Table of Contents
Gandhak Rasayan is a Sulphur based Ayurvedic preparation. It is prepared by processing purified Sulphur in herbal ingredients. Sulphur/Sulfur is known as ‘Gandhak’ in Sanskrit and Hindi due to its strong peculiar rotten-egg like smell. It is a non-metallic element found in nature. There are four varieties of Sulphur viz. red, yellow, white and black. Of these the red and black are not available now. Yellow variety is used for internal use and white is used for topical application.
In Ayurveda, purified Sulphur is used in treatment of variety of diseases. Its internal use in small dosage, it has stimulant action on secreting organs such as skin, mucous membrane and hemorrhoids. It has diuretic and laxative action. It increases bile and is useful in skin diseases, rheumatism, consumption, enlarged spleen etc. In combination with mercury it is used in almost every diseases. Sulphur is used both internally and externally for treatment of diseases of skin.
Gandhak Rasayan is prepared by triturating Sulphur in herbal ingredients. First trituration of Suddha gandhaka (purified sulphur) is done with Godugdha (Cow milk) followed by the trituration with Chaturjata decoction (Dalchini, Ela, Tejpatra and Nagkeshara), Giloy juice swarasa, Triphala (Amla, harad, baheda) decoction, Sunthi decoction, Bhringaraja swarasa and Ardraka swarasa, for 8 times each.
The processing of Gandhak in herbal juices and decoctions gives it additional therapeutic properties and makes Sulphur more absorbable.
Study show Gandhak Rasayan contains carbohydrates, steroids, tannins and essential micronutrients. Carbohydrates act as anti-diarrheal and plays important role in wound healing. Tannins are astringent, cardiotonic and useful in skin eruptions boils and diarrhea. Steroids regulate carbohydrate and protein metabolism and possess strong anti-inflammatory action. They also influence the electrolyte and water balance of the body.
Gandhaka Rasayana is used in the treatment all types of kusthas (skin diseases), nadivrana (sinuses) and kosthagata roga (Gastro-intestinal disorders).
Gandhak Rasayan has following properties
- Antidiarrhoeal: Counteracting diarrhea.
- Antimicrobial: active against microbes.
- Antibacterial: active against bacteria.
- Antifungal: active against fungus.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Wound healing
- Pain relieving
- Blood purifying: purify the blood and treat diseases;removes toxins and wastes from the body which are accumulated over the the time due to pollution, chemicals, food etc.
- Here is given more about Gandhaka Rasayana medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Gandhak Rasayan
The main ingredient is Shuddha Gandhak.
Shuddha Gandhak is purified suphur. This is processed in Chaturjaat decoction, Giloy juice swarasa, Triphala (Amla, harad, baheda) decoction, Sunthi decoction, Bhringaraja juice and Ardraka swarasa/ginger juice.
Preparation of Gandhaka Rasayana
Shuddha Gandhaka or purified Sulphur is subjected to 8 bhavanas (trituration) of cow’s milk, followed by 8 bhavanas of each Chaturjaat kwath/decoction (Cinnamomum zeylanicum, Elettaria cardamomum, Mesua ferrea, Cinnamomum tamala decoction), Guduchi swarasa (Tinospora cordifolia juice), Haritaki kwath (Terminalia chebula decoction), Bibhitaki kwath (Terminalia belerica decoction), Amalaki swarasa (Emblica officinalis juice) Shunti kwath (dry Zingiber officinale decoction), Bringaraj swarasa (Eclipta alba juice) and Ardraka swarasa (Zingiber officinale juice).
Total of 72 bhavanas are given to Shuddha Gandhaka. After 8 bhavanas of each drava dravya (specified liquid) the bhavita Gandhaka is dried completely before starting the next bhavana. After completion of bhavana the product was mixed with equal quantity of powdered sugar.
Benefits of Gandhak Rasayan
- It has wide range of therapeutic properties.
- It is a good Ayurvedic medicine for bacterial and fungal infections.
- It is a Rasayana/Rejuvenator.
- It removes toxins from blood.
- It shows beneficial effect in chronic skin diseases.
- It gives strength, nourishment and improves digestion.
- It gives relief in pain.
- It improves complexion.
- It has wound healing properties.
Uses of Gandhak Rasayana
Gandhak Rasayana is called Rasayana which means rejuvenator. Rasayana are those drugs which promotes good health and vigor, slows aging and gives longevity. Rasayana increases body immunity.
It is extensively used to treat skin diseases of bacterial and fungal origin.
All types of skin diseases like pustules in skin, fungal infections, dandruff, ringworm, scabies, abscesses, kandu, kushtha, leprosy/mahakusta/kustaroga, itching, pama, eczema, urticaria, boils, pimples
- Upadansha or venereal diseases
- Nadi vrana or pilonidal sinus (pilonidal cyst/ pilonidal abscess/sacrococcygeal fistula, is a cyst or abscess near or on the natal cleft of the buttocks)
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Vatarakta or gouty arthritis, sinusitis
- Chronic fever
- Detoxifying blood
- Other disease that occur due to blood impurity and diseases in which inflammation and pus formation occur.
Dosage of Gandhak Rasayana
The dose of Gandhak Rasayan varies depending on diseases as well condition of patient. It is given 500mg-1g, in morning and evening with water/milk/Khadiradiristha/Manjisthadi kwath etc. for one month or more.
Initially it is not given in higher dose. The dose is increased from low to high.
This medicine is available in form of Guti/Vati/Tablets from various Ayurvedic Pharmacies like Baidyanath (Gandhak Rasayan), Dabur (Gandhak Rasayan), Zandu (Gandhak Rasayan) and Shri Dhootapapeshwar Limited (Gandhak Rasayan Guti).