Kanchnar guggul is polyherbal Ayurvedic formulation. It is one of the best Ayurvedic medicine for treating thyroid disorders, glandular swelling, lymph nodes swellings, uterine polyp and other abnormal growths in body.
The principle ingredients of this medicine are Kachnaar and Guggul.
In Ayurveda, the bark of Kachnaar is described as alterative, tonic, astringent and useful in scrofula, skin diseases and ulcers. The bark of the is specially recommended for scrofulous enlargement of the glands of the neck.
Guggul or Guggulu is obtained from a tree and it is used in preparation of many Ayurvedic medicines. It is hot in potency and balances vata, pitta and kapha. Guggul works on all systems of body. It has tonic, alterative, antiseptic, pain relieving, spasm relieving, expectorant and nervine properties. It is specially recommended in diseases which require cleansing, detoxification, swelling reducing, pain reliving, and regeneration action because of its anti-inflammatory, strong purifying and rejuvenating properties.
Here is given more about Kanchanar Guggulu/ Kanchnar Guggul (Referenced from Sharangadhar Samhita) such as indication/therapeutic uses, ingredients and dosage.
Benefits of Kanchanara Guggulu
- Best Ayurvedic medicine for reducing glandular swelling.
- Excellent for treating thyroid conditions.
- Useful as helps to dissolve fluid and growths of glands.
- Helps to reduce weight, Kapha and cholesterol levels.
- Diseases in which Kanchnar Guggulu is prescribed
- Kanchnaar guggulu is given in treatment of thyroid diseases, glandular enlargements and kapha accumulations in the tissues. It breaks down the deep-seated kapha and supports proper function of the lymphatic system and promotes elimination of toxins.
- It destroys Ama or toxins and adhesions. Kanchannar guggulu shows beneficial effect in tumours and growth. It heals ulcers. It is useful in treatment of anal fistula, menstrual disorders associated with kapha, rakta-piita (internal bleeding).
- Kanchanar guggulu is mainly given to treat Gulma (Abdominal lump), gandamala (Cervical lymphadenitis), Apachi (Chronic lymphadenopathy/ scrofula), Granthi (Cyst), Vrana (Ulcer), Kushtha (Diseases of skin), Bhagandara (Fistula-in-ano), and shleepad (Filariasis).
- Gulma (abdominal lump)
- Gandamala (cervical lymphadenitis)
- Apaci (chroniclymphadenopathy/scrofula)
- Granthi (cyst)
- Vrana (ulcer)
- Kushtha (diseases of skin)
- Bhagandara (fistula-in-ano)
- Shlipada (filariasis)
Composition of Kanchnar Guggulu
Following is given complete list of ingredients used to make this medicine.
- Kanchanara कांचनार Bauhinia variegata St. Bk. 480 g
- Haritaki हरीतकी Terminalia chebula P. 96 g
- Bibhitaka विभितकी Terminalia bellerica P. 96 g
- Amla अमलकी Phyllanthus emblica P. 96 g
- Shunthi सोंठ Zingiber officinale Rz. 48 g
- Maricha काली मिर्च Piper nigrum Fr. 48 g
- Pippali पिप्पली Piper longum Fr. 48 g
- Varuna वरुण Cratmiva nurvala St. Bk. 48 g
- Ela इलाइची (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 12 g
- Tvak दालचीनी Cinnamomum zeylanicum St. Bk. 12 g
- Patra तेजपत्ता (TejaPatra तेजपत्ता) Cinnamomum tamala Lf. 12 g
- Guggulu Shuddha Commiphora wightii O.R. 996 g
Lf.=Leaf; P.=Pericarp; Rt.=Root; Fr.=Fruit; Rz.=Rhizome; Sd.= Seeds; St.=Stem; St. Bk.= Stem Bark; Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud; O.R= Ole resin.
Method of preparation
Take all the ingredients of the pharmacopoeial quality. Wash, dry and powder the ingredients number 1 to 11 of the formulation composition separately and pass through sieve number 85, weigh them separately in the required quantities and mix.
Crush weighed quantity of Guggulu – Shuddha, add fine powder of other mixed ingredients to it and pound well. Add Ghrita to an extent required to facilitate the pounding and continue pounding till a semi-solid uniformly mixed mass of suitable plasticity is obtained.
Expel the mass through Vati machine fitted with a suitable die and cut the Vatis to a desired weight. Roll the Vatis on flat surface to round them by circular motion of palm covered with a glove and smeared with Ghrita or use suitable mechanical device. Dry the rounded Vatis in a tray-dryer at a temperature not exceeding 600 for 10 to 12 h. Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Description: Spherical pills, black or brownish-black in colour, agreeable distinct odour and bitter taste.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed container, protect from light and moisture.
Ayurvedic properties and action
- Rasa (Taste): Tikta/Bitter, Katu (pungent) kashaya/Astringent, Sweet
- Guna (Characteristics): Laghu/Light, Dry
- Virya (Potency): Ushna/Hot
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Katu/Pungent
- Effects on Tridoshas (Humor): Pacifies all the three doshas. Decreases Kapha.
Dose of Kanchanar Guggulu/ Kanchnar Guggul
Kanchanara Guggulu, is recommended in a dose of one tablet, twice daily. The dose can be increased according to the severity of the disease. The ideal dose is four tablets, three times a day, followed by milk or water.
This product is only for person above 12 years of age. NOT to be used in pregnancy.
Where to buy Kanchnar Guggulu
You can buy this medicine from medical stores or online.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur (Kanchnar Guggulu), Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan (Kanchanar Guggulu), Zandu (Kanchnar Guggul Gutika), Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Divya Kanchnar Guggul), Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited (Kanchanar Guggul), Nirogam (Kanchnar Guggulu), Sri Sri Ayurveda (Kanchanara Guggulu), Planet Ayurveda (Kanchnaar Guggul) and some other pharmacies. You can buy it from medical store or online.