Table of Contents
Amukkara Choornam is herbal Siddha formulation useful in various diseases such as Vata roga, Kapha Roga, splenomegaly (spleen enlargement), leucorrhoea, hiccup, anemia and tuberculosis. It is a nervine tonic and restores normal health, strength, and well-being.
The main ingredient of this medicine is Amukkara or Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Amukkara Choornam has anti-arthritic activity and gives symptomatic relief in rheumatoid arthritis. It is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
Ingredients of Amukkara Choornam
Amukkara Choornam is composed of spices and herbs like Syzygium aromaticum, Cinnamomum wightii, Elettaria cardamomum, Piper nigrum, Piper longum, Zingiber officinale, Withania somnifera and Cane sugar in geometric progression.
- Lavangam (Clove)- Syzygium aromaticum 10 grams
- Sirunaga poo (Cinnamon)- Cinnamomum wightii 20 grams
- Ela arisi (Cardamom)- Elettaria cardamomum 40 grams
- Milagu (Black pepper) Piper nigrum 80 grams
- Thippili (Long pepper)- Piper longum 160 grams
- Chukku (Dry ginger)- Zingiber officinale 320 grams
- Amukkara (Withania)- Withania somnifera 640 grams
- Sharkara (Cane sugar)- 1280 grams
How to make Amukkara Powder at Home?
This medicinal powder can be prepared at home as all the ingredients are easily available. Clove, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Dry ginger are common spices. Mishri, Ashwagandha powder and Long Pepper powder are also easily available.
First take the ingredients in formulated amount. Ground them and sieve through a cloth. Mix all, and store in air-tight container.
Know the Ingredients
1- Ashwagandha / Indian ginseng / Indian winter cherry, refers to the roots of a medicinal plant Withania somnifera. It has antidepressant effect on central nervous system and stimulant effect on the brain and reduces anxiety and stress. HOT in potency and sweet (Madhur Vipak) after digestion.
It is well known for its aphrodisiac property. As it is sedative and tonic, it helps in nervous weakness, fainting, giddiness and insomnia. It helps to gain weight and improves body immunity to keep away infections. It is used in debilitating diseases. Ashwagandha is the main herb for male sexual disorders.
2- Shunthi (Synonyms: Zingiber officinale, Sukku, Chukku, Aushadha, Muhaushadha, Nagara, Vishva, Vishvabheshaja, Shringavera, Vishva) is dry ginger powder. It is HOT in potency and increases pitta and decreases Kapha. It is a digestive stimulant. Ginger is also used to give relief in sea sickness and morning sickness.
3- Pippali is known as Pippali, Pipal, Long Pepper and Dried Catkins. It is fruits of a plant Piper longum. It is pungent (Katu) in taste, HOT in potency and sweet (Madhur Vipak) after digestion.
The main organs on which it works are digestive, reproductive and respiratory. It has analgesic, anthelmintic, aphrodisiac, carminative and expectorant properties and is used in the treatment of digestive and respiratory ailments such as gas, bloating, distension, digestive weakness, excess phlegm, asthma, bronchitis, colds, coughs and laryngitis. It is also used in rheumatic pain, gout, paralysis etc. as it reduces Vata inside the body, gives relief in pain and digests Ama (toxic waste produced in the body to incomplete digestion).
4- Kali Mirch (Synonym: Piper nigrum) is commonly used spice with Analgesic, Antibacterial, Antioxidant, Antiseptic, Digestive, Emmenagogue, Expectorant, Sialagogue and Stomachic properties. It is used traditionally in the treatment of Anorexia, Colic, Constipation, Congestion, Cough, Dyspepsia, Dysuria, Fever, Gas, Hemorrhoid and Water Retention.
Piper nigrum is added to medicines for drug potentiation. It improves the bioavailability of phytochemicals.
5- Ela / Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is COOL n potency. It is Tridoshhara, digestive, carminative, nutritive, laxative, and expectorant. It has diuretic action and gives relief in urinary disorders. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
6- Dalchini or Cinnamon, promotes digestion and cures respiratory ailments. It is useful for both digestive and respiratory system.
7- Cinnamon is carminative, astringent, topical stimulant, aphrodisiac, anti-fungal, antibacterial, diuretic, digestive stimulant and antiseptic.
8- Syzygium aromaticum / Clove, is traditionally used as a carminative, anti-emetic, toothache remedy and counter-irritant.
- Analgesic: Relieve pain.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucous from the body.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antirheumatic: Alleviating or preventing rheumatism.
- Antitussive: Prevent or relieve a cough.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulates sexual desire.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Calmative: Having relaxing or pacifying properties
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Nervine: Tonifying effect on the nervous system.
Uses of Amukkara Choornam
- Kapha Roga
- Rheumatic diseases
- Spleen enlargement
- Vata Roga, Rheumatoid Arthritis, arthritis, chronic inflammation of joints
The Dosage of Amukkara Choornam
The recommended dosage of powder is 1-2 grams with milk, Ghee or honey. It should be taken twice a day.
In Kapha roga, excess mucous, take with honey and in case of Vata roga take with ghee. For promoting strength, weakness, sleep disorders etc take with milk.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- Always take in recommended doses.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- It contains dry ginger, long pepper, black pepper and other hot potency medicinal herbs. Therefore, people suffering from Pitta roga, hyperacidity, bleeding disorders and ulcers should take it cautiously.
- As a general rule, do not take any medicine without consulting gynecologist during pregnancy.
- It is safe to take during breastfeeding.
- It contains sugar and hence it is not suitable for diabetics.
- During treatment take light and easily digestible food. Do not drink alcohol.