Kushmanda Rasayanam is poly-herbal Ayurvedic formulation useful in treating various diseases. It is semi solid, malleable, sticky preparation, dark brown in colour with spicy odor and pungent, sweet taste. The main ingredient in this formulation is white gourd. White Gourd or white pumpkin is known as Kushmanda in Sanskrit. Kushmanda contains amino acids, mucins, mineral salts, starch, calcium, vitamin B and C. It offers several health benefits. The other ingredients are pippali, maricha, dhania, tejpatta, elaichi, ghee, honey etc.
Kushmanda Rasayan is also known as Kushmand Khanda.
Ingredients of Kushmanda Rasayana
It is a semisolid avaleha preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below.
- Kushmanda Benincasa hispida Fresh Fr. 4.8 kg
- Ghrita Clarified butter from cow’s milk 768 g Khanda Sugar candy 4.8 kg
- Pippali Piper longum Fr. 96 g
- Shringavera (shunthi) Zingiber officinale Rz. 96 g
- Jiraka (shveta jiraka) Cuminum cyminum Fr. 96 g
- Tvak Cinnamomum zeylanicum St. Bk. 24 g
- Ela (Suksmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 24 g
- Patra (Tejaptra) Cinnamomum tamala Lf. 24 g
- Maricha Piper nigrum Fr. 24 g
- Dhanya (Dhanyaka) Coriandrum sativum Fr. 24 g
- Kshaudra (Madhu) Honey 384 g
- Jala Water
Method of preparation
Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
Wash, dry, powder the ingredients number 4 to 11 (Prakshepa) separately and pass throughsieve number 85.
Take fresh mature fruit of Kushmanda, remove skin and seeds and cut in to small pieces of
2.5 to 5 cm. Add double the quantity of water. Heat till Kushmanda pieces become soft to make pishti maintaining temperature between 900 to 1000. Strain the liquid through muslin cloth.
Keep the strained liquid separately and crush the boiled pieces of Kushmanda in an end runner mill to make a fine paste, fry in Ghrita with constant stirring maintaining temperature between 800 to 900 till the mixture turns brown. Take due care to avoid over roasting or under roasting of pishti
Add sugar to the strained liquid and heat to make “two-thread sugar syrup”.
Add the fried paste of Kushmanda to the syrup, heat with constant stirring maintaining temperature between 900to 1000 and observe the mixture for formation of soft bolus, which does not disperse in water. Stop heating and allow to cool to 500.
Add fine powders of ingredients (prakshepa) numbered 4 to 11. Mix thoroughly to prepare a homogeneous blend, allow to cool it to room temperature and add Madhu.
Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
Benefits of Kushmanda Rasayana
- It is a rejuvenating tonic.
- It is cool in potency and helps in bleeding disorders, excess pitta and ailments due to excess heat in the body.
- It is very nutritious.
- It improves body immunity.
- It gives relief in respiratory ailments.
- It cures internal dryness.
- It improves weight, luster, and digestion.
- It gives relief from constipation.
- It gives strength to brain, nerves, eyes, rectum and other body organs.
- It balances Pitta.
- It is a good medicine for bleeding disorders or raktpitta.
Uses of Kushmanda Rasayana
- Kasa (Cough), Svasa (Dyspnoea), Sinusitis, Chronic fever
- Chest wound, chronic respiratory
- Raktapitta (bleeding disorder)
- Chardi (Emesis), Thirst
- Shukra kshay (deficiency of semen)
- Daurbalya (weakness)
- Emaciation (extreme weight loss and thinness due to a loss of subcutaneous fat)
- Svarabheda (hoarseness of voice)
- Pthisis (pulmonary tuberculosis or a similar progressive wasting disease)
Dosage of Kushmanda Rasayana
20 g daily in divided doses or as directed by physician.
The Anupan (fluid vehicle or drink with medicine) for this medicine is water or milk.
Please note, the exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Sri Sri Ayurveda (Kushmandaka Rasayana), AVP (Koosmanda Rasayanam), Khandige (Kusmandaka Rasayana), Oushasasala (Kushmansaresayanam), Nirogam (Kusmandaka Rasayana), and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.