Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- 2 Method of Preparation
- 3 Know the Ingredients
- 4 Benefits of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- 5 Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- 6 Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- 7 Biomedical Action
- 8 Important Therapeutic Uses of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- 9 The Dosage of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- 10 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- 11 Pharmacies Making Gokshuradi Guggulu
Gokshuradi Guggulu is an Ayurvedic medicine useful in the management of diabetes, urinary problems, painful urination, gout, renal stones and other ailments. It supports proper functioning of the genitourinary tract. It strengthens and tones the kidneys, bladder and urethra and reproductive organs.
As the medicine contains Gokhru (Puncture vine), Guggulu along with other herbal ingredients and hence it is called Gokshuradi Guggulu.
When the urine is obstructed by stone in the urinary tract, administration of this medicine gives relief.
Gokshuradi Guggulu contains Gokshuru, Guggulu, Triphala, Trikatu and Musta. This medicine has significant diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties and indicated in the treatment of urinary problems.
Gokhru is main herb of Ayurveda for treating urinary problems due to its diuretic, demulcent, anti-inflammatory and oxalate decreasing properties. It is the best herb for genitourinary conditions including difficult or painful urination, stones, bloody or burning urine. It flushes body toxins.
Here is given more about Gokshuradi Guggulu such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Classical Medicine manufactured by many pharmacies.
- Reference Text: Sharangdhar Samhita
- Synonyms: Gokshuradi Gulgulu, Gokshuradi Guggul tablets
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine, Guggulu Kalp
- Main Indication: Genito-urinary disorders, diabetes, urine retention, stones
- Suitable for: Unisex above the age of 12
- Dosha Effect: Pacifies Vata
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscle, fat, bone, nerve, reproductive
- Srotas (channel): Urinary, water
Ingredients of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Gokshura (Fr.) 1.344 kg
- Water for decoction 8.0641 l reduced to 4.0321 l
- Pura (Guggulu)-Shuddha (O.R.) 336 g
- Shunthi (Rz.) 48 g
- Maricha (Fr.) 48 g
- Pippali (Fr.) 48 g
- Haritaki (P.) 48 g
- Bibhitaka (P.) 48 g
- Amalaki (P.) 48 g
- Musta (Musta) (Rz.) 48 g
Method of Preparation
- Decoction / Kashaya of Gokshura is prepared.
- Guggulu is added to the filtered Kashaya Which is boiled again to rasakriy Paka.
- Fine powder of remaining drugs is added and mixed well.
Know the Ingredients
This medicine is Guggulu Kalp of Ayurveda and contains main effective ingredient Guggul, an exudate (Niryasa) obtained from the plant Commiphora mukul.
1- Guggulu / Guggul is gum resin of a tree Commiphora mukul, found in arid- subtropical to tropical climate. Guggulu is highly effective in the treatment of Vata-vikar and inflammatory conditions. The gum resin contains guggul sterons Z and E, guggul sterols I-V, two diterpenoids- a terpene hydrocarbon named cembreneA and a diterpene alcohol- mukulol, a-camphrone and cembrene, long chain aliphatic tetrols- octadecan-1,2,3,4-tetrol, eicosan-1,2,3,4-tetrol and nonadecan-1,2,3,4-tetrol. Major components from essential oil of gum resin are myrcene and dimyrcene.
The gum resin is bitter, acrid, astringent, thermogenic, aromatic, expectorant, digestive, anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory, anodyne, antiseptic, demulcent, carminative, emmenagogue, haematinic, diuretic, rejuvenating and general tonic. It is effective in reducing synthesis of cholesterol in the liver. It reduces serum triglycerides, LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases HDL. It can reduce 14-27 percent blood cholesterol and triglycerides by 22-30 percent. Guggulu increases metabolism of LDL.
Guggulu is used in Ayurveda for the treatment of arthritis, rheumatism, gout, lumbago, disorders of the nervous, respiratory, digestive and circulatory systems.
It has anti-inflammatory with strong purifying and rejuvenating properties.
2- Gokhru, Gokhura, Gokshuru, Gochurak, Trikantaka (Sanskrit), Caltrops, Puncture vine (English), Nerunchi Mul (Siddha) all are synonyms of Tribulus terrestris (Fam. Zygophyllaceae).
Gokhru has the following Ayurvedic Properties and actions:
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Madhura (Sweet)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Guru (Heavy), Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
It is aphrodisiac, strength promoter and alleviator of Vayu. It cures mutrakrcchra (dysuria). It is the main herb for impotence caused by low or poor sperm count.
Gokhru is cooling, diuretic, tonic, and aphrodisiac. It improves muscle building, stamina and endurance. It has stimulative effect on the sexual system, increases libido and fertility and makes strong and healthy.
3- Triphala (Amla + Harad + Baheda) is used extensively in Ayurveda for the treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for the whole body. It is being used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. Amla, has significant acid lowering, cooling and anti-ulcer properties. Triphala is a rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development.
4- Trikatu is a combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper. It is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
5- Motha is widely used in Ayurveda for the treatment of various diseases. This plant is also known as Purple nutsedge or nutgrass (English), Motha (Hindi) or Musta (Sanskrit). It is especially used as a cure for gastrointestinal and joint ailments. It has anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, antidiarrheal, antipyretic, and analgesic activities. It is appetizer (deepan), digestive stimulant (pachan), anthelmintic (krimighna), diuretic (mutra virecaniya), scarifying/reducer of corpulence (lekhanya), purifier of plasma (rasa pachaniya), antisaturative (triptighna), antipruriginous (kandughna), galactopurificator (stanyashodana) and thirst restraining trishnagrahana).
Benefits of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- This medicine is indicated in the treatment of many diseases. It works on ureters, urinary bladder and reproductive organs.
- It is given for treating urinary problems such as Prameha, Mutrakrichcha, Scanty urination, Painful urination.
- It is also recommended in stones due to its oxalate reducing properties.
- It is an excellent medicine to treat mutrakrichra (Dysuria, difficulty passing urine) and mutra-ghata (urinary retention syndromes). Urinary retention is inability to empty the bladder completely. In this condition person is unable to empty the bladder despite full bladder. Person has urge to urinate but unable to do the same. This causes urine retention inside the body, abdominal swelling, pain, dizziness, etc.
- This medicine is also beneficial in Amavata (rheumatism), Prameha, Vata rakta, Vata vyadhis, Spermatorrhoea, Gonorrhoea, Leucorrhoea and Shukradosha (semen problems).
- It is tonic for kidneys, urinary tract, reproductive organs and prostrate.
- It reduces Ama and Kapha.
- It balances Vata-Pitta-Kapha.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Neutral
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Neutral
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Ashmarighna: Eliminates gravel and stones.
- Lekhana: Drugs which dry up the body constituents and body secretions. Decrease Kapha and fat and emaciate the whole body.
- Medoghna: Reduces weight/obesity.
- Mehoghna: Controls blood sugar level.
- Mutral: Diuretics, increase the flow of urine
- Mutravirechana: Increase the flow of urine.
- Rakta shodhana: Blood purifier.
- Shothhar: Reduces swelling.
- Shukra shodhana: Purify the sperms.
- Tridoshahara: Reduces all three Dosha.
- Vasti Shodhan: Cleanses the urinary system
- Vrishya: Increases the quantity of semen.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Diuretic: Promoting excretion of urine/agent that increases the amount of urine excreted.
- Depurative: Purifying agent.
- Lithagogue: Causes dislodgment or expulsion of calculi.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Albuminuria (albumin in the urine)
- Ashmari (Calculus)
- Cloudy urine
- Cystitis (inflammation of the urinary bladder.)
- Diabetes Mellitus
- excessive or obstructed urination with high vata–pitta
- Incontinence with burning
- Mutraghata (Urinary obstruction)
- Mutrakracchra (Dysuria)
- Nephritis (inflammation of the kidneys)
- Prameha (Urinary disorders)
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) enlarged prostate gland
- Male sexual dysfunction (Spermatorrhoea, Premature ejaculation, nocturnal emissions)
- Pradara (Excessive vaginal discharge, Menorrhagia, Metrorrhagia, leucorrhoea, endometriosis, infertility)
- Prameha (chronic urinary disorders; ‘pra’ means excess and ‘meha’ means to pass urine so ‘prameha’ means disease in which excess urine is passed)
- Prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland.)
- Shukra Dosha (Vitiation of semen)
- Vatarakta (Gout)
- Vataroga (Disease due to Vata dosha)
- Osteoarthritis, gout, lumbago
- Painful joints without stiffness
- Lower back problems, lumbago
The Dosage of Gokshuradi Guggulu
- The recommended dosage of Gokshuradi Guggulu is 1/2 grams to 1 gram, three times a day.
- The adjuvant / anupaan (fluid vehicle or drink with medicine) for medicine is Musta Kvatha, Pashanabheda Kvatha, Ushira Kvatha depending on disease to be treated.
- Gokshuradi guggulu (2 tabs), Chandraprabha Vati (2 tabs), Punarnava Churna (3gram), Hazrool Yahood Bhasma (250mg) and Kshara Parpati (250mg) in kidney stones.
- Gokshuradi guggulu (1 tab), Chandraprabha Vati (1 tab) is taken with Dashmularishta for UTIs.
- Gokshuradi guggulu is taken with Shilajit for sexual problems of males.
- Gokshuradi guggulu is taken with Punarnavadi guggulu in bladder and kidney stones.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- The medicine should be kept in glass or porcelain jars free from moisture and stored in a cool place. The potency of medicine is maintained for two years.
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- This medicine is safe to take for a longer duration.
- Do not take this medicine during pregnancy.
- The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- Always take in recommended doses.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- It increases urination.
Pharmacies Making Gokshuradi Guggulu
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Baidyanath Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Dabur Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited SDL Gokshuradi Guggul
- Sri Sri Ayurveda Gokshuradi Guggulu Tablet 500mg
- Patanjali Divya Pharmacy Gokshuradi Guggul
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.