Siris or Albizia Lebbeck is a medicinal tree native to India which is found throughout country. In Ayurveda it is used to prepare various medicines. It is a non-toxic tree. This tree contains alkaloids, tannins, saponins and flavonoids which has medicinal action. It is a nitrogen fixing tree. In Ayurveda its use is specially indicated in treating bites and stings from poisonous animals such as snake.
Common Names of Shirish
- Latin: Albizia Lebbeck, Mimosa lebbeck
- Sanskrit: Siris tree, Shirish
- Hindi: Shirish, Saras
- English: Woman’s tongue, Tibet lebbeck, singer-tree, shack-shack, Lebbeck, Lebbek Tree, Flea Tree, Frywood, Koko
- Gujrati: Kakiyo, Saras, Sarsado
- Bengali: Shirish
- Kannada: Bage, Doddasirisa, Kalbaghi
- Malayalam: Nenmenivaka, Vaka
- Tamil: Siridam, Vagai
- Telugu: Dirsenmu, Dirasana, Pedda Dirisinam, Sirisamu
- Manipuri: Khok
Here are few remedies that can be done at home using Shirish to cure various ailments.
- Bites and stings from venomous animals, Sujak, infection in vagina, Swelling
If bitten by some poisonous insect, scorpion, snake then boil leaves of neem and Shirish in water. Use this water to wash place of sting.
- Infection due to external injury
Grind Shirish leaves and lukewarm the paste. Make a poultice and apply on affected area. This will give relief in swelling and infection.
- Blood purification, Skin problems
Soak bark of Shirish (10 gm) in water (200 ml) at night. Next morning mash bark in water, filter and drink this water to remove toxins from body.
Eye related problem
Grind Shirish leaves and with help of cloth tie on affected eye. Keep this for few minutes.
- Ear pain
Lukewarm Shirish leaves and extract its juice. Put few drops in ear.
Take yellow leaves of Siris and fry in ghee. Then mix with honey and take to cure coughing or Khasi.
- Dairrhoea (Atisaar), Dysentery (Dast)
Grind Shirish sedds and take half gram of it.
Grind seeds of Shirish and apply at affected area. This help to dry warts in piles.
- Ascites (Jalodar), Infection in liver, Pelvic pain during periods
Take bark of Shiris h(10 gm) and cook in water (200 ml) till volume reduces to one fourth. Strain and drink to cure ascites, liver related problems.
- Unmada rog (mania, psychiatric illness), Apasmar (Epilepsy or Mirgi)
Take mulethi, sonth (dry ginger powder), Vacha, Ashwagandha, Shirish seeds each in equal amount. Grind and make powder. Take this powder (1 tbsp) twice a day.
Frequent urination (Mutrakachh), Painful urination, Urinary tract infection
Take tender leaves of Shirish. Grind and mix honey and water. Drink this to cure urinary problems. This help to decrease pus cells in urinary infection.
Physical weakness, body pain
Take seeds of Shirish and Ashwagandha in 1:2 atio and mix with misri and take this powder twice a day to cure weakness.