Table of Contents
Dashmula Katutrayadi Kashayam is polyherbal classical Ayurvedic decoction. Decoction or Kadha is also known as Kashaya. This Ayurvedic formulation contains dashmool/ten roots, vasa and trikatu.
Dashmula, is a combination of ten roots and barks of medicinal plants. The decoction of Dashmula, is indicated to treat Kapha and Vata disorders. It has pain reliving and anti-inflammatory properties. It digests the Ama, and gives relief in asthma, fever, and pain. It is a tonic drug.
Trikatu is three pungent viz. Pippali, Maricha and Sunthi. The combination of these medicinal herbs is excellent in curing respiratory illness.
Dasamulakatutrayadi Kwatham is useful in the treatment of respiratory problems, sinus allergy and fever. It decreases aggravated Vata and Kapha in the body. It has mucolytic, anti-inflammatory properties.
Here is given more about Dasamoola Katutrayadi Kashayam such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and dosage.
- Type of medicine: Classical Ayurvedic Medicine
- Reference Text: Sahasrayoga, Kashaya prakarana
- Synonyms: Dasamulakatutrayadi Kashayam, Dasamoolakatutrayam Kashayam, Dasamula Katutrayadi Kwathm
- Availability: Online and at medical stores in the form of Liquid, Powder and Tablets form
- Main Indication: Respiratory ailments, Asthma, difficult breathing, excessive phlegm
- Suitable for: acute and chronic cases of Vata and Kapha vitiation
- Srotas / Channel: Joints, muscles, bones, respiratory organs, digestive system
- Dosha Effect: Reduces Kapha and Vata, Increases Pitta
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Amapachana: Toxin digester
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha
- Pittakar: Increases Pitta
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antispasmodic: Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Anti–allergic: Prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucous from the body.
- Anti–asthmatic: Treat or prevent asthma attacks.
- Antitussive: Prevent or relieve a cough.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Bronchodilator: Dilates the bronchi and bronchioles, decreasing resistance in the respiratory airway and increasing airflow to the lungs.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- Mucolytic: Thins mucus (sputum)
Ingredients of Dashmulakatutrayadi kwatham
Dashmoola or ten roots (equal amount of each) + Trikatu (equal amount of Pippali, Maricha, Shunthi) + Vasa
- Bilva (Rt./St. Bk.) 1 part
- Shyonak (Rt./St. Bk.) 1 part
- Gambhari (Rt./St. Bk.) 1 part
- Patala (Rt./St. Bk.) 1 part
- Agnimantha (Rt./St. Bk.) 1 part
- Shalparni (Pl.) 1 part
- Prishniparni (Pl.) 1 part
- Brihati (Pl.) 1 part
- Kantakari (Pl.) 1 part
- Gokhru (Pl.) 1 part
- Shunthi (Rz.) 1 part
- Maricha (Fr.) 1 part
- Pippali (Fr.) 1 part
- Vrisha (Vasa) (Rt.) 1 part
1) Dashmula: Dashmoola or ten roots consists of roots of Bilva, Agnimantha, Gambhari, Shyonak, Patala and Shalparni, Prishniparni, Brihati, Kantkari and Gokhru. It is extensively used in Ayurveda for treatment of a variety of diseases including inflammation.
It has significant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
Dashmoola have a balancing action on Kapha, Pitta and Vata doshas, and useful especially for Vata-vikar. Its intake reduces inflammation and pain. Decoction of Dashmool pacifies Vata and Kapha in the body.
2) Maricha (Marich) is known as Gol Mirch, Kali Mirch or Black Pepper. It is dried unripe seeds of the plant, Piper nigrum a perennial shrub. It is pungent (Katu) in taste, hot in potency and pungent after digestion (Katu Vipak). It mainly works on digestive, circulatory and respiratory system. It is expectorant, carminative, antipyretic, anthelmintic and antiperiodic. Black Pepper is useful in difficult breathing, chronic indigestion, obesity, sinus congestion, fever, intermittent fever, cold extremities, colic, cooking spice, cholera, gastric ailments, gas, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, worms, sore throat and cough.
Black Pepper should be taken cautiously in High Pitta and digestive inflammations.
3) Pippal, Long Pepper or Dried Catkins, is fruits of a plant Piper longum. It is pungent (Katu) in taste, hot in potency and sweet (Madhur Vipak) after digestion. The main organs on which it works are digestive, reproductive and respiratory. It has analgesic, anthelmintic, aphrodisiac, carminative and expectorant properties and is used in the treatment of digestive and respiratory ailments such as gas, bloating, distension, digestive weakness, excess phlegm, asthma, bronchitis, colds, coughs and laryngitis. It is also used in rheumatic pain, gout, paralysis etc. as it reduces Vata inside the body, gives relief in pain and digests Ama (toxic waste produced in the body to incomplete digestion).
Dried ginger is called Shunthi/Sonth. It is pungent in both the initial and post-digestive tastes (rasa and vipaka) and hot in effect (virya). It gives relief in Vata and Kapha and increases pitta. It is carminative, antiemetic and thermogenic. It is useful in indigestion, low appetite, nausea and piles.
4) Trikatu is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
Benefits of Dashmulakatutrayadi kwatham
- It reduces excessive mucus.
- It helps in difficult breathing.
- It reduces swelling, pain and stiffness in the body.
- It contains Dashmula, Trikatu and Vasa and hence is beneficial in both Vata Roga (painful joints, nerves, ligament, tendons etc.) and Kapha Roga (asthma, cough-cold, catarrh, pneumonia, respiratory infections, hay fever, sinus, fever due to Kapha etc).
- It reduces cough, swelling, pain and weakness after dethe livery.
- It is herbal and safe to take.
- Uses of Dasamulakatutrayadi Kashayam
- Dyspnea, Asthma / shvasa
- Cough / Kasa
- Intercostal neuralgia and pleurodynia / Parshvaruja
- Disease due to Vata dosha / Vataroga
- Pain in sacral region / Trika Ruja
- Pain in the lower back / Prishtha Ruja
- Headache / shiroruja
- Post-dethe livery problems
- Sinus allergy
- Similar respiratory conditions
The Dosage of Dasamulakatutrayadi Kashaya
Dasamulakatutrayadi Kashaya should be taken with 1 spoon honey and lukewarm water. Generally children (above the Age of 12) can be given half of the adult dosage.
Decoction from coarse powder/kwath churna: Boil 50 grams of coarse powder in one liter water till water reduces to one cup. Filter this and divide in three equal parts and drink thrice a day.
Liquid: Mix 5-15 ml with an equal quantity of water and drink after the meal. This should be taken twice/thrice a day after meals for a few months.
Tablet: Take 2-3 tablets, twice a day or as prescribed.
While on treatment, it is advised to drink only lukewarm water.
Pharmacies Making Dasamulakatutrayadi Kashaya
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Arya Vaidya Sala (Dasamula Katutrayadi Kashayam)
- Kottakkal Ayurveda (Dasamula Katutrayadi Kashayam)
- Vaidyaratnam (Dasamulakatutrayadi Kwatham Tablets)
- Nagarjuna (Dasamula Katutrayadi Kasaya )
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- There are no known side-effects of medicine.
- It is best suited for people with Vata and Kapha dominance.
- It increases Pitta and so should be used with caution in summer and by hot temperament individuals and menstruating women.
- Intake in large dose may cause few side-effects such as irritation, burning sensation, hyperacidity, and discomfort.
- It contains Trikuta/Trikatu, which is hot in potency. As per Ayurveda, hot potency items should not be taken in pregnancy.
- It can be safely taken during breastfeeding.