Kalanchoe Pinnata or Patharchatta is a succulent perennial medicinal herb which is found almost throughout India. It is small plant which is also used for ornamental purpose in gardens. The plant can easily grow in pots. Patharchatta does not grow from seeds. It propagates from the leaves of the plant and a single leaf can produce 5-10 plants.
Patharchatta is used as a folk medicine in India, tropical Africa, tropical America, China, and Australia. The leaves are used both externally and internally. They have diuretic, wound healing, hepatoprotective, antimicrobial, antihypertensive and anti-inflammatory activities and are beneficial in urinary bladder and kidney stones, intestinal problem, ulcers, arthritis, inflammation, conjunctivitis, menstrual disorders, migraine, urethritis, wound, dysentery, ulcers, indigestion, etc.
- Plant Description: It is an erect, glabrous plant reaching up to 1 m high. The stem is obtusely 4 – angled. The lower and uppermost leaves are simple. The middle ones pinnately 3- to 5- foliolate. Flowers pendulous in lax panicles. Calyx cylindric, 4-lobed. Corolla yellow, constricted in the middle; lobes 4. Stamens 8, in 2 series. Carpels 4, almost free. Fruit 4 follicles, enclosed in the persistent papery calyx and corolla. It grows wild in shaded places and along water courses. It is usually cultivated for ornamental purpose.
- Part(s) used for medicinal purpose: Leaves
- Plant type / Growth Habit: Succulent herb
- Duration: Perennial
- Distribution: Throughout the warm and moist parts of India, especially abundant in West Bengal. Distributed in other temperate regions of Asia, Australia, New Zealand, West Indies, Macaronesia, Mascarenes, Galapagos, Melanesia, Polynesia and Hawaii.
- Habitat: Shady places, arid lowlands and moist uplands.
- Propagation and management: Vegetative propagation, by producing roots on leaf margin. The leaves fall on soil and produces roots and thus grow as weed.
Vernacular names / Synonyms
- Scientific name: Kalanchoe Pinnata
- Sanskrit name: Parn beej, hemsagar, Asthibhaksha, Parnabija, Parnabijah
- English: Air plant, Good luck leaf, Hawaiian air plant, Life plant, American Life Plant, Floppers
- Hindi: Patharchattam, Patharchur, Pather Chat, Paan-futti
- Bengali: Koppat, Patharkuchi, Gatrapuri, Kaphpata, Koppata, Pathorkuchi
- Kannada: Kaadubasale, Dadabadike, Patrajeeva
- Malayalam: Elachedi, Elamulachi, Ilamarunnu, Ilamulachi
- Telugu: Ranapala
- Tamil: Runa kalli
- Other Names: Cathedral Bells, Air Plant, Life Plant, Miracle Leaf, Goethe Plant, Wonder of the World, Mother of Thousands
- Unani: Zakhm-hayaat, Zakhm-e-Hayaat, Pattharchoor, Pattharchat.
- Siddha: Ranakkalli
- Chakma: Jeos, Jeus, Patharkuchi, Roah-Kapanghey
- Tripura: Jeos, Naproking, Pathorkuchi
The botanical name of Pattarchatta is Kalanchoe Pinnata. It belongs to plant family Crassulaceae. Below is given taxonomical classification of the plant.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Superdivision: Spermatophyta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Subclass: Rosidae
- Order: Rosales
- Family: Crassulaceae (Stonecrop family)
- Genus: Kalanchoe Adans. (widow’s-thrill)
- Species: Kalanchoe pinnata (Lam.) Pers.
- Bryophyllum pinnatum (Lam.) Oken
- Bryophyllum calycinum Salisb.
- Cotyledon pinnata Lam.
Constituents of Kalanchoe Pinnata
Kalanchoe Pinnata contains n-alkane, n-alkanol, alpha- and beta-amyrin and sitosterol.
Leaves contain Wax hydrocarbnons, wax alcohols, malic, isocitric and citric acids, glycosides of quercetin and kaempferol, fumaric acid, bryophyllin B and phenolic components.
Important Medicinal Properties
Kalanchoe Pinnata is rich in medicinal properties.
Below is given medicinal properties along with the meaning.
- Astringent: Causing the contraction of the skin cells and other body tissues and helps to stop bleeding.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Anti-aggregant: Decrease platelet aggregation and inhibit thrombus formation.
- Anti–dysenteric: Relieving or preventing dysentery.
- Anti–inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antiseptic: Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents.
- Antispasmodic: Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Cytotoxic: Tending to arrest or prevent cancer
- Diuretic: Promoting excretion of urine/agent that increases the amount of urine excreted.
- Disinfectant: Destroys bacteria.
- Emollient: Soothing and softening effect on the skin or an irritated internal surface.
- Hemostatic: Retarding or stopping the flow of blood within the blood vessels.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Styptic: capable of causing bleeding to stop when it is applied to a wound.
Medicinal uses of Patharchatta
Kalanchoe Pinnata is used to treat clinical conditions such as asthma, blood dysentery, boils, bronchial affections, cough, diabetes, gout, insect bites, jaundice, dysuria, epilepsy, gout, hoping cough, jaundice, nephrolithiasis, painful micturition, pneumonia, respiratory troubles, tuberculosis, ureterolithiasis, arthritis, inflammation, hypertension and kidney stones. It stimulates production of urine and hence helps in urinary stones. Due to astringent and hemostatic properties it is used in bleeding disorders and hemorrhage.
Stone problems, recurrent stones in the body
Leaves of this plant is very good for removing kidney stone and multiple small gall bladder stone. Chew leaves (2-3) or extract leaves juice and drink twice a day.
Arresting bleeding from wounds, cuts, ulcers
The juice or the bruised fresh leaves or the roasted leaves of Kalanchoe pinnata is taken.
Blood mixed diarrhea
Mix Patharchatta leaf juice (3 ml), jeera (3 g) and ghee (6 g) and take regularly for a few days.
Plant or leaf paste is applied externally.
Boils and Carbuncles
Paste of whole plant with cumin seeds are applied.
Blood in stools diarrhea and dysentery
Juice of leaves 2-5 ml + Ghee 4-10 ml + Jeera powder, is given.
Juice obtained from 4-5 leaves is mixed with one teaspoonful Mishri and one cup of warm water and taken orally.
Broken healing ulcers, abscesses, boils, tumors, cysts
The paste or poultice made of leaves of Kalanchoe pinnata (Zakhm-e – hayat) is applied.
Chronic wounds and ulcers
Thick coating of leaf paste is applied. When it turns black the coating is removed and new paste is applied.
Warm leaf juice taken twice a day with honey for 3-5 days.
Leaf juice + coconut oil is applied on scalp at night.
Discoloration caused by bruises, black eye, inflammation
Poultice of the roasted leaves or a paste of the fresh leaves or their juice is applied.
7-14 ml juice of leaves with honey thrice daily.
Juice extracted from equal amount of leaves of Kalanchoe pinnata + Jamun (Syzygium cuminii) and Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana Lamk.) is taken.
Ear pain, otorrhoea (Discharge from ear)
For ear discharge (‘Kaan ka behna’ in Hindi) and pain in ear, warm yellow leaves of Patharchatta and extract its juice. Put few drops in ear.
Leaf paste applied over forehead.
High blood pressure, scanty urine, Dysuria, Urinary problems
Regularly chew (2-3) leaves of Kalanchoe Pinnata twice day.
Leaf juice is taken twice a day.
Inflammation, joint pain in arthritis, wounds, sprain
Warm leaves of Patharchatta and apply at affected area with pain relieving oil.
Take fresh leaves juice of Kalanchoe Pinnata for the liver problems and Jaundice.
Kidney and bladder stones
- Leaf juice is taken internally for 2 weeks. Or
- Chew two fresh leaves along with black pepper on an empty stomach. Or
- Grind the leaves of the plant. Add turmeric and some jaggery. Take this preparation for 2 weeks.
Leucorrhoea (shevt pradar), cholera
Take Patharchatta leaves juice (2 tablespoon) twice a day.
Non healing wounds
Boil Patharchatta leaves in water and use this water to wash wounds. Alternatively you can use honey on wound is very helpful in the treatment of any kind of wounds even it can cure chronic wounds with support of other Ayurvedic medicines.
Pain in eye
2 drops of leaf juice is used as eye drop.
Piles and hemorrhoids
Mix leaf juice with black pepper powder and take regularly for a few days.
Poisoning due to bites of animals
Warm Patharchatta leaves are applied over the bitten parts.
2 spoonful of the leaf juice is taken orally.
Skin diseases, swellings due to bruises, bleeding from cuts and wounds
The paste of leaves is applied topically.
Smelly sweat, bad body odour
Eat one Patharchatta leaf daily.
To expel or remove spines and thorns from the body
Leaf juice mixed with salt is applied.
The leaf paste is applied topically to treat dermatophytosis.
The leaf juice is given.
Leaves / peeled leaf is applied.
Other uses: The plant is cultivated as ornamental houseplants.
The Dosage of Leaf
The leaf juice can be taken in a dose of 10-30 ml.
How to grow Patharchatta Plant?
Kalanchoe Pinnata is known as Parnabija, Patrajeeva and Elamulachi as the new plants grow from the leaf of the plant. You can easily grow this plant at home.
You just need to pluck a leaf from a Patharchatta plant and simply put it in wet soil or a dish with some water. In few days, the developing roots can be seen at leaf margins. After the roots, leaves appear and soon a new baby plant is ready which when planted can become independent plant. The plant prefers warm, sunny or shady places. The soil required should sandy and should not hold water.
My father is around 80 years old. He always complain about stomach ache and irregular bowe and also a tendency of it irregularly. He also have urinating problem. How can he consume this leaf to get benefit?
Is it good for menstrual irregularities
can this plant be used to treat fatty liver or other liver problems?
Can remove gallstones 14mmx13mm?For my large gallstone how many days I need to drink it?
No for gallstone only option is surgery
Is any Ayurveda medicine plant for treatment of prostate gland extended
My son has Vitiligo in age of 3.5 years. Can I used this plant for his treatment? If yes then plz tell how?
we are giving ayurveda medicine for vitiligo or leucoderma 100% result with in short period of time ..please contact 7760314648… Tradational we are giving past 60years…you can send Hi in WhatsApp using above number…we will send courier also with in India and Abroad also…..
Is it useful for getting rid of gallstones or gallstones bladder stones too?
क्या पित्त की पथरी में फायदा होगा
Nahi, Pitta ki pthari ka ek hi ilaj hota hai, operation.
It is called ‘ Amar Poi ‘ plant in Oriya.
In Assamese language it is called “Dupor tenga .”
I am taking juice of these leaves for last 4 days for treatment of my galbladder stone. But I found a different taste of saliva in my mouth all the time. Does this happen to other users also?
yes, it may happen
in cancer how to take this plant
does this plant have antiaging properties?
No, it has no antiaging properties.
May I know the name in Tamil,where it’s available in Tamilnadu…
marathi name of this plant ?
Is this plant called the crassulla plant or if there any other plant in the name of crassulla plant.please reply
crassulla plant is different
Can this be used for Cholestorol problems ? If so , what is the method and dosage ?
Very good info on this web site for this leaf. In Gujarat we call it Paththar Pan ( Stone Leaf) because it melts down the stone in the body. I am using this leaf since 1970. From 1978 I brought this leaf in US to help the people who have trust. As a added benefit to above it 100% cures Corn under the foot or hand. Very effective to cure kidney stone and bladder health. So many people in US has been benefitted using this leaf. Important thing is to take the plant inside the House in winter and it needs continuous attention against small bugs sticking to underside of leaf which will destroy it and whole plant. Care includes occasional showering the plant with warm water, little watering once a week and put diluted hand soap solution to the soil every two to three weeks.In hot weather the pot has to be put outside for fast growth.
where to get this plant in us?
I like this plant.
I came to know from my friends.
I had severe pain in the right kidney.
I used it and my pain had reduced. Still I have to continue using leaves.
He is helping many people by giving this leaves for their kidney stone problem.
He also has come out of his severe sufferings.
Such a great knowledge… i just want to make a medicine from patharchatta ..can u desribe how to make a medicine from patharchatta
Take fresh leaf juice 10~30 ml, there is no need to make medicine.
I am having kidney stones and i M pregnant. Can i consume ?
first just try to take it naturally in its real form and chew it. I am taking it and its really beneficial for any kind of pain, especially kidney and urinary pains.
Anyone cured from use of this plant , “particularly gallbladder stones”???
I am taking it and its really beneficial for any kind of pain, especially kidney and urinary pains and also galbladder .
What is the size of stone in your gallbladder.?
Nepali name of this plant ?
It is called patthar chatta in Nepali especially in eastern part of country. It is really beneficial for against pain as well as removal of stone. I suggest just eat 2-3 green leaves in empty stomach with a glass of water. No need to make juice, you can just chew it.
I also used it .
for decreased gallbladder stone it is used
In Sri Lanka this plant is known as Akkapana
I know about this plant by you .I like this It's very impressive, but I want to know the name of plant patriarchate in Oriya
Amar poi pattra.
Search in Google and see the image – Air Plant, Life Plant, Miracle Leaf, best luck plant.