Table of Contents
Dashmoola Haritaki is an Ayurvedic medicine. It is an Ayurvedic Avaleha, leha or Rasayana. Avaleha or Leha is a semi-solid preparation which is prepared with addition of jaggery, sugar, honey or sugar-candy and boiled with prescribed herb juice or decoction. The main ingredient of Dashmoola Haritaki is Haritaki (Terminalia chebula Retz./Chebulic Myrobalan) and decoction of Dashmula.
Dashmula/ Dashmoola is polyherbal Ayurvedic combination of ten roots. It consists of Brihat panchamoola, containing five tree species, and Laghu-panchamoola, containing five shrubs.
The name of all ten roots are given below. For trees either the roots or stem bark is used.
- Bilva बिल्व Aegle marmelos Rt./St. Bk.
- Agnimantha अग्निमन्थ Premna mucronata (Official substitute) Rt./St. Bk.
- Shyonaka श्योनाक Oroxylum indicum Rt./St. Bk.
- Kashmari (Gambhari) गंभारी Gmelina arborea Rt./St. Bk.
- Patala पाटला Stereospermum suaveolens Rt./St. Bk.
- Shalaparni शालपर्णी Desmodium gangeticum Pl.
- Prishniparni प्रिश्पर्णी Uraria picta Pl.
- Shvadamishtra Gokshura गोखरू Tribulus terrestris Pl.
- Brihati बृहती Solanum indicum Pl.
- Kantakari कंटकारी Solanum surattense Pl.
In Ayurveda, Dashmoola is used for different ailments especially for inflammation and pain. The ten roots individually possess various beneficial activity. The combination of roots have a balancing action on the three dosha viz. Kapha, Pitta and Vata doshas. It is especially useful for Vata vyadhi.
Some of the important medicinal properties of Dashmula (proven by science studies):
- Anti-Oxidant (Free Radical Scavenging)
- Anti-Inflammatory (Reduces Swelling)
- Antipyretic (Fever Reducing)
- Analgesic (Pain Relieving)
The analgesic activity of Dashamula, both in terms of the degree of analgesia and the time course of action is comparable to that of Diclofenac sodium, a standard Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Dashamula could be a possible alternative to NSAIDs.
Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Dashmula is effective in:
- Especially useful in diseases that occur due to vitiation of Vata and Kapha.
- Fever, sannipat jwar, fever after delivery.
- Inflammation, dizziness
- Low appetite
- Respiratory ailments, cough
Here is given more about Dashamul Haritaki, such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and dosage.
Key Ingredients of Dashamul Haritaki
Dashamula Haritaki is a semisolid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below.
Dashamula Kashaya दशमूल काढ़ा Decoction of Dashamula Kvatha Curna 3.072 l
- Jala पानी for decoction Water 12.288 l reduced to 3.072 l
- Pathya (Haritaki हरीतकी) Terminalia chebula Fr. P. 100 in number
- Guda गुड़ Jaggery 4.8 kg
- Tvak दालचीनी Cinnamomum verum (=C. zeylanicum) St. Bk. 48 g
- Ela इलाइची (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 48 g
- Patra तेजपत्ता (TejaPatra तेजपत्ता) Cinnamomum tamala Lf. 48 g
- Shunthi सोंठ mZingiber officinale Rz. 48 g
- Marica काली मिर्च Piper nigrum Fr. 48 g
- Pippali पिप्पली Piper longum Fr. 48 g
- Yavashukaja (Yavakshara यवक क्षार) Hordeum vulgare Water soluble ash of Pl. 12 g
- Kshaudra (Madhu शहद) Honey 384 g
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;Sd.= Seeds;St.=Stem;St. Bk.= Stem Bark;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of Preparation
- Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Take the powders of Dashamula ingredients in a steel vessel, mix well to make a uniform mixture, add water and soak it overnight.
- Filter the decoction (Kashaya कषाय) through muslin cloth.
- Heat the above mixture to about 1000, till the water reduces to one fourth the volume and Haritaki हरीतकी becomes soft.
- Remove the bundle of Haritaki हरीतकी from Dashamula Kashaya कषाय, separate the pulp of the boiled Haritaki and pulverize in a grinder to make a homogenous paste.
- Cut Guda गुड़ into thin flakes and add to the above Dashamula Kashaya दशमूल काढ़ा in a steel vessel and heat, maintaining the temperature between 800 and 900. After the Guda गुड़ dissolves, filter the hot syrup through muslin cloth.
- Add the paste of Haritaki to the syrup, mix well and heat the mixture with continuous stirring maintaining the temperature between 1000 – 1060. Observe the mixture for formation of soft bolus, which does not disperse in water. Stop heating and allow to cool to 500.
- Add powders of ingredients numbered 7 to 10 in it and mix well.
- On cooling to room temperature add powders of ingredients numbered 4 to 6, followed by honey and mix well to obtain a homogenous mixture.
- Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Brown semi solid, sticky paste, with spicy odour and sweet, pungent taste.
Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured containers, to protect from light and moisture.
Uses of Dashamul Haritaki
Dashamul Haritaki Rasayan is a tonic. It is used in treatment of variety of diseases.
- Abdominal lump
- Abdominal disorder due to slow digestion or accumulated toxins
- Disease of spleen
- Discoloration, Dysuria
- Abnormality of semen
- Difficult breathing, Asthma
- Loss of fat
- Bleeding/hemorrhagic disorders
- Excessive urination
Dosage of Dashamul Haritaki
This medicine should be taken in dose of 6- 12 grams, twice a day.
Take it along with water or milk.