Table of Contents
Cinnamomum tamala (Talisha Pattri or Tejpatta) is a medium sized evergreen tree 2-10 m tall, found wild in the tropical and subtropical Himalayas at altitudes of 900-2500m, the Khasi hills, the nilgiri hills and at the foot of the Sikkim Himalayas. Its mature leaves are dried and commonly known as bay leaves. These are aromatic and used as spice in cooking. In Ayurveda bay leaves are used as medicine to treat various health ailments.
Cinnamomum tamala leaves and bark have aromatic, astringent, stimulant and carminative qualities and used in rheumatism, colic, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.
Bay leaves has Carminative, antidiarrheal, spasmolytic, antirheumatic, hypoglycaemic activities.
The dose of bay leaves in powder form is 1-3 grams.
- Latin name: Cinnamomum tamala Synonym Laurus tamala
- Family: Lauraceae
- Sanskrit: Tejapatra, Patra, Patraka, Utkat, Tamaalpatra, Naalukaa, Naalikaa
- Hindi: Tejpat
- English: Indian Cassia, Lignea, Indian Cinnamon
- trade name: Tamalpatra
- Assamese: Tejpat, Mahpat
- Bengali: Tejpatra, Tejpata
- Gujrati: Tamala patra, Develee
- Kannada: Tamalapatra, Dalchini Ele
- Kashmiri: Dalchini pan, Tajpatra
- Malayalam: Karuvapatta patram
- Marathi: Tamalpatra
- Oriya: Tejapatra
- Punjabi: Tajpater
- Tamil: Lavangapatri
- Telugu: Akupatri
- Urdu: Tezpat
- Unani: Saleekhaa, Saazaj Hindi Also equated with Zarnab/Telispattar
Medicinal usage of Bay Leaf
Here are few remedies that can be done at home using bay leaves to cure various ailments
- Cold, cough, Coryza, Allergy, SinusitisPrepare tea of Tejpatta (3-4), Tulsi leaves, Black pepper. Drink thrice a day. You may add honey as per taste.
- Headache due to coldPrepare decoction of Tejpatta and drink few times a day.
- Scalp infection, lice in hairsPrepare decoction by boiling Tejpatta (5 gm) in water (400 ml) till volume reduces to 100 ml. Filter and use this decoction, apply in roots of hair. Leave for 3 hours then wash with plain water. You may add Bringraj in it to make hair black and strong.
- Khasi, CoughingTake powder of Tejpatta leaves (2 gm) with honey.
- Asthma, Respiratory problemsTake Tejpatta (5 gm), liquorice (2 gm), pippali (1 gm) or sonth (1 gm). Prepare decoction in 200 ml water till volume reduces to 50 ml. Filter and drink.
- Abdominal pain, Abdominal gas, Indigestion, Nausea, vomitingPrepare decoction by boiling Tejpatta (5 gm), ginger in water (400 ml) till volume reduces to 100 ml. Filter and drink twice or thrice a day.
- Kidney stone, Kidney problemRegular intake of Bay leaves decoction prevents recurrent stone formation in body.
- Heart diseases, Angina, Uneasiness, PalpitationPrepare decoction by boiling Tejpatta (3 gm), Rose petals (3 gm), clove (3) in water (300 ml) till volume reduces to one forth. Filter and drink twice or thrice a day.
Uterus infection after delivery
Boil Tejpatta (3 gm), Ajwain, Sonth in water and drink twice a day.
- Sneezing in morningRegularly drink Tejpat decoction.
- Arthritis, Joint pain, Gout, InflammationWarm bay leaves and Castor leaves and apply at affected area.
Bay leaves tea Health Benefits
Ingredients of Bay leaves tea
Bay leaves (3), Tulsi leaves (8-10), Black pepper (2-3), Cinnamon, ginger juice (1/2 tsp) Honey or sugar
Recipe of Bay leaves tea
- Take water (250 ml) in pan.
- Bring it to boil.
- Add all ingredients in this boiling water.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Filter and add honey or sugar.
- Drink hot.
Benefits of Bay leaves tea
- Helps in curing respiratory infections
- Drink this tea to get relief from cold, cough, catrrh, coryza
- Good for digestive system and heart
- Cures abdominal gas, pain, nausea