Triphala Churna or powder is an Ayurvedic medicine prepared by mixing three medicinal herbs viz. Amla, Haritaki and Baheda. In classical text, this preparation is praised for its Rasayana properties which cures innumerable diseases and gives youthfulness. It contains minerals, vitamins and several other nutrients that not only cures the diseases but also maintains good health. Triphala is mainly known for its bowel regulating and laxative properties. But it offers countless health benefits.
In Unani-Tibb medicine, Triphala is known as Itrifal (Haleela, Balela, Amla). It is used in preparation of many Unani medicines such as Itrifal Ustukhuddus (brain disorders), Itrifal Deedan (intestinal worms), Itrifal Kishneezi (Chronic Catarrh, constipation), Itrifal Shahtara (blood purifier, syphilis, skin diseases, impetigo, eczema, furunculoses), Itrifal Muqil (bleeding piles, constipation), Itrifal Mulayyan (Constipation), Itrifal Muqawwi Dimagh (improving brain functions and strengthening eyes) and Itrifal Zamani (constipation).
How to meke Triphala powder at home
Triphala powder can be easily prepared at home. For this purpose, you should buy the fruits of Terminalia chebula (Chebulic myrobalan/Haritaki), Terminalia bellirica (Beleric myrobalan/ Bibhitaka) and Emblica officinalis (Indian gooseberry/Amla) in dried form.
These three fruits are only ingredients of Triphala powder. The three fruits should be taken in equal amount. Deseed the fruits, and grind well. Sieve through a thin cloth (Kapadchan) and store in a glass bottle.
Triphala powder is very beneficial for overall heath. When used with honey, it gives energy, stamina, improves appetite and cure digestive problems. It can soaked in water and this can be used to wash wounds, cuts, piles or hairs. It can also use for washing eyes and gargling. Triphala is cures head aches and nourishes eyes. It strengthens nerves and tissues of eyes. Triphala eyewash cleanses the eyes and prevent the further growth of cataracts. This homemade simple preparation can be used as daily to strengthen vision, counteract many eye defects, and getting relief form redness and soreness of eyes.
Constituents of Triphala Powder
The three fruits of triphala
Amalaki/Amla (Emblica officinalis): Good for constipation, ulcers, gastritis, colitis, hepatitis and haemorrhoids. Antioxidant which lower cholesterol and heals damaged arteries. Cures diabetes, anemia, hair loss, premature hair greying and general weakness.
Balances: Pitta and Vata
Haritaka (Terminalia chebula): Tonic for the brain, nerve, and digestive system. Regulates colon and good for both constipation and diarrhea.
Balances: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha
Baheda/Bibhitaki (Terminalia Belerica): A powerful Rejuvenative. Good in curing the liver and heart disease. Improves voice, eyesight and hair growth.
The combination of three fruits or Triphala Churna balances: Vata, Pitta and kapha, Tridosh nashak Rasayana.
Chemical Constituents in Amlaki: Vitamin C, carotene, nicotinic acid, D-glucose, D-fructose, riboflavin, embicol, mucic and phyllemblic acids, Tannin, Procynidin, Ellagic acid, Carotene, Phyllantine, Riboflavin, Phyllembin, Polyphenols and some fatty acids.
Chemical Constituents in Haritaki: Anthra quinone glycoside, chebulinic acid, Vitamin C, arachidinic acid, linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, Tannin, etc.
Chemical Constituents in Bahera: Chebulagic acid, ellagic acid and its ethyl ester, gallic acid, fructose, galactose, glucose, mannitol, rhamnose, β -Sitosterol, Tannin, Bellericanin, etc.
You can find more about triphala ingredients in post medicinal uses of Triphala.
Triphala Churna Important Medicinal Properties
- Anti-viral: Effective against viruses.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Anti–fungal: Active against fungus.
- Anti–allergic: Prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antimicrobial: Active against microbes.
- Aperient: Used to relieve constipation.
- Alterative: Alter favorably the course of an ailment.
- Anti–obesity: Reducing or controlling obesity.
- Anti–inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Astringent: Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Cardio–tonic: Tonic for the heart.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels.
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Rejuvenative to the whole GIT
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Triphala Powder
Triphala is used in Ayurveda from time immemorial. This combination contains five tastes. It is cool in potency and madhur-vipak. It pacifies excess heat in the body. Triphala gives nourishment to the body and steadiness and supports the building of the body fluids.
- Rasa (taste): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), Amla (Sour)
- Virya (energy): Shita (Cold)
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Madhur (Sweet)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Dosha effect: Balances Vata, Pitaa and Kapha
- Dhatu (tissue): All tissues rejuvenated
- Srotas (channel): All channels cleansed, especially channels of elimination
- Pachana: Toxin digester
- Deepana: Appetiser
- Rasayana: Rejuvenative
- Anulomana: Mild laxative, redirects the flow downwards
- Netrarogaghna: Treats eye disorders
- Pramehaghna: Alleviates diabetes
Important Therapeutic Uses of Triphala
Use of Triphala shows a beneficial effect in variety of diseases including:
- All tridoshic diseases (Diseases due to vitiation of all three Dosha)
- All types of allergies, rhinitis, hay fever, sinusitis
- Abdominal gas and distension
- Chronic diarrhea
- Digestive disorders, low appetite, Chronic constipation (it may not be effective in some acute constipation)
- Eye diseases
- Excess salivation
- Gland disorders, anorexia, and abdominal disorders
- Laryngitis, cough, phlegm, congestion
- Sluggishness, constipation, bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain and indigestion
- To gently detoxify the body and rejuvenate the digestive system
- Urinary tract infections UTI
Why Triphala improves Health?
Triphala works on the whole body in a positive way due to its aperient, alterative, anti-inflammatory, carminative, expectorant, antioxidant, antimicrobial properties. It improves function of the liver, colon, lungs, eyes and metabolism. It helps in shedding extra kilos and lowering lipid and cholesterol level. It clears congestion and strengthen the lungs. It is an strong antioxidant.
- It is gentle laxative and reduces excess pitta.
- It detoxifies the body and remove impurities.
- It clears the excess doshas out of the body.
- It normalizes bowel movements and digestion.
- It rejuvenative to the whole gastrointestinal tract.
- It is carminative, good for the eyes and gives relief in diabetes, leprosy and in chronic fevers.
- It is rich in Mg, K, Ca, Fe, Se and Zn, which enhance their bioavailability.
- It improves hemoglobin level and helps in better absorption of iron due to vitamin c.
- It lowers cholesterol and weight.
- It has significant hypoglycemic activity.
- Triphala with antioxidant properties inhibits LDL glycation and oxidation and prevents diabetic and cardiovascular complications.
Medicinal uses of Triphala Churna
Triphala is boon for the digestive system. It keeps digestive tract healthy, improves the liver and gallbladder function. It draws toxins from the colon and promotes toning, rejuvenation, and the passage of stool. It is not a strong purgative but is a gentle and mild laxative. The best thing is that it is not habit forming. Triphala helps in ulcers, inflammations, hemorrhoids and piles.
Trifala strengthens lungs. It removes congestion and phlegm. Its intake gives relief in seasonal allergies such as watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, etc. Triphala removes toxins from blood and helps in various skin disorders such as eczema, boils, etc. It is great herbal mix for the eyes both internally and externally. It boosts immunity and hemoglobin level.
Triphala churna has various medicinal uses. Some of them are as follows.
1. Chronic constipation, constipation, cleansing the bowels
Use of Triphala churna/powder in piles is effective due to following Triphala cures constipation and softens stools
Triphala reduces venous congestion Triphala gives flexibility to blood vessel of anus and lower rectum and improves blood circulation Triphala is non-habit forming laxative, Tonic, antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties Triphala causes regular and complete the evacuation of the bowels.
Important Note: For treating piles, you should take 4 grams Triphala powder , twice a day for six months as this is a natural herbal methods, it will take time to cure it.
Triphala is very effective in treating jaundice. Take Triphala powder (20 gms) in one glass of water and boil it till it is reduced to one-fourth. Filter and drink, twice a day.
Take one teaspoonful of Triphala powder twice a day to cure anemia.
Triphala is excellent in treating digestive diseases. For curing acidity, 1/2 teaspoon of its powder should be taken 2-3 times a day.
Triphala reduces vata and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is a useful remedy for managing arthritis. Soak 10 g Triphala in 200 ml of water at night. Next morning, boil this till volume reduces to one-fourth. Add one teaspoon of honey and drink, twice a day.
6. Blood purification, removal of toxin, diabetes, skin diseases
Mix Triphala (3 g) and turmeric (3 g). Take this mixture with water for two months.
7. Improving eyesight and coughs
Take 3 g Triphala with one teaspoon of ghee.
8. Cold, cough, swelling in nose, reduced smelling, nasal congestion
For curing these diseases, 2-3 gms of trifala churna should be taken daily and its water should be used to wash nasal passage.
9. Reduced brain function, weak memory, Headache, irritability, hair loss
Trifala churna is good in curing brain and hair related problems. In such cases 2-5 grams of Triphala should be taken in day (or 1 gm thrice a day) with lukewarm water.
10. Weak gums, bleeding gums, nasal bleeding
Triphala contains Amla, which is excellent source of vitamin C. Therefore regular intake of this powder cures bleeding gum and other such diseases.
11. Antioxidants, rejuvenating tonic
Take one teaspoon of Triphala daily in morning.
12. Eczema, spots, boils and abscesses
Triphala powder should be taken at night before bed.
13. Urinary tract infections
Triphala powder with ghee and honey will clear toxins and help resolve infection.
Take ½ teaspoon Triphala in warm water.
15. Blood purifier, diabetes
Take Triphala 3 gram + turmeric 3 gram, with water for 60 days.
16. Premature hair greying
Take one teaspoon Triphala + two teaspoons of honey + half a teaspoon ghee, empty stomach in the morning.
External uses of Triphala Powder
1. Eyewash for inflamed eyes, early signs of cataract
Boil 1-2 tsp of Triphala in a cup of water for 3 minutes, cool it and strain through double or triple-folded cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter to clear all particles from the liquid. The eyes can then be washed.
Soak one teaspoon of Triphala powder in a cup of water, at night. This is squeezed and filtered the next morning and used as an excellent wash for the eyes.
2. Eczema, filariasis (Shleepad), scrotal swelling
Triphala churna can be used externally on eczema, filariasis (Shleepad), scrotal swelling. A paste of Triphala is prepared with Gau mutra and applied on the affected areas.
3. Excessive leucorrhoea
Take Triphala powder 20 – 25 grams) and boil in water (2 liters) for 15 minutes. Filter and use this water (hot) as vaginal douche.
4. Gingivitis and bleeding gums
Gargle with Triphala decoction.
Soak Triphala in water at night. Next morning wash hairs with this water.
6. Triphala powder is a great mouthwash if someone makes decoction and use it as mouthwash due to its antibacterial, antiseptic properties. There are many studies performed on Triphala as a mouthwash and found that it has same effects on mouth as Chlorhexidine mouthwash. Decoction of Triphala is also very good for curing constipation and diseases of the liver. It has hepatoprotective, cholagogue and laxative properties.
7. Triphala reduces obesity as it is a metabolic regulator.
Method to prepare Triphala Decoction Take 1 teaspoonful of triphala powder. At night, soak it in water (200 ml). Next morning, boil this water till volume reduces to half. Filter and add 5-10 ml honey and mix well. Drink this decoction hot and Repeat every morning for a few days.
How to take triphala and Dosage?
Triphala can be taken in a dose of 1-15 grams.
In low dose, 1-2 grams Triphala can be taken safely for years. This detoxifies the body, cleanses colon, and offers all the health benefits. Continuously take for 6 months than discontinue for one month and then start again.
In large dose, 5-10 grams it is taken for lesser time period.
Triphala is available in the form of extract, capsules, tablets and powder.
- Dabur Triphala Churna
- Dabur Triphala Tablets
- Baidyanath Triphala Churna
- Himalaya Triphala 60 Capsule
- Divya Patanjali Triphala Churna
- Maharishi Ayurveda Triphala Churna
- Zandu Triphala Churna
Triphala Churna Side effects
- Triphala is not known to have any side effects in long term use.
- Do not use in pregnancy. It will irritate the child, and the baby will become hyperactive.
- It may show diuretic effect in few people. They should avoid taking Triphala at night, as it may disturb sleep. They can take it in the morning.
- It may cause sleepiness.
- In some cases, it may trigger temporary gastrointestinal side effects such as gas, stomach upset, and diarrhea.