Custard apples are sweet tasty fruit. These heart shaped green fruits contains appreciable amount of vitamin C. Eating one custard apple fulfils the daily allowance of vitamin C. This vitamin is an anti-oxidant that protects body against free radicle damage. Vitamins C also strengthen body immunity to fight recurrent infections. Custard apple fruit contains many seeds that are imbedded in fruit flesh and due to this only 50-60 percent of fruit is edible.
Eating hundred grams of custard apple gives body about ten percent of daily required magnesium. Magnesium is good for heart. It relaxes muscles and gives protection against heart diseases.
English: Custard apple, sugar apple
Hindi: Sitaphal, Sharifa
Malayalam: aathappazham, seethe pazham
Telugu: seetha phalam
Custard apple food value
Below is composition of 100 grams of edible pulp of custard apple.
- Custard apple are good source of calcium, iron, phosphorus, thiamine, riboflavin and vitamin C. It has rejuvenative and anti-oxidant properties.
- This fruit is particularly beneficial for people with excess pitta or having Pitta prakriti.
- Eating custard apple during pregnancy gives energy, minerals and vitamins. Due to its richness in vitamin C it strengthens body immunity.
- Custard apple should be taken regularly by heart patients. It strengthens heart and gives relief in palpitation, high blood pressure and anxiety.
- Custard apple should be taken by people who suffer from insatiable hunger (Bhasmak rog).