Table of Contents
Abhayarishta is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine. The chief ingredient of this medicine is Abhaya or Haritaki.
Haritaki/Kadukka/Kadukka/Helela/Chebulic myrobalan or Terminalia chebula is a very important medicinal herb of Ayurveda. It is one of the ingredient of very famous Ayurvedic formulation Triphala. The pericarp of Haritaki fruit is given in abdominal diseases, piles, gas, intestinal worms, enlarged the liver and spleen, vomiting, urinary disorders, and ascites. Haritaki pericarp is purgative, astringent Tonic, carminative, alternative, antispasmodic, antiviral and hypoglycaemic. It is a digestive and energy tonic. It helps to regulate the colon and is good for both constipation and diarrhea.
The intake of Abhayarishta gives relief in constipation, and improves appetite and digestive power. Abhayarishta is especially indicated for piles and constipation. It is also helpful in urinary obstruction. It is also helpful in mild ascites.
Benefits of Abhayarishta
- It has laxative action.
- It improves digestion.
- It gives relief in constipation.
- It removes obstruction to urine.
Here is given more about Abhayarishta such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
Ingredients of Abhayarishta
Abhayarishta is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 percent, and not less than 5 percent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Abhaya ( Haritaki) Terminalia chebula P. 4.8 kg
- Mridvika (Draksha) Vitis vinifera Dr. Fr. 2.4 kg
- Vidanga Embeliaribes Fr. 480 g
- Madhuka Kusuma (Madhuka) Madhuca indica Fl. 480 g
- Jala for decoction Water 49.152 liter reduced to 12.288 liter
- Guda Jaggery 4.8 kg
- Gokshura Tribulus terrestris Fr. 96 g
- Trivrita (Trivrit) Operculina turpethum Rt. 96 g
- Dhanya (Dhanyaka) Coriandrum sativum Fr. 96 g
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa Fl. 96 g
- Indravaruni Citrullus colocynthis Rt. 96 g
- Cavya Piper retrofractum St. 96 g
- Madhurika (Mishreya) Foeniculum vulgare Fr. 96 g
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 96 g
- Danti Baliospermum montanum Rt. 96 g
- Mocarasa (Shalmali) Salmalia malabarica Exd. 96 g
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;St.=Stem;Exd: Exudate;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of preparation
- Take the raw material of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 and 3 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain a coarse powder. Wash and clean the ingredient numbered 2 and 4 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 7 to 16 (Prakshepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain a fine powder.
- Add the specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through a muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
- Add the ingredient number 6 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container;add Dhataki and other finely powdered Prakshepa Dravyas.
- Seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of the fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth. Pack in airtight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation;with aromatic odour and bitter taste.
Store in a cool place in a tightly closed amber colored bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Therapeutic Uses of Abhayarishta
Abhayarishta is indicated in Arsha (piles), Udara (diseases of abdomen), Mootravibandha (retention of urine), Agnimandya (digestive impairment) and Varcovibandha (constipation).
- Piles and fistula
- Loss of appetite
- Intestinal disorders
- Spleen and other intestinal disorders
The Dosage of Abhayarishta
12-24 ml with an equal quantity of water twice daily after meals or as directed by the physician.
For children below six years 2 teaspoonful.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Dabur, Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Sandu, Divya Patanjali Abhayarishta, Pankajakasthuri Herbals India (Abhayarishtam), Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala (Abhayarishtam), Kottakkal, Arya Vaidya Sala, Kerala Ayurveda (Abhayarishtam) and some other pharmacies.