Evening primrose (Oenothera biennis) is an annual medicinal plant native to North America. Traditionally evening primrose plant is used to treat swelling and wounds by externally applying whole plant. Tea prepared from its seeds is used to treat indigestion. The seeds of this plant are processed to get evening primrose oil.
Evening primrose oil (EPO) is used to treat various clinical conditions such as cardiac problem, cholesterol, skin problems, rheumatoid arthritis, PMS, breast pain etc.
This oil offers various health benefits and some of them are given below.
- EPO is good for heart. It helps to lower blood pressure.
EPO helps to lower cholesterol level. A study has shown daily intake of 4 gm of evening primrose oil for three months significantly decreases cholesterol.
- EPO is source of Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA) which is an essential fatty acid. Essential fatty acids are not produced inside body but are obtained from diet.
- EPO helps to reduce swelling and joint pain in rheumatoid arthritis.
- EPO helps to treat various skin diseases such as redness, eczema, itching, swelling dermatitis etc.
- EPO gives relief in premenstrual syndrome. If this oil is taken for few months then it definitely gives relief in PMS.
- EPO gives relief in diabetic neuropathy which is numbness, tingling and burning sensation in hand and feet.
- EPO is also used by women trying to conceive as it is believed this oil helps to produce and maintain fertile mucus. It is also taken in supplement form by women to prevent high blood pressure, post term delivery and shortening labour.
Dosage of evening primrose oil
Evening primrose oil can be taken 2 to 8 gram daily with no side effect. Like any herbal medicine this also takes time to show results.