Brahmi Thailam is a medicated herbal hair oil. The chief ingredient of this medicine is Brahmi. It is a medicated oil prepared by cooking medicinal herbs in some base oil. The base oil can be either coconut oil(Nariyal Taila) or seasame oil / Til Taila. Brahmi Taila helps in mental and central nervous system disorders.
This is a herbal oil and safe for everyone. It is used externally for head massage or as a hair oil. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and how to use.
Ingredients of Brahmi Taila
Brahmi Taila is manufactured by many pharmacies with varying ingredients. But the chief ingredient is Brahmi. The Latin name of Brahmi is Centella asiatica (also known as Mandukaparni, Indian Pennywort or Gotu Kola, Thalkuri, Jal Brahmi). Another plant which is known as Brahmi in Ayurveda is Bacopa monnieri.
Brahmi, helps in the brain related disorders due to its following properties:
- Central nervous system relaxant
- Peripheral vasodilator
- Sedative and tranquilizing
- Brain tonic
- It is good for hairs as it treats hair loss, promote re-growth and is a hair tonic.
Along with Brahmi, many other medicinal herbs can also be used in preparation of this oil. In Ayurveda, the herbs which are known to promote hair growth, nourishment, include Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba), Amlaki, Sandalwood (Santalum album), and Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra).
As the base oil coconut oil or sesame / til oil can be used.
Sesame / til oil, is oil extracted from Til or sesame seeds. It contains eight essential amino acids, important for the brain and hence used for head massage and for hair oils. It is heavy, astringent and heating. It treats disorders of Vata. Sesame oil cures swelling, prevents graying and gives strength to hairs.
Coconut oil, is relatively light and cooling. It is more suitable for Pitta prakriti people. Coconut oil is best suited for scalp massaging.
How to Prepare Brahmi oil at Home
You can make Brahmi oil at home. The chief ingredients required are fresh Brahmi leaf juice, coconut oil, and Amla juice. Take equal amount of all the ingredients in a thick base pan and heat at low flame. Cook till all water is evaporated and only oil is left. Filter this and store in a bottle.
Benefits of Brahmi Taila
- It is good herbal medicated oil for hair care.
- It prevents premature hair fall and helps in graying.
- It cures hair dryness.
- It gives strength to hairs.
- It can be used for head massage.
- It is useful in headaches.
- Massaging with this oil gives relief in stress. In the case of stress, anxiety, headache, sleeplessness massage with this oil.
- It is good for Vata and pitta.
- It calms the nerves.
- It is considered tonic for nervous system.
- It is a natural herbal hair rejuvenator and promotes positive memory functioning.
- It has cooling effect on eyes.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Brahmi Taila
- Hair fall, Common baldness, or alopecia
- Nourishing hair
- Stress, anxiety
- Provides relief in migraine
- Chronic emotional disorder
- Brain related disorders
How to apply?
- It is a hair oil and can be used like any other hair oil. You may apply this oil for an hour and then wash off. It is better to warm the oil before use for better absorption.
- It can be used for scalp massaging for relaxation. Massaging improves blood circulation to scalp and strengthens hairs and also gives relief in headache.
- In the case of insomnia, tension headache, stress, use the oil for head massage before going to bed and drink one glass lukewarm milk. Next morning wash your hairs.
Brahmi Thailam is available from many Ayurvedic Pharmacies such as Arya Vaidya Pharmacy (Brahmi Thailam), Nagarjun (Brahmi Tailam) and Kottakkal (Brahmi Oil for Head message).