta dosh
- Wasting and emaciation
Dosage of Mukta Bhasma
- This preparation is given in low dosage.
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 60-125mg.
- It should be taken once or twice a day.
- It is to be taken by mixing well with Ghrita or Honey or Gulkand, followed by glass of milk mixed with sugar.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- This medicine should be taken under medical supervision.
- Always take in recommended doses.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Mukta should be avoided in urinary stones.
Pharmacies Making Mukta Bhasma
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Dabur Mukta (Moti) Bhasma
- Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited SDL Mouktik (Mukta) Bhasma
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.