Table of Contents
Dhanwantharam Gulika is an herbal ayurvedic medicine used to treat diseases that occur due to vitiation of Vata and Kapha. It gives relief in bloating, flatulence, hiccups, arthritis, inflammation and sprain due to Vata pacifying properties. As it balances Kapha dosh, it treats asthma, cough, and cold. This medicine is also used in post-natal care.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
Reference Text: Sahasrayogam (book on Keraliya tradition of Ayurvedic treatment), Gutika Prakrana
Ingredients of Dhanwantharam Gulika
- Ela (Sukshmaila) (Sd.) 1 Part
- Vishva (Shunthi) (Rz.) 1 Part
- Abhaya (Haritaki) (P.) 1 Part
- Jati (Jatiphala) (Sd.) 1 Part
- Brihati (Pl.) 1 Part
- Arya (Chandrika) (Sd.) 1 Part
- Jiraka (Shveta jiraka) (Fr.) 1 Part
- Cinoshana (Kankola) (Sd.) 1 Part
- Bhunimba (Kiratatikta) (Pl.) 1 Part
- Rudraksha (Sd.) 1 Part
- Suradaru (Devadaru) (Ht.Wd.) 1 Part
- Karpura (Sub.Ext.) 1 Part
- Karigutha 1 Part
- Mrigaretasa 1 Part
- Jiraka kvatha (Shveta jiraka) (Fr.) Q.S. for bhavana
- Himambhasa (Shatapatrika) (Fl.) Q.S. for bhavana
Method of Preparation
Ingredients 1 to 11 are ground well in Jiraka Kvatha. When it is ready for making pills, ingredients 12 and 13 are added along with sufficient quantity of rose water (ingredient 16) till it is ready to make pills.
Description of Ingredients
1. Ela / Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is cool in potency. It is Tridosh-har, digestive, carminative, nutritive, laxative, and expectorant. It has diuretic action and gives relief in urinary disorders. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
2. Shunthi, Nagara, Mahaushadha, Vishva, Vishvabheshaja, Shringabera, Katubhadra, Ardrika, Ardraka are few Sanskrit synonyms of ginger. The dried ginger is known as Sonth in Hindi, Zanjabeel in Unani and Chukku in Siddha. It is warming, emollient, appetizer, laxative, stomachic, stimulant, rubefacient, anodyne, aphrodisiac, expectorant, anthelmintic and carminative.
It is hot in potency and is effective in both digestive and respiratory ailments.
3. Shunthi is prescribed for low appetite, coryza, cough, cold, fever, bronchial asthma, diarrhea, dyspepsia, diseases of pharynx, inflammations, oedema, fainting and urticaria. As it is Vatahara (carminative) it is given in flatulence, bloating, inflammations and rheumatoid arthritis. The Kapha pacifying (phlegm) property makes it suitable for cough, cold, fever due to phlegm and congestion. Due to its pitta increasing properties, it improves appetite and digestion. It is Amadoshhar and helps to detoxify body.
Ayurvedic Properties of Shunthi
- Rasa – Katu (Pungent)
- Guna – Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Oily)
- Veerya – Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka – Madhura (Sweet)
Doshaghnata – Vatakaphashamaka (Pacifies Vata and Kapha)
4. Haritaki / Chebulic myrobalan / Terminalia chebula, consists of the pericarp of mature fruits of Terminalia chebula Retz. (Fam. Combretaceae), a moderate sized or large tree found throughout India, chiefly in deciduous forests and areas of light rainfall.
Its synonym in Sanskrit are Abhaya, Kayastha, Shiva, Pathya and Vijaya. The main constituent of Haritaki is Tannins, anthraquinones and polyphenolic compounds.
It is a tonic drug and is good for digestive system. The main therapeutic use of Haritaki is digestive and respiratory ailments. It has all taste except salty (rasa), light (Laghu), rough or dry (ruksa) in properties (Guna), hot (Ushna) is potency (Virya) and pungent (Katu) Vipaka. It balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha. It works on all body tissues. It is a tonic with anti-inflammatory, laxative, astringent, diuretic, carminative, and anthelmintic properties. Haritaki treats intestinal parasites, constipation, diarrhea, gas, cough and diseases of eyes.
5. Jaiphal, Jatiphala, Jatiphalam, Jatikosha, Jatipatri, Jatipatra, Jatishasya are Sanskrit names of Nutmeg. Its Latin name is Myristica officinalis. It is pungent, bitter in taste (Ras) and light in action (Guna). Its post-digestive effect (Vipak) is pungent. It is an Ushna Virya herb. Ushna Virya or hot potency herb, subdues Vata (Wind) and Kapha (Mucus) and increases Pitta (Bile). It has property of digestion, vomiting and purging, and gives feeling of lightness. Jatiphal is used in Ayurveda for Atisara, shvasa, Chardi, Kasa, Pinasa, Grahani, Mukharoga and shukrameha.
6. Shveta-jiraka, Ajaaji, Shukla-ajaji ar names of White Cumin seeds or Cuminum cyminum Linn. It is carminative, antispasmodic and used in dyspepsia and diarrhoea. It is stimulant, diuretic, antibacterial, emmenagogue and galactagogue.
Benefits of Dhanwantharam Gulika
- It pacifies Vata and Kapha Dosha.
- It helps in bloating, flatulence and gas.
- It improves appetite and digestion.
- It gives relief in inflammation.
- It thins the cough.
- It reduces phlegm inside body.
- It lowers lipid level.
- It has Ama-Pachana (scrapes ama from the tissues) property. Ama is metabolic waste and toxins produced in the body due to incomplete digestion of food and is the prime cause of all disease.
- It helps in Kaphapraseka (excessive salivation).
Uses of Dhanwantharam Gulika
- Kasa (Cough)
- Shvasa (Dyspnoea/Asthma)
- Hridroga (Heart disease)
- Yakshma (Tuberculosis)
- Hikka (Hiccup)
- Chardi (Emesis)
- Kaphapraseka (Excessive salivation)
- Giddiness, nausea
- Sandhigata Vata
- Rheumatic diseases, Arthritis
- Pain in the lower back
- Post-natal care
Dosage of Dhanwantharam Gulika
1-2 tablets thrice a day mixed with kwath or jiraka water, after meals or as directed by physician.
Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala (Dhanwantaram Gulika), Pankajakasthuri Herbals India (Dhanwantharam Gulika), Kerala Ayurveda (Dhanwantharam Pills), Nagarjuna (Dhanwantharam Gutika), Arya Vaidya Sala (Dhanwntharam Gulika) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.